A little help on soda set for newbie to it, please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-Guy

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've been a member here for a while, but mostly a beer brewer. My 10 year old is psyched to have root beer on tap (we've made a few batches). So I made a few minor mods to my kegerator and I can now get another corny in there.

So I was thinking I would just add a second regulator and run a line to the corny, and out to a cobra tap (new hole in kegerator). I found a couple of regulators laying around. Pic below. I was thinking I would just run a tube between them, removing one of the cylinder connectors, and have them in serial, and run a separate line to the soda corny. Is there any reason this won't work?

One reason I ask is, on micromatic I see they sell a completely different regulator as a soda regulator. Huh?

Any help would be appreciated!

JAG

Pic of my regulators (as you can see, they are slightly different, I think the one on the left was cheaper):

photo (63).jpg

The difference between these and the ones micromatic sells as soda regulators is that the soda ones have a higher range than these do. Typically a soda fountain post mix setup will run at about 100psi, so the PRV is set to release at something like 110 or 125psi.

These will work just fine. For carbonating in a Corny keg, anything 40 or above is probably overkill. I have an economy BrewLogic regulator from midwest supplies and the PRV will blow at 55-60psi and I never get up that high with soda. Since they both look like they're intended to go straight on the tank, I wouldn't have any reservations about hooking them up in serial.

Thank you! I really appreciate the response. Checking out your blog and book, very cool, thanks!

JAG

You need to be careful how you connect your regulators together since they both will have 750psi or whatever your bottle pressure is across them. I connected two primary regulators with a left hand threaded stem similar to this one:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/regulator-connection-stem-left-hand-thread.html You will need to check if your regulators are right hand or left hand threaded.

You need to be careful how you connect your regulators together since they both will have 750psi or whatever your bottle pressure is across them. I connected two primary regulators with a left hand threaded stem similar to this one:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/regulator-connection-stem-left-hand-thread.html You will need to check if your regulators are right hand or left hand threaded.

Thanks for the response. I ended up actually calling Micromatic about this (where I purchase most of my equipment). They were very helpful. I ended up buying a a regulator made to mount inline with a primary regulator. I have it set up now and am presently waiting for a batch of root beer to carbonate. Everything seems to be working fine. Thanks for the help!

JAG

good deal. What root beer did you end of going with? I just ordered a few of the Rio extracts from Prairie Moon. I had them a long time ago and thought they were good for the price.

good deal. What root beer did you end of going with? I just ordered a few of the Rio extracts from Prairie Moon. I had them a long time ago and thought they were good for the price.

We just picked up some extract from the LHBS, I forget the brand. Mixed it up with some sugar and honey and a little vanilla. Turned out a bit strong and sweet, we tried it tonight (still not very carbonated). Will likely open it up and add some water after we drink a bit of it. First try at this, it's simple of course but that means I could screw it up....

lol, too true. I've found it to work better to carbonate the water for 4 days @ 40 psi, then add the syrup (made beforehand). It seems to take forever to carb up the other way around. You just need to pour slow and preferable outside in case it foams over. A few shakes of the keg and you've got instant soda.

Let us first check out the blogs and website and then can say what to do with this..

Back