A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BuckNuts and Konky Dong definitely go together.

I use this name on other boards as well and people always think it's somehow related to a male deer's testicles but I hate the woods in fact the outdoors in general. BUCKNUTS is a magazine dedicated to all things related to my beloved Ohio State Buckeyes.

While I agree, and don't mind a hazy beer at all, this is just too much for me: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7499106#post7499106 Some of these "new" beers seem to take it too far. Ugh, just no.

That beer looks pretty gross. I drink NE-style beers out of the can because they look a bit unappetizing. Plus, Heady told me to.

A real milkshake beer. Actually tastes a little like a milkshake.

https://untappd.com/b/tired-hands-brewing-company-passionfruit-milkshake-ipa/1414306

Having a few homebrews and trying to decide if it will be a sour night or an IPA night. Or both. I bet I pass out before it's both though.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459823231.805524.jpg

Had one of these. I like Perrin but I don't recommend this one.

Watching bball upstairs because my downstairs tv has apparently taken a dump. Anyone have an LCD tv where no HDMI ports will work but the non-HD ports work fine? This is a Vizio, 7 or 8 years old. Not sure I can even buy the parts to fix, I think it's either going to be relegated to the basement or we're gonna buy a replacement.

Im about to add coffee to my RIS that's too sweet that I've been talking about for 3 or 4 months. Been too lazy to do it. Gots some cold brewing now. Not really sure how much I'll add. Probably screw it up.

Anyone here use cocoa powder in keg (or at bottling i spose) before? Debating on throwing some in there with the coffee. Dont really feel like buying nibs cause lazy.

Im about to add coffee to my RIS that's too sweet that I've been talking about for 3 or 4 months. Been too lazy to do it. Gots some cold brewing now. Not really sure how much I'll add. Probably screw it up.

Depends on how much you like coffee. I really like coffee so I add about a pound to a 5gal batch. Cold brew you say? I cold brew, strain, add priming sugar and heat enough to dissolve for bottling. For kegging I normally bag the coarse ground beans and keg dangle until I reach the desired level of coffee. Ymmv friendly friend. I've never been able to screw up a RIS or brown with coffee.

I haven't done it, but I suspect you'll have a hard time getting it to dissolve.

Yeah I figure I'd add it to the coffee before I chuck it in. Or maybe I'll get crazy and throw some bourbon in there too. And peanut butter. And chilis! and blackjack and hookers!

Picked up some KBS today. Got two bottles, which should be fine. It's really not a beer I have liked much in the past. Giving it another shot this year to see if my opinion changes. If not I doubt I'll bother again.

In other news, . . . A manufacturer I represent locally here in MN is doing a small expose of my home brewery in the next few weeks. I used some of their commercial grade lighting control equipment in my brewery build, and they are showcasing it at a customer event they are hosting at Stone Brewing during a tradeshow coming up called Lightfair. So I had to send them some pictures. Here's a couple which I think came out decent.

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg

DSC_0223.jpg

Picked up some KBS today. Got two bottles, which should be fine. It's really not a beer I have liked much in the past. Giving it another shot this year to see if my opinion changes. If not I doubt I'll bother again.

In other news, . . . A manufacturer I represent locally here in MN is doing a small expose of my home brewery in the next few weeks. I used some of their commercial grade lighting control equipment in my brewery build, and they are showcasing it at a customer event they are hosting at Stone Brewing during a tradeshow coming up called Lightfair. So I had to send them some pictures. Here's a couple which I think came out decent.

That's awesome man. We've got people going to Lightfair, but being manufacturers ourselves, I doubt anyone I know will see it.

Mr. Gavin the science man, just so I don't have to go searching through everything (inlcuding beersmith and all your recipe profiles), does BS tell you what temp to get each decoction to and what amount of the mash to boil up for each temp change? After my trip, I really want to try a decoction on my next pils.

Decoctions are always assumed to be at boiling temps.

BS is a pure numbers tool and does not seem to account for the large amount of lost heat to the actual process of pulling the decoction. I'm guessing it's modeled on an idealized calorimeter but is harder thing to mathematically model in reality.

Offset the lost thermal energy on two fronts.
1. Main mash can be heated directly to maintain the rest temp from which the decoction is pulled. (I use a very low flame on my MT with the reflectix). No fires yet.

2. As Q mentioned, up the volume of the pulled decoction over what BS suggests. That's something that boils down to experience but typically I'm at about suggested volume +25%. Better to have too much than not enough

It's really not too hard to do. I get enjoyment out of doing these silly mashes

Two things I think I think are worth mentioning
1. The effects of specialty malts added for color seem to be magnified so tailor your recipe acordingly
2. Mash pH seems to clock in a bit lower probably as a result of same. (Very small data set so I may be way off base there)

There is a thread in my sig covering some of what I've learned about step mashes. I might be of use. I am far from experienced at the whole thing but have done my best not to disseminate any misinformation therein. Here is the thread if your on mobile.

Congratulations man!

I have added measured amounts using a small 1cc dropper to a known amount of coffee (say 4 oz) and then scaling up.

Anyone here use cocoa powder in keg (or at bottling i spose) before? Debating on throwing some in there with the coffee. Dont really feel like buying nibs cause lazy.

It won't dissolve. It will probably float on top like an oily sheen.

Back