A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having this courtesy of @bigperm is this supposed to look like this? Don't get me wrong it's tasty, but different to the eye.
View attachment 348971

Up until very recently when I learned from this and other unmentionable threads about IPA's that look like chicken soup, I had no idea that this kind of thing existed. I'm still very beer-ignorant and still for the most part want gin-clear beer.

If I had ordered a beer a couple of years ago and it came looking like that I'd probably ask for something different. (The situation never presented itself so it's moot.)

If a beer is that soup-like it's got to have some redeeming hopsplosion features.

Bought a sixer of IPA today. It's got "unfiltered" on the label. It tastes good but it tastes like an APA and has a **** ton of trub in it. To me that's a fail and using label gimmicks to cover up the shortcomings in process. No reason an unfiltered, not very hoppy IPA (APA) should have floaties throughout.

Nonetheless, I'm gonna have another.

Still beer o'clock here

Up until very recently when I learned from this and other unmentionable threads about IPA's that look like chicken soup, I had no idea that this kind of thing existed. I'm still very beer-ignorant and still for the most part want gin-clear beer.

If I had ordered a beer a couple of years ago and it came looking like that I'd probably ask for something different. (The situation never presented itself so it's moot.)

If a beer is that soup-like it's got to have some redeeming hopsplosion features.

Bought a sixer of IPA today. It's got "unfiltered" on the label. It tastes good but it tastes like an APA and has a **** ton of trub in it. To me that's a fail and using label gimmicks to cover up the shortcomings in process. No reason an unfiltered, not very hoppy IPA (APA) should have floaties throughout.

Nonetheless, I'm gonna have another.

Still beer o'clock here

I have enjoyed other "hazy" beers that were good. I recently tried to brew a hazy brew, but it wasn't cloudy and murky. Idk. The roller babe seemed a bit unappealing to the eye, but it was good.

I have enjoyed other "hazy" beers that were good. I recently tried to brew a hazy brew, but it wasn't cloudy and murky. Idk. The roller babe seemed a bit unappealing to the eye, but it was good.

I guess until the day comes that I taste a Heady, a Julius or something else that looks like the contents of Buffalo Bill's bathtub in Silence of the Lambs I should reserve judgement.

Don't get me wrong, I'd drink it and in all likelihood enjoy it. I do like hoppy beers. It's just that I think there have got to be a lot of mediocre soup beers just getting in on this trend. They can't all be stellar ho orgasm inducing elixirs. Cloudy with a chance of meh.

Having coffee. just got off ol' chugger which is a salt spreader here at work.
Had to clear off 5" of SPRING out of the parking lot. ... :mad:

Decoctions are always assumed to be at boiling temps.

BS is a pure numbers tool and does not seem to account for the large amount of lost heat to the actual process of pulling the decoction. I'm guessing it's modeled on an idealized calorimeter but is harder thing to mathematically model in reality.

Offset the lost thermal energy on two fronts.
1. Main mash can be heated directly to maintain the rest temp from which the decoction is pulled. (I use a very low flame on my MT with the reflectix). No fires yet.

2. As Q mentioned, up the volume of the pulled decoction over what BS suggests. That's something that boils down to experience but typically I'm at about suggested volume +25%. Better to have too much than not enough

It's really not too hard to do. I get enjoyment out of doing these silly mashes

Two things I think I think are worth mentioning
1. The effects of specialty malts added for color seem to be magnified so tailor your recipe acordingly
2. Mash pH seems to clock in a bit lower probably as a result of same. (Very small data set so I may be way off base there)

There is a thread in my sig covering some of what I've learned about step mashes. I might be of use. I am far from experienced at the whole thing but have done my best not to disseminate any misinformation therein. Here is the thread if your on mobile.

Thanks Gavin! I'm definitely going to check out that thread later today. Another thing I just thought of, the brewery that I have two of the 750s from, called Matuska, apparently is a guy who is brewing according to the traditional style (for Czech that means decoction, fly sparge) for his ales. The pale ale which was really good, the Apollo Galaxy, was brewed with decoction, and it almost looks like there's no specialty malts by color alone, but it doesn't just taste like pilsner only. From the stories that I heard, his dad was working for one pretty major brewery (I don't remember which one) so he had years and years of experience brewing a Czech pils. That knowledge and skill translated into the owner of this brewery's beers no matter what style. Have you tried it in a pale ale or IPA or anything like that yet?

Picked up some KBS today. Got two bottles, which should be fine. It's really not a beer I have liked much in the past. Giving it another shot this year to see if my opinion changes. If not I doubt I'll bother again.

In other news, . . . A manufacturer I represent locally here in MN is doing a small expose of my home brewery in the next few weeks. I used some of their commercial grade lighting control equipment in my brewery build, and they are showcasing it at a customer event they are hosting at Stone Brewing during a tradeshow coming up called Lightfair. So I had to send them some pictures. Here's a couple which I think came out decent.

Lighting nerds are a unique breed.
Which booth or manufacturer? I'll send some people that are going that way.

Having coffee. just got off ol' chugger which is a salt spreader here at work.
Had to clear off 5" of SPRING out of the parking lot. ... :mad:

Aye. Flurries here. 80+ last week and this morning we are in a freeze advisory. A whole **** ton of crops are going to get wiped out today I think. Peach trees and strawberry shrubs will the at the brunt of it.

Coffee good. Wake bad.
Supposed to dip just below freezing here tonight. I hope the stuff in my garden doesn't get killed. I might try and toss a tarp over it, or part of it, and keep my fingers crossed. On the topic of hazy beer: I generally don't care, but I want to know if I'm pouring from a bottle, so I can keep the trub out. If a commercial beer is "unfiltered", that doesn't mean they can just be slack and bottle a bunch of crap...if they care about their product. For me, I like to do all my beer through secondary and have it as clear as possible, but sometimes it just ain't perfect.

What's wrong with wearing shoes? This isn't Japan :mug:

Seriously, I'm usually wearing shoes from the minute I get in the door until I go to bed. My wife is the exact opposite. Not that she's the "take of your shoes inside please" type (which bothers my to no end, I hate people like that, makes me want to grind dirty boot into their precious carpet, don't care who it is).

Ehh... Kids really changed my mind on that front. Stopped wearing shoes indoors when i had a crawly one meandering around the house. Habit now.

The trick is to always keep something they want on tap, even if it's just sparkling water.

Bingo. Plus - seltzer rocks.

Aye. Flurries here. 80+ last week and this morning we are in a freeze advisory. A whole **** ton of crops are going to get wiped out today I think. Peach trees and strawberry shrubs will the at the brunt of it.

Yeah. 33° this morning, 70 yesterday. WTF.

Feeling the late night hanging for opening day party. Today will be.... interesting.

Lighting nerds are a unique breed.
Which booth or manufacturer? I'll send some people that are going that way.

It will be at a Wattstopper customer appreciation event at Stone Brewery, so not on the show floor or anything. Huge bummer I'm not attending this year.

It will be at a Wattstopper customer appreciation event at Stone Brewery, so not on the show floor or anything. Huge bummer I'm not attending this year.

Ditto...especially for San Diego. My wattstopper guy who is going out there IS a beer guy, so talking him into doing any of that would be pretty easy.

So, to the four winners....I'm formulating a lightning round for maybe a best out of 5 questions for all four of you. We have to come up with a time were you can all be on at the same time and have an equal opportunity to win the prize.
Let me know what time tomorrow would be ideal for all of you to be on
@Helly
@Hunter_la5
@dad23ds
@banesong

Coffee good. Wake bad.
Supposed to dip just below freezing here tonight. I hope the stuff in my garden doesn't get killed. I might try and toss a tarp over it, or part of it, and keep my fingers crossed. On the topic of hazy beer: I generally don't care, but I want to know if I'm pouring from a bottle, so I can keep the trub out. If a commercial beer is "unfiltered", that doesn't mean they can just be slack and bottle a bunch of crap...if they care about their product. For me, I like to do all my beer through secondary and have it as clear as possible, but sometimes it just ain't perfect.

This weather needs to **** or get off the pot. Frankly, I love 60-70F, but the severe up and down is killing me. Need to mow and mulch tonight after work. Dreading the aftermath.

Coffee. Getting hardwood refinished today, which is nice. Another step towards selling the house.

@1977brewer I have NOT forgotten that I owe you beer. Promise.

On another note, at which point would you all start escalating contact with someone who has been unresponsive to messages since 3/18 and holds an item that will run you upwards of $1200 to replace if you don't get it back? I don't want to slander the dude, but frankly, emailing him on the 18th and waiting 3 days for a response, rinse and repeat has now turned into me emailing him nearly daily. I tried the # I had for him and it's not in service. I have his address so I am dropping a letter in the mail today to ask him to reply to my email. Old schooling it.

So, to the four winners....I'm formulating a lightning round for maybe a best out of 5 questions for all four of you. We have to come up with a time were you can all be on at the same time and have an equal opportunity to win the prize.
@Helly
@Hunter_la5
@dad23ds
@banesong

Work is quiet this week so I'd say anytime between 8:30-12 noon. (Eastern aka the real time.)

@Helly
@Hunter_la5
@dad23ds
@banesong

3:30am CST

Happy Birthday @Gavin

Damn, has that time of year come 'round again? Merry birthmas Gavin!

@m00ps

This weather needs to **** or get off the pot. Frankly, I love 60-70F, but the severe up and down is killing me. Need to mow and mulch tonight after work. Dreading the aftermath.

Coffee. Getting hardwood refinished today, which is nice. Another step towards selling the house.

@1977brewer I have NOT forgotten that I owe you beer. Promise.

On another note, at which point would you all start escalating contact with someone who has been unresponsive to messages since 3/18 and holds an item that will run you upwards of $1200 to replace if you don't get it back? I don't want to slander the dude, but frankly, emailing him on the 18th and waiting 3 days for a response, rinse and repeat has now turned into me emailing him nearly daily. I tried the # I had for him and it's not in service. I have his address so I am dropping a letter in the mail today to ask him to reply to my email. Old schooling it.

That certainly sucks...its a hard line to walk when it comes to maleficence (damn I love that word). For that sort of value I would escalate it faster then I normally would. It would make a difference if the person remained in contact, but if they just stopped contact all of the sudden for unexplained reasons, it comes off as shady, no matter what the circumstance.

Duffman did things get crazy over by you last night? You must not have been among those arrested for burning couches?

Oddly enough, no riots. I'm not far from Frankford and Cottman avenue, lovingly referred to as the five points. Its a congregation area when a sports milestone happens...and for the most part where riots and bad behavior starts. I heard nothing, so I'm guessing it was closer to the campus, which is still only half an hour away or so.

Mornin'.

quando-voc%C3%AA-tem-que-terminar.gif

I heard something on the radio. Just reading about it. Only 6 arrests, no serious injuries. So hopefully not too crazy. Awesome game.

I heard something on the radio. Just reading about it. Only 6 arrests, no serious injuries. So hopefully not too crazy. Awesome game.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ROKTHREroM[/ame]

Its all well and good until the bro's start coming out

Aye. Flurries here. 80+ last week and this morning we are in a freeze advisory.

It's 20° here and we've got a couple inches of snow. All my gardens herbs and flowers sprouted a week or two ago and are all dead now. Quite upset about that.

Coffee. Morning.

It's 20° here and we've got a couple inches of snow. All my gardens herbs and flowers sprouted a week or two ago and are all dead now. Quite upset about that.

Coffee. Morning.

Sucks man.
This is one instance where yesterdays lazy is today's crazy...I was going to plant two weeks ago, thinking winter was done. Glad I got side tracked now.

Sucks man.
This is one instance where yesterdays lazy is today's crazy...I was going to plant two weeks ago, thinking winter was done. Glad I got side tracked now.

Never plant in March.

Late April/early May is best around here.

20 degrees here this morning. No snow though. Might get some later in the week, sounds like. We got hit Saturday pretty good but it's gone again.

Back