Insulation between kegerator and tap with counter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJbeerfan55

Reaction score
Hello

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a new kegerator and will be below a countertop. I have seen a few suggestions but unsure the best route to insulate the gap between the kegerator and the tap between the countertop. The kegerator came with a cooled system that looks like a chimney but the screw holes for some reason do not line up.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Have attached three photos. One from inside the kegerator, one outside of kegerator (counter top being installed shortly) and the piece that was provided with the kegerator but doesn’t seem to work.

Attachments

• IMG_6546.png
    IMG_6546.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6543.jpeg
    IMG_6543.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6539.jpeg
    IMG_6539.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Are you saying the holes in the metal flange do not line up with the holes in the plastic trim on the inside of the fridge? I've never seen that specific build before, but I'm assuming the skinny metal tube gets pushed up through the hole and secured from inside. That metal part does not look like a typical faucet tower, but maybe it is some custom skinny type. Is there a hole in the upper side of that thing where the faucet shank would attach?

Yeah, I was going to ask for a picture or two of the actual faucet tower. I'm assuming that skinny metal thing is "cooled system that looks like a chimney." Maybe it goes inside the tower to supply cold air?

Thanks everyone. Took a few more pictures. The metal tube ideally would go from inside the kegerator upwards however it doesn’t acrew into the plastic housing. I have been told it is ok to use self tapping screws and go right into the metal of the kegerator. Doesn’t seem ideal. The draft tower will go on top of the countertop and sit on top of this chimne.

Didn’t know if there is another
IMG_6552.jpeg
way to do this with pvc etc.

Attachments

• IMG_6554.jpeg
    IMG_6554.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6553.jpeg
    IMG_6553.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6555.jpeg
    IMG_6555.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Right. If all that tube is doing is conveying the beer lines to the underside of a counter-mounted beer tower it could be silicone gooped to the fridge and it'd work. It looks like you have it screwed in securely so that's even better. Wrap it with at least an inch thick foam insulation and you should be in business...

Cheers!

Thanks to you both for your help. Would you suggest silicone or the goop product to seal it? I’m a bit concerned with screwing into the kegerator as there are no pilot holes and I would be screwing directly into the unit. Are there any other suggested ways to usually do this if I didn’t have this piece.

And when you mention insulation are you referring to the foam insulation that comes out of the can and expands?

Thanks, as I’m very new to all of this!

How about drilling holes into the tube flange to line up with the pre-drilled holes in the kegerator and trying to find a gasket to put in between?

Are there any other suggested ways to usually do this if I didn’t have this piece.
If you didn't have that piece you would use a standard tower which should have holes that match the ones in the top of the fridge. But you probably already have a pretty sweet-looking counter-mounted beer tower that's designed to work with it.

How about drilling holes into the tube flange to line up with the pre-drilled holes in the kegerator and trying to find a gasket to put in between?

If you didn't have that piece you would use a standard tower which should have holes that match the ones in the top of the fridge. But you probably already have a pretty sweet-looking counter-mounted beer tower that's designed to work with it.

Thanks. Unsure if that is an option. Also tried to run two beer lines down thru the pipe and they don’t seem to fit. May need to go with pvc

don’t seem to fit
What are the dimensions: beer line outer diameter and 'chimney' inner diameter? (@NJbeerfan55 , consider tossing that fat vinyl beer line I'm imagining and using 8mm OD EVAbarrier instead. )

Will the hole in your counter be wide enough to allow your screwdriver to reach the Chimney flange to attach (and detach when the fridge needs service/replacement)? Glue would seem kinda permanent.

Your pics haven't conveyed the whole picture of what you're trying to achieve. Can't tell how many taps, unless I've missed that.

Thanks for your note. I have attached a photo of the tap. There is two lines and having trouble running the two lines through. Is it possible to disconnect the lines from where the beer is drafted?

Attachments

• IMG_6568.jpeg
    IMG_6568.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6569.jpeg
    IMG_6569.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6552.jpeg
    IMG_6552.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for your note. I have attached a photo of the tap. There is two lines and having trouble running the two lines through. Is it possible to disconnect the lines from where the beer is drafted?
If you mean disconnect the lines from the the shanks then yes, you'll need a shank wrench:
Shank wrench.jpg

Here's a couple:
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/kegtool.htmhttps://www.morebeer.com/products/komos-pro-draft-wrench-1.htmlYou just pop off the top and undo the shank to get at the barbs;
removeshank.jpg

shankout1.jpg

Back