a lot of yeast lost through blowoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blbrewer1653

Reaction score
I brewed my hefeweizen on monday and pitched the yeast (wyeast 3068) on monday night. Last night, Tuesday, I came home from work and found that the blowoff was a very milky color and soon realized that it is mostly yeast. I haven't seen any bubbling at all and am growing concerned that I may have lost the majority of my yeast. I'm not trying to be a paranoid brewer but I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if I need to get some more yeast in there?

That has happened to me several times. It'll be fine. I usually switch back to an airlock after it settles down a bit.

I have a special blowoff jug that uses an airlock to keep the contents sterile. I fill the jug with boiled water and use it as an "automatic top-cropper" when fermenting with 3068. Great way to harvest healthy yeast. ;)

6261291267_9579faa96d.jpg

That has happened to me several times. It'll be fine. I usually switch back to an airlock after it settles down a bit.
I guess I'm just concerned because Im not seeing any activity at all from it. thats what makes me think that there isn't enough yeast. is this common with 3068?

blbrewer1653 said:
I guess I'm just concerned because Im not seeing any activity at all from it. thats what makes me think that there isn't enough yeast. is this common with 3068?

Just leave it alone, 3068 is a crazy top cropping yeast and the fact that some blew out is not a concern, there is still a ton in suspension!

Leave the beer alone and let the yeast do what it know how to do, once active fermentation passes activity will slow down and there may not even be any bubbles but I would leave it for at least 3 weeks since 3068 is very slow to drop out so time is required to clear the beer.

There should still be enough yeast to finish the job. You may get more banana esters. I'd wait a week and check the gravity (or after the krausen falls). I'd also double check that the fermenter is airtight.

Just leave it alone, 3068 is a crazy top cropping yeast and the fact that some blew out is not a concern, there is still a ton in suspension!

Leave the beer alone and let the yeast do what it know how to do, once active fermentation passes activity will slow down and there may not even be any bubbles but I would leave it for at least 3 weeks since 3068 is very slow to drop out so time is required to clear the beer.

It's a Hefe, why would you want to let it clear up? 7-10 days and then bottle/keg it and enjoy!

thughes said:
It's a Hefe, why would you want to let it clear up? 7-10 days and then bottle/keg it and enjoy!

Because even at 3 weeks I've never had a clear Hefe:)

I have a special blowoff jug that uses an airlock to keep the contents sterile. I fill the jug with boiled water and use it as an "automatic top-cropper" when fermenting with 3068. Great way to harvest healthy yeast. ;)

6261291267_9579faa96d.jpg

This. Is. Awesome. Going home to make it right this second.

Latest posts

Back