A little bit of advise would be nice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamielee451

Reaction score
Hello

I started my brew on new years day, followed all instructions step by step, adding the yeast etc.

Today there still seems no activity, I have read various threads and still am quite worried I've messed up.

Anyway, today, I opened my fermentar tub and realised that there was a lot of brown residue around the edges above the brew, I made a guess that in transporting the tub to a warmer area, the yeast stuck to the sides and didn't mix into the brew, so with a sanitized spoon, I used the ale in the tub to bring the residue into the ale, and once complete, I re-attached the lid. Within minutes the airlock started to bubble, so Im guessing I was right in thinking the residue was the yeast.

My questions are;

1. Could I have damaged the yeast in doing the above process?
2. Should I class the fermentation from now and not new years day?
3. Would the ale sitting without yeast be damaged being sat there for 3 days in the tub?
4. I also have the tools to check the volume, but to access any of the ale, it means, taking the lid off and dipping my tube which you put the hydrometer in, into the ale, will this affect the ale?

Sorry for my complete lack of knowledge, I love to drink ale, but have never brewed it, and recieved this kit as a surprise christmas present.

Hard to know, but it sounds as if the beer already hit high krauesen (most vigorous part of fermentation), indicated by the ring above the surface of the beer. When you stirred it up, CO2 started to come out of solution, causing the airlock to bubble when you reattached the lid.

If you did not kill your yeast, the likeliest explanation is that you missed the really active part of fermentation or your lid was not sealed. To find out for sure, take a hydrometer reading. You want to do this in a separate tube, not directly in the fermenter.

here's my theory. your fermentation went fine but you didn't have your lid down tight enough for the airlock to bubble. the brown stuff is called krausen and it's a sign of fermentation. when you snapped the lid back on you made a good seal on your lid and the gases only way to escape was the proper way through the airlock.

you're beer should be fine. check the gravity of it to see if it fermented. if you're not sure how to do that yet then pull a sample and taste it. If its sugary sweet then not good. if it tastes kinda like beer then you're all set

For what its worth, I agree with the posters above that your lid just was not on the whole way and the brown stuff was left over krausen from the fermentation you didn't realize was happening.

thanks for your advice,

It makes sense, but I just think 72 hours later, would the ale have fermented so quick? As I only started it new years day afternoon.

Also you mentioned 'if you didn't kill your yeast', could what I have done killed the yeast then? I mean scrapping it down into the mix with the spoon.

I know how to use the hydrometer, but wondered whether it would be fine to transfer some of the liquid to the tube to test it in, by filling the tube from the tub the mix is in?

I will taste and test tomorrow and update on the situation.

Thanks

Ps. the day after starting the mix, I was paranoid, and checked the lid was completely down, it was sealed right round, which is why I believed the brown residue was the yeast.

thanks for your advice,

It makes sense, but I just think 72 hours later, would the ale have fermented so quick? As I only started it new years day afternoon.

Also you mentioned 'if you didn't kill your yeast', could what I have done killed the yeast then? I mean scrapping it down into the mix with the spoon.

I know how to use the hydrometer, but wondered whether it would be fine to transfer some of the liquid to the tube to test it in, by filling the tube from the tub the mix is in?

I will taste and test tomorrow and update on the situation.

Thanks

Yes, it easily could have fermented in 72 hours. The bulk of many of my fermentations is complete within 72 hours and peters out over the next several days. The brown stuff stuck to the side of the bucket is most likely residual krausen/trub that sticks to inside of the fermenter after fermentation has died down. This happens to every one of my beers.

I have to agree, I think the lid didn't form a seal. Just because the lid is on tight doesn't mean the rubber gasket on the inside is making full contact with both the lid and rim of the bucket. You wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at it since the gasket is concealed inside the lid.

Also, many people use something called a Thief to take the sample and place it into the tube for a hydrometer reading. I wouldn't go dipping the tube in by hand, it seems like you'd be asking for a contamination.

You can buy a Thief online or from your LHBS.

You did not harm the yeast with the spoon. They are microscopic organisms. The only concern is pre-pitching. I see posts where people have boiled their yeast or rehydrated it at really high temps. That's a good way to kill them.

Thank you

I saw a guy on you tube using a thief and wondered what it was, and my mind is at rest with the yeast as I didn't do any of the above, I just followed the package instructions.

I will order a 'thief' now, and test the beer on its arrival, if this batch doesn't turn out good, its all part of the learning process Im sure my next batch will

Thanks for all your advice.

jaimelee

my bucket fermenter lid never completely seals but i have had several successful brews in it. The airlock never moves, but after checking the first few I just have a little faith and check it with my hydrometer prior to racking to secondary.

I can't believe no one said it yet, and being that its the guys first batch it may not matter, but always remember the following

RDWHAHB (relax, don't worry, have a home brew!)

Ha

Thanks, today, I sanitised a cup and dipped it in, tasted a little, it tastes sort of like ale,not sugary, and then I did a test and it reads, 1.008, so apparently I have to wait until its below 1.006 before transferal to keg. So all seems well, fingers crossed, thanks for the advice.

Ps, once I've done this a few times, I think I'll venture into the making the whole mix myself, so i'll probably be asking some more questions then.

Ask many as you want, thats what the forum is for.

The search function is a great tool and will often either lead to more questions or answer some you didn't know you had.

just for future reference my lids for the ale pails i have bought never came with a rubber seal and never did seal right.I always got into the habit of using duct tape around the lid just to make sure.(because i like seeing bubbles)this fixed the problem and the airlocks always bubble this way. thats why i ditched the buckets for carboys with carboy caps,problem solved. just my thoughts

Ha

Thanks, today, I sanitised a cup and dipped it in, tasted a little, it tastes sort of like ale,not sugary, and then I did a test and it reads, 1.008, so apparently I have to wait until its below 1.006 before transferal to keg.

1.008 is a good number - and it may or may not get lower.
However, now is the hard part. Patience.
Inspite of any instructions, ask or search - you will find that the majority of experience here suggests 3-4 weeks in the fermenter, inspite of the rapid activity of the first few days.

Congrats on the brew!

so are you saying, I should keep it in the tub its in for 3-4 weeks (primary fermentation stage), then do the secondary fermentation, or transfer it to the barrel now for secondary fermentation (with sugar added) letting it rest for the suggested 3-4 weeks?

Ha... more questions

so are you saying, I should keep it in the tub its in for 3-4 weeks (primary fermentation stage), then do the secondary fermentation, or transfer it to the barrel now for secondary fermentation (with sugar added) letting it rest for the suggested 3-4 weeks?

Ha... more questions

Primary container for 3-4 weeks. You will not add the priming sugar until you are ready to rack it into your bottling bucket to either bottle or keg. That sugar will add your carbonation.

thats great, i'll follow your advice, not the kit's instructions, that just says, 7 to 14 days, i'll give it 3 more weeks in the primary state then,

thanks

yep, those kit makers are in it to sell kits -

"you can make beer in just 10 days!" :drunk:

sure you can, but it's not going to be it's best...

secondaries are a personal preference, and many still do that, but it's just another opportunity for oxidation and contamination.

I use them (secondaries) when I am dry-hopping, as I feel the hop flavor is brighter when they're not sitting in trub.

What temperature did you ferment at? Many new brewers who have fast ferments have them because the beer is too warm. I'm not saying you did, but you want your BEER (not room) to be mid-low 60s. Warmer will give you faster fermentation, and if your beer gets above 70ish, you can get some weird off flavors. Beer can be up to 10F warmer than the ambient temperature (ask me how I know).

The beer temps around 60.8, so I'm guessing that's okay? Unfortunately the room temp can change, as I live in a shared house and some house mates are accustomed to leaving the doors open and letting the temperature escape.

ps. and that is the warmest room in the house really, a big old English house with a flat roof is hard top keep warm, ha

"Ferments out" = ferments to completion, no more fermentable sugars left in the beer. You are pretty close to that point now - but like others have said, just let it sit for another couple weeks. Temperature control is most important during the active early stage, which you are past. So just relax, let it sit.

And as for "how can I tell?" - conventional wisdom is the hydrometer will tell you, by giving stable readings over a 3-day period. Me, I just let it sit.

For your next batch, look into a swamp cooler - I use a big plastic tub I got in the gardening section of the hardware store. I put the carboy in that, and partially fill with water, maybe 2/3 up to the beer line. Keeps the temp stable, and I can rotate ice bottles in and out to keep it cool, if need be. Cheap and dirty, works great.

btw, 60 now doesn't mean it fermented at 60. The first few days get crazy for the yeast - those are the days to watch your temps. After a week, not so critical (although keep it in range).

It's just that even though ambient temps might be 60, you're fermenting at 72...during the most important part. And if that's your yeast range, that's fine. But if you're fermenting in a room that's 70, and you think putting the bucket in a corner is fine - you'll be fermenting closer to 80 those first few days, and that's way to high for any yeast strains I use.

Being that it sounds like you had krausen above the beer, it sounds like it got busy while you were not looking at it. I think you will be fine. Plastic buckets are notorious for letting air leak out. Your hydrometer won't lie. As you accumulate more equipment, a glass carboy with a rubber stop and air lock will give you a good seal. (plus you get to see the process unfold through the glass)

Now im a little confused, ha, I have just took the hydrometer reading again, and it reads 1.01 and my last reading was 1.008, is this possible for it to rise, or was my first reading probably the case of me being stupid and miss reading.

Back