A Game of Thrones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Btw, how wonderfully goofy does Brienne look in that Kingsguard helmet? God I love her.

Never understood the fascination with Brienne. Definitely not a bad character, but not one of my favorites.

Also I hope we get to see more of Beric Dondarrion and the Brotherhood without Banners.

Btw, how wonderfully goofy does Brienne look in that Kingsguard helmet? God I love her.

Never understood the fascination with Brienne. Definitely not a bad character, but not one of my favorites.

Also I hope we get to see more of Beric Dondarrion and the Brotherhood without Banners.

I'm kind of a weird dude I guess. Other favorite characters include Prince Doran Martelle and Dolorous Ed.

Then we're weird-mates because my favorite SoIaF characters are, in order:
#1 Tyrion (duh!)
#2 Ed Tollett
#3 Brienne of Tarth
#4 Davos Seaworth
#5 Arya Stark (aka "Arry", "Weasel", "Nan", etc.)

For me it would have to be

1) Tyrion
2) Beric Dondarrion just because he is a badass
3) Barristan the Bold-also a badass
4) Davos- The onion knight
5) Arya

Doran Martell is cool and Oberyn was badass.

Ghost of Harrenhal was a pretty good episode. Good character and story development, especially the scene between Tywin and Arya. Tywin actually came out as a pretty decent/moral guy. However there wasn't a whole lot of action minus Brienne messing those guys up and well...I wont say it in case someone hasnt watched it.

Also no nudity...

Ghost of Harrenhal was a pretty good episode. Good character and story development, especially the scene between Tywin and Arya. Tywin actually came out as a pretty decent/moral guy. However there wasn't a whole lot of action minus Brienne messing those guys up and well...I wont say it in case someone hasnt watched it.

Also no nudity...

Yup, well said. This can only mean next episode will be loaded with action and perhaps more nudity. GoT never fails.-

Definitely seeing a lot of straying from the books, but cant say I dislike it.

The scene with Jaqen at the end made me shiver. Seeing that play out will be a lot of fun. For the record my lineup:

1) Tyrion
2) Davos
3) Brienne
4) Prince Doran Martell
5) Dolores Ed Tollett

Why does everyone like Dolorous Ed, I don't remember much of him from the book. By that I mean he didn't do anything big to make me remember him.

Why does everyone like Dolorous Ed, I don't remember much of him from the book. By that I mean he didn't do anything big to make me remember him.

I don't understand placing him in the faves, but he is just always hilarious in the Jon chapters.

I am relatively sure that I cannot stand not knowing what the author will do with this story, so I have determined I am going to read the books now. I will get them on my way home from work.

Prepare to be a bit pissed off at times - you will likely throw at least 2 of the books against the wall while reading.

I said it before, but I wish we could give the Casting Director some sort of major award.

Ingrit IS Ingrit. That is how I pictured her, completely.

I said it before, but I wish we could give the Casting Director some sort of major award.

Ingrit IS Ingrit. That is how I pictured her, completely.

I've felt that a great to fair job was done with most of the characters; however, I was really dissappointed in Craster (not even remotely similar).

I'm racking my brain trying to remember Ingrit - are you referring to Ygritte?

Although he's described differently, I actually pictured Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, so I was really happy with his casting.

I've felt that a great to fair job was done with most of the characters; however, I was really dissappointed in Craster (not even remotely similar).

I'm racking my brain trying to remember Ingrit - are you referring to Ygritte?

Although he's described differently, I actually pictured Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, so I was really happy with his casting.

Yeah I did, sorry. The redheaded wildling Jon Snow falls for.

The twists in this story are so unreal. You just don't seem them coming!

Game of Thrones, every episode is just better than the previous one.

Enjoy everybody and happy brewing.

CAUK said:
Then we're weird-mates because my favorite SoIaF characters are, in order:
#1 Tyrion (duh!)
#2 Ed Tollett
#3 Brienne of Tarth
#4 Davos Seaworth
#5 Arya Stark (aka "Arry", "Weasel", "Nan", etc.)

I find Brienne to be immeasurably dull, but everybody has to love Tyrion, and Arya is definitely a personal favorite of mine.

*BEGIN SPOILER ALERT (Safe for those caught up on the show)*

Though, after the last episode - assuming those bodies at the end DID belong to who we're meant to assume - I'm kind of afraid of getting attached/emotionally invested in characters now, because it's obvious that NOBODY is safe, unlike most stories where some of the central characters are obviously intended to remain alive, at least until the ultimate climax of the overarching story (e.g. In Breaking Bad, you can definitely assume that Walt won't die off suddenly, and pretty safely assume the same for his family, Jessie, etc).

*/END SPOILER ALERT*

I just finished the books two days ago..I hate the note at the end of the fourth book, but I knew it to be coming when I picked it up. There was no way he could tie everything together quick enough.

It took 3 days after I got the four of them. Now I need something else to delve into, when is he coming out with the next booK?

The fifth book (A Dance with Dragons) came out last year, so it'll probably be 3-4 years until the penultimate one.

The fifth book (A Dance with Dragons) came out last year, so it'll probably be 3-4 years until the penultimate one.

SOB, I jumped this train late..I thought I was waiting on the fifth book. You just made me happy as hell. I'm reading it tonight. (I ordered a box set of 4, didn't realize the 5th was out there).

ArcaneXor said:

3-4 years? So looking at almost a decade for the last of the series?

What's the show going to do once they're caught up?

3-4 years? So looking at almost a decade for the last of the series?

What's the show going to do once they're caught up?

Well, it has already been announced that book 3 will be split into two seasons (although I think only the first half has been greenlit). The producers already know the rough storyline of the last two books, given that Martin isn't the youngest and, well, rather obese. If the series lasts until the end, I am sure they'll figure something out. And, of course, there is no obligation to film a season each year - the Sopranos needed 8.5 years to get through its six seasons.

3-4 years? Try 5-6 or longer. It was at least 6 years between book 4 and 5 and the time between publication dates has only gotten longer. Plus he is getting older and...well fatter so I wouldnt be surprised if the series doesnt get finished (7 books total).

The "old and fat" thing really hurt GRRM. He grinned and bore hearing it like the gentleman he is, but you could tell he was hurt to the bone. I think he will put out another one, but it will be on his own time, and I'm ok with that.

CreamyGoodness said:
The "old and fat" thing really hurt GRRM. He grinned and bore hearing it like the gentleman he is, but you could tell he was hurt to the bone. I think he will put out another one, but it will be on his own time, and I'm ok with that.

Did someone say this to him?

Yes, more than one person. He talks about it on his "not a blog."

Again, being a gentleman, he didnt call anyone out by name (he's a better man than I would have been). I get really fired up about this because I think it is one of THE very best examples of a society devoid of manners. /rant

He calmly stated that he never claimed to want to work on Ice and Fire exclusively, and has many projects he is interested in. Also, his doctor has told him that he is pretty healthy for a rotund guy, and he isnt planning on dropping dead yet. His age, health, and weight, are however (it should go without saying) absolutely none of anyone's business.

If I cant stand the wait anymore I will read Fevre Dreams or Wild Cards or Dunk and Egg etc. etc. I hear they are outstanding, and he is as proud of them as he is Ice and Fire.

CreamyGoodness said:
Yes, more than one person. He talks about it on his "not a blog."

Again, being a gentleman, he didnt call anyone out by name (he's a better man than I would have been). I get really fired up about this because I think it is one of THE very best examples of a society devoid of manners. /rant

He calmly stated that he never claimed to want to work on Ice and Fire exclusively, and has many projects he is interested in. Also, his doctor has told him that he is pretty healthy for a rotund guy, and he isnt planning on dropping dead yet. His age, health, and weight, are however (it should go without saying) absolutely none of anyone's business.

If I cant stand the wait anymore I will read Fevre Dreams or Wild Cards or Dunk and Egg etc. etc. I hear they are outstanding, and he is as proud of them as he is Ice and Fire.

Yeah. That sucks. However, people have said, earlier in this thread I believe, that he doesn't owe anything to fans to finish the series. I kind of agree with this but having made the majority of his money from the series, I think he does owe it to fans to finish it.

Well, it has already been announced that book 3 will be split into two seasons (although I think only the first half has been greenlit). The producers already know the rough storyline of the last two books, given that Martin isn't the youngest and, well, rather obese. If the series lasts until the end, I am sure they'll figure something out. And, of course, there is no obligation to film a season each year - the Sopranos needed 8.5 years to get through its six seasons.

HBO and GRRM collaborated extensively to simultaneously promote Game of Thrones (TV) as a promotion of Dance with Dragons, which was released the following year. Storm of Swords topped out at just shy of 1,000 pages and HBO is splitting it into two parts, as the paperback was in Europe. DwD was even longer and may be treated the same way. So, if we assume that GRRM and HBO continue to collaborate in the same manner as they have been, that GRRM sticks to his current writing projection, and he is not (in fact) Robert Jordan, then an optimal publication/production synergy would follow...

2011 Game of Thrones, season 1 (GoT); A Dance with Dragons published
2012 Game of Thrones, season 2 (CoK)
2013 Game of Thrones, season 3 (SoS p1)
2014 Game of Thrones, season 4 (SoS p2)
2015 Game of Thrones, season 5 (FfC); Winds of Winter published
2016 Game of Thrones, season 6 (DwD p1)
2017 Game of Thrones, season 7 (DwD p2)
2018 Game of Thrones, season 8 (WoW); A Dream of Spring published
2019 Game of Thrones, season 9 (aDoS)

I don't think this is an unreasonable expectation, but these assumptions are big ones. It's very likely that aDoS will be a hefty manuscript. I'm also not holding my breath that HBO will continue to produce this show for another 7 years. They're profiting now, but this wave of post-Whedon fantasy/sci-fi enthusiasm is just a fad. Soon enough the public will lose interest in all this stuff and we'll just have to settle for reading it, as we always have.

This thread got me to check out Game of Thrones. Wow.
I've just started season two and my poor dog must hate this show. The surround sound gets cranked up high, and I'm yelling "Oh ****!!" several times an episode.

i've watched both seasons and am currently about 100 pages from finishing the first book.. i keep finding myself being so captivated that i keep thinking something else will happen, even though i know the outcome of the first 2 books.. so looking forward to getting to the 3rd before the next season starts up

Nice link, thanks.

I was really hoping this post was going to be a teaser/update about the books. I really don't see how GRRM can possibly wrap up the numerous character's journeys in only two books.

Two books seems about right to me. Stuff is about to go down at the beginning of the next book I hear. All two (three?) of the battles that were about to take place at the end of the last book supposedly happen rather quickly. These last two I think will be much faster moving and I have no idea where they are moving too.

Stuff is also about to go down in the next season of the TV show.

Back