Can an overnight mash recover a too hot mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's good to remember that enzymes do not denature all at once. It is not an on/off switch. Furthermore, with extended time, only a very small amount of beta is needed to carry on the job.
I'm thinking, I might do an overnight mash again if I mess up strike temp on the high end. Give those lone betas a chance to ravage the lands.

I might even try with my next NEIPA to replicate this and mash starting at 73C and letting it drop to 71C and then overnight. Luckily with the style if it finishes higher it's not the end of the world.

I haven't read the entire thread, but you could end up with a sour mash. I've purposely done a sour mash a couple times by leaving it for 24 hours. Your temps may have been too high for that though. I think the ideal temp for a sour mash is between 100-110F (38-43C).

I haven't read the entire thread, but you could end up with a sour mash. I've purposely done a sour mash a couple times by leaving it for 24 hours. Your temps may have been too high for that though. I think the ideal temp for a sour mash is between 100-110F (38-43C).
You are right, it depends on the temperature. If it cannot be maintained, then the mash will sour. Made my first kettle sure this way by accident, was quite alright actually :D

I think 62c and 10 hours may be a bit hot and short for the lactobacillus. However this was a consideration when I did this 👍

Just thought I'd update. Did my second hydrometer reading and it's steady at its FG of 1.013 so I'm cold crashing and then bottling tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• IMG20220407224441.jpg
    IMG20220407224441.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
Completely irrelevant to the overnight mash / high temp mash question but more to do with the actual beer and the NEIPA style and bottling.

Here are two pictures of the same beer. The first being the last bottle filled about half way (maybe just over actually between 1/2 - 2/3) the other second photo filled to the brim (literally too much, note to self it nearly pushed out of the rubber gasket of the flip top so I cooled them down in the conditioning tub).

One is brown from what I can assume is the oxygen mixing with the proteins and hop oils and the other fresh and bright as hell. Obviously everyone by now know oxygen is the main enemy of the NEIPA but I thought another visual representation after 6 days can't be a bad thing.

Attachments

• IMG20220414211808.jpg
    IMG20220414211808.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG20220415225034.jpg
    IMG20220415225034.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 6
Completely irrelevant to the overnight mash / high temp mash question but more to do with the actual beer and the NEIPA style and bottling.

Here are two pictures of the same beer. The first being the last bottle filled about half way (maybe just over actually between 1/2 - 2/3) the other second photo filled to the brim (literally too much, note to self it nearly pushed out of the rubber gasket of the flip top so I cooled them down in the conditioning tub).

One is brown from what I can assume is the oxygen mixing with the proteins and hop oils and the other fresh and bright as hell. Obviously everyone by now know oxygen is the main enemy of the NEIPA but I thought another visual representation after 6 days can't be a bad thing.
A picture really is worth a thousand words.

Non-scientific just observational. Compare the carbonation test bottle colour after 2 weeks again head space was much more than the filled high bottles. Tasted great still though

And here is another filled high bottle (I think it's darkened slightly since bottling but the smell still popped 👌). Didn't taste very different but smell was lost a bit in the test PET bottle when compared to this filled high one.

Obviously it's oxygen/oxidation causing the problem on the under filled bottles. However I've got a weird feeling that it's not the traditional effects of oxidation we're seeing. With this drastic colour change I would expect to taste the difference however that doesn't seem to happen.

Attachments

• IMG20220409083034.jpg
    IMG20220409083034.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20220422211433.jpg
    IMG20220422211433.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20220422221733.jpg
    IMG20220422221733.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Back