A little help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSRider

Reaction score
So I havent had much time to AG brew so I did a quick kit last month, I did an imperial stout. I wish I could tell you gravities but the truth is I couldnt find my hydro in my garage as I am in the middle of an engine rebuild and couldnt tell you where it might be. Anyhow, I was going to make this after a local brew which is an imperial sweet stout, its my pops' favorite so I like to make it for him. My AG version turned out great, this one well its too sweet. I am fairly certain it is not the FG being too high, I added a lb of lactose to give it the characteristic taste my dad likes, its the same amount I added to the Ag version but this one is too sweet. It sat in the primary for about 5 weeks, Im sure its done. I need suggestions on how to help this beer a bit. Other than the sweetness, it has a good flavor. I have tons of different kinds of hops laying around(benefits of living in the Yakima valley) can I just boil some up and try to offset it? Any other tricks or suggestions would be appreciated.

make a hop tea and add it. Can't think of another way to offset the sweetness. Could always try pitching more yeast and see if it actually was the FG...

any suggestion on hops, I have Palisade, Sorachi ace, Styrian Aurora, Cascae(whole and pellet) Summit, Styrian Bobek, Galena(like 2 lbs), and Yakima Golding.

Im fairly certain the lactose is the culprit, so I think the hop teas is the way to go.

Also since I have never done this, I dont know how much hops to use, so help there would also be appreciated.

I guess I would select a hop that is the same or similar to one already in the beer, make a couple cups worth of hops tea on the stove (boil longer for more bitter/less flavor - you know the drill) and then start adding and tasting. You could probably use beersmith or a similar program to find the IBU contribution that would be expected if you added the hops to the boil in the first place, and use that as an estimate of its effect when added later. If it were me, I would add about half of it, stir gently, taste, and add more if necessary.

not all extracts are created equal just like mashes are diffrent. The one you used might not be as fermentable as your mash was in the past.

adding hop tea would help bitterness mellow the sweetness.
adding something highly fermentable like corn sugar with some yeast nutrient might be another route to go. But this will take time where the hop tea would not.

Back