A few bottles from the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeyn9ne

Reaction score
So im about to keg a nice looking ipa and wanted to have a few bottles around as well. I know about the carb tablets but have never used them. Any other advice on how to prime just a few bottles?

Once the beer is kegged and carbed up...sanitize and freeze a few bottles and caps. Depressurize your keg, set PSI to only enough to push beer slow. Fill the bottle from the tap, keeping it tilted as to limit oxygenation. Overfill slightly so no airspace. Cap immediately.

I've done many this way...no need to fuss with carb tabs that are very erratic at best!

You can routinely keep a few bottles and caps in the freezer for those that want to head home with one or two after a visit.

A few other threads on this if you search...others also put a small tube on the tap soas to fill from the bottom...I think this is a PITA because you need to overfill and now your trying to fill the final ounce or so from tube and not the tap itself.

Don't forget to reset your PSI to normal serving levels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once the beer is kegged and carbed up...sanitize and freeze a few bottles and caps. Depressurize your keg, set PSI to only enough to push beer slow. Fill the bottle from the tap, keeping it tilted as to limit oxygenation. Overfill slightly so no airspace. Cap immediately.

I've done many this way...no need to fuss with carb tabs that are very erratic at best!

You can routinely keep a few bottles and caps in the freezer for those that want to head home with one or two after a visit.

A few other threads on this if you search...others also put a small tube on the tap soas to fill from the bottom...I think this is a PITA because you need to overfill and now your trying to fill the final ounce or so from tube and not the tap itself.

thanks for this. i had read it, but forgotten it and need it to empty a keg tonight..

Thanks woodstone! I like the idea and will try that. No need to let them sit either eh? I can crack one soon as its chilled again? Ill expirement w it and see how it turns out! Thanks again!

I use the bowie bottle adapter and pull a few bottles off my keg, esp my sours, this allows me to age them longer. I opened a bottle the other day that was around a year old and it had a nice volume of co2, so the adapter works(of course you need 525 perlicks)

woodstone said:

Just did this to empty a keg yesterday. Worked like a dream. Thanks!!!

Back