A Game of Thrones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a very good adaptation. I have been very pleased. You could always download it...might be breaking a law...

I also don't know how he is going to wrap it up. A lot of unfinished plot lines but Dance of Dragons was definitely an improvement over book 4.

Those who frequent this site exhibit a certain type of self reliance, we brew at home as we please, when we please, what we please. Feel free then friend to say it, Game of Thrones can be viewed at home with no HBO as easily as a brew can be had in a place with no Total Wine.

We think alike, we are home brewers after all.

Happy brewing to ya all, I am off to begin the Ritual as I write, company awaits.

Relevant:
Game-of-Thrones-1.jpg

Red Wedding is in book 3 I thought. I thought it was in Clash of Kings but I just had a friend read it and I kept mentioning "just wait until the red wedding" and after he finished it I asked him what he thought and it wasn't in Clash of kings. Just wiki'd it and it's in storm of swords.

Or has HBO decided to put it season 2?

The guy playing Jaime is fantastic. Actually, I cant think of anyone who isnt 100% what I would have expected. MAYBE Craster is a little off, but thats only if I try really hard to gnit-pick.

CreamyGoodness said:
The guy playing Jaime is fantastic. Actually, I cant think of anyone who isnt 100% what I would have expected. MAYBE Craster is a little off, but thats only if I try really hard to gnit-pick.

Agreed. All characters are spot on. Except I thought stannis would be taller and skinnier.

I agree on the characters.

I found it funny that the wolves appear to go from actual dogs / huskies in season one to a giant CGI wolf in season two (Rob's at least).

So then its true of the Red Wedding, perhaps a brew is made in its name and reserved, time permitting of course. I was thinking of a Red Ale, not sure if it is going to be an Amber or Irish. It will be summer, it will be warmer, perhaps an American Amber but double hopped.
I would gladly make the proposition below:

Red Wedding Ale
MALT:
2 Row 84% whichever you prefer.
C-150 7.5% the highest of the C malts.
Carapils 7.5% you ll need it for this one.
De-bittered black 1% the give that extra Blood Red SRM we are looking for.
HOPS:
Admiral 60 min 12-13 IBU
Columbus 45 min 10-11 IBU
Centennial 30 min 6-7 IBU
Centennial 15 min 4-5 IBU
Cascade 0 min Go wild on this one, add as much or as little as you want, I know I will.
If you are gonna double hop, then I suggest:
Centennial & Cascade 1:2 proportions dry hop the mother out of it, or as you please.

OG: 1.050
IBU: 35-36
Color: 15-16 SRM
FG: 1.013 ish
ABV: 5.0% ish

Red Wedding, an event worth brewing for!

Happy brewing to ya all, cant wait till next Sun night.

Liquidicem said:
I agree on the characters.

I found it funny that the wolves appear to go from actual dogs / huskies in season one to a giant CGI wolf in season two (Rob's at least).

I was wondering how they were going to do the dire wolves and I thought grey wind looked awesome. The production value of the show is very good.

Didnt read the preceding pages so I have no idea if this was already said but I really hope GRRM is alive long enough to finish the series. The time between publication dates has been getting longer and longer so Im honestly not sure if he will finish it. It took him 5 between A storm of swords and a feast for crows and 6 between feast for crows and dances with dragons. So does that mean 7 until winds of winter and 8 until book 7? He will definitely be dead.

Oh well, at least we have season 2 premiere tonight.

I'm hoping that there's a clause in the HBO contract that will keep GRRM on a stricter timeline for books 6 and 7... :D

*Disclaimer, I am not attacking any of the HBT people here*
I might have mentioned this before, but its one of my go-to rants. Fans of GRRM have written him emails and even singled him out at book signings, directly saying "you are getting old and fat and we are afraid you will die before we get the whole series."

I cannot express how entitled, foolish, and completely f'ed up a person would have to be to say that.

GRRM is obviously a far kinder, level-headed and gracious man than I ever will be. I would have offered that person a refund on every book of mine they had bought in return for never contacting me again. I would also suggest that self-mutilation might be an option for them.

Mr. Martin owes no one anything. I dont even think he is on contract to put out the next book. If tomorrow he sent out a press release saying "Parris and I are moving to Scotland where we will roger bi-hourly whilst drinking scotch and eating haggis, and there will be no more Ice and Fire Books, and by the way, eat my ass," he STILL has fulfilled the obligations he has to his fans. IE... not a damn thing.

With that said... God I want him to put out the rest of the books :confused:

I think thats what we are all saying. He doesnt have any contractual obligation to his fans but considering the massive amount of money he has made, it would be nice for him to finish the series. Sure he could get up and move and say Im never finishing the series, deal with it and no one could say anything but that doesnt necessarily make it right.

I think thats what we are all saying. He doesnt have any contractual obligation to his fans but considering the massive amount of money he has made, it would be nice for him to finish the series. Sure he could get up and move and say Im never finishing the series, deal with it and no one could say anything but that doesnt necessarily make it right.

I second that, finish what you started.-

...and in the process give us more G.O.T., it goes well with homebrew!

Happy brewing.

Wife noticed first episode of this season on the DVR. Must have had a free HBO weekend or something...

AWESOME!

I hate to say it, but I might even purchase a subscription to HBO just to see this show.

Homercidal said:
Wife noticed first episode of this season on the DVR. Must have had a free HBO weekend or something...

AWESOME!

I hate to say it, but I might even purchase a subscription to HBO just to see this show.

It's worth it.

Yeah, but I already convinced the wife that it wasn't worth it for her to subscribe to "her" channel for "her" show...

You can see my conundrum...

Actually, I AM doing a bunch of work to improve the house. Maybe I could leverage that against the cost of HBO?

Ooops, that is work that should have been finished YEARS ago when I started on it...

She seems to enjoy the show some, maybe I'll just order HBO anyway. For all I know HBO might be the service that "her" show is on...

Actually, I AM doing a bunch of work to improve the house. Maybe I could leverage that against the cost of HBO?

Ooops, that is work that should have been finished YEARS ago when I started on it...

She seems to enjoy the show some, maybe I'll just order HBO anyway. For all I know HBO might be the service that "her" show is on...

Or as I already said, you could just download it.

I wish HBO had a per view online mode. Maybe they do... I haven't paid any attention to them in many years.

I suppose I *could* download it hf I had to. I have been pretty good about not doing that since netflix and some other stuff has been a viable option.

I checked out the HBO website to see if they had any other programs worth having and I caught a glimpse of a spoiler in a picture for GOT... stupid spoilers.

It's not that expensive, I think it's around 10 a month. Just don't go to Starbucks twice and you'll be fine.

Henry22 said:
It's not that expensive, I think it's around 10 a month. Just don't go to Starbucks twice and you'll be fine.

Plus the cost of basic cable or satellite. I won't get either until I can only buy the channels I want, not this package crap. Big ripoff considering I would want only one or two channels.

Plus the cost of basic cable or satellite. I won't get either until I can only buy the channels I want, not this package crap. Big ripoff considering I would want only one or two channels.

Forgot about that.

Cant wait for tonights episode.

Its been out mate and I ve seen it.

It kicks butt. Better than the first one and that ones was pretty damn good.

Hope you enjoy it. I will be watching it on the big screen, yet again.

Happy brewing to ya.

Dang that was crazy. This show is getting good. Loved Theon's story, Tyrion is the man as always and I am really enjoying Stannis and Davos.

Yup, cant wait to see what the next episode holds. At least we saw much more of arya stark.

Enjoy the next episode and happy brewing!

So we tuned in to watch the first episode of the new season on the DVR (Must have got a free HBO weekend recently), and as it's starting up they are showing some commercials of some other shows and my wife says, "We might want to think about signing up for HBO. They got this other show I want to see."

It's called Girls. I have no idea what it's about, but I like it. It might just be the perfect thing to get my wife to want to get HBO and then I can watch GOT!!

In reality, I think she's kind of getting hooked on it as well.

Not sure how I feel about the Stannis/Melisandre thing. It was always hinted at in the book but never made obvious... Just like Renly/Loras... Nothing is ever subtle on this show

Homercidal said:
So we tuned in to watch the first episode of the new season on the DVR (Must have got a free HBO weekend recently), and as it's starting up they are showing some commercials of some other shows and my wife says, "We might want to think about signing up for HBO. They got this other show I want to see."

It's called Girls. I have no idea what it's about, but I like it. It might just be the perfect thing to get my wife to want to get HBO and then I can watch GOT!!

In reality, I think she's kind of getting hooked on it as well.

That's a new show by Judd Apatow, I don't know a whole lot about it but most things he does are pretty funny.

WhineinAlbany said:
Not sure how I feel about the Stannis/Melisandre thing. It was always hinted at in the book but never made obvious... Just like Renly/Loras... Nothing is ever subtle on this show

Its hard to be subtle in a show, especially with all the other plot lines going on. I think it made a ton of sense for that scene to be put in and it really showed what drives Stannis and how he is controlled by Melisandre.

This show, while already attracting the book fans, is for a much larger audience and if they were more subtle a lot of the message would be lost on those who didn't read the book. Think about the Lora's/Renly scene from season 1, if they had hinted at it but not done the whole thing people would be very confused.

Yes, I get it, but as usual, the books are always better. I'm turning into one of those people that complain about the changes in Trueblood (rants are endless on FB).

I'm finding the same thing with the Dune series now. Read the books if you like the movies. So much better

WhineinAlbany said:
Yes, I get it, but as usual, the books are always better.

I'm finding the same thing with the Dune series now. Read the books if you like the movies. So much better

The books are good in this case, but not way better than the show I think. Definitely better because of all the other plot lines but the show is very good and well produced. Also expertly cast. I think most times the book is way better than the movie or show but that's not the case here.

Back