A lot of "trub" in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keither

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

This Christmas my wife gave me a "mr beer" kit. She also ordered several of their "all malt" kits, and I have just made the second one. I know serious hobbyists outgrow the little Mr. Beer fermenter and recipes, but I have been fascinated by the whole process. The first batch, a brown ale, turned out really well, clear and fizzy and brown, and tasted pretty similar to a "Kilkenny" or Big Rock "traditional Ale" (My favorite store-bought beer)

Anyway, I just finished fermenting a stout, and I decided to use some 1-litre glass bottles for bottling rather than the plastic ones. They have those "grolsch" style flippy plug-like lids. They seem to hold a little more than the plastic ones, and this, combined with my repeated "sampling" during the fermentation, resulted in the last bottle being pretty hard to fill properly without tipping the fermenter, which I did. Of course this resulted in a lot of yeast sediment going in there too. I tasted some of the cloudy beer/yeast mixture, and it tastes more or less just as good as the rest of the clear beer in the other bottles (really good, hence the repeated "sampling") so I went ahead and snapped the lid shut and put it away with the other seven bottles.

I'm planning to condition this beer for six months or so, in accordance with the advice in the Mr. Beer book, so I'm kind of hoping the beer in the "bad" bottle will eventually settle out, and I'll be left with just more sediment than usual and maybe a little yeastier taste.

I'm just curious, did I ruin this bottle of beer? Is it worth waiting to see what happens? Will it blow up?

No,it'll be fine. The yeast will settle out to the bottom,leaving clear beer. After the right amount of conditioning time,give the darker beers,like stout 2 weeks fridge time for decent head & carbonation. I've found that darker beers need more time to condition. Fridge time with them must be longer too. Even my Burton ale,a rusty brown strong ale,needed 2 weeks in the fridge after some 2 months conditioning time. Patience will be rewarded.

Ah, excellent. I am excited about this stout because I added some stuff to it. I didn't go crazy, but I added some molasses and some of that "booster" sugar that comes with the original kit, which I didn't use at that time.

It will probably not be as exciting as some of the beer you guys make, but it's my second batch ever, and the wort tasted darn good, so the resulting beer ought to as well. I hope.

Thanks for the replies guys, I will just save that particular bottle for myself, so that nobody cares if it is cloudy. Now I just have to wait until September to see how it all turned out in the end!

Thanks for the replies guys, I will just save that particular bottle for myself, so that nobody cares if it is cloudy.

You're already proud of your beer and want to show off your best.
Yeah, your well on your way:mug:

Back