A curious question regarding my heating element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marconlin

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am very curious too find out the limitations of a heating element I got for $2. Searching around hasn't satisfied me.

So the element is marked 208V and 2000W. This should be safe to operate in a RIMS tube? I intend to build 110V temp controller and would really like to know if this was a $ saver.

Thanks!

So you could use it to stabilize mash temps, or to assist in heating. 600w is pretty low, in my experience it takes about 1400-1800w to boil a 6-7Gal volume. The diameter of the pot has a big difference in how much heat needs to be applied.

So you could use it to stabilize mash temps, or to assist in heating. 600w is pretty low, in my experience it takes about 1400-1800w to boil a 6-7Gal volume. The diameter of the pot has a big difference in how much heat needs to be applied.

I think he is using it in a RIMS tube

My RIMS tube is only running at 500W currently and it holds temps just fine. Don't expect to step mash with it however, it is super slow to raise temps.

My RIMS tube is only running at 500W currently and it holds temps just fine. Don't expect to step mash with it however, it is super slow to raise temps.

this is why I jumped up to 1000w and then an even longer 36" 1800w ULWD element... now I get a 2 degree rise every minute which will work for step mashing.

I have a 1000w shipping anytime now, probably going to mount one element at each end of the tube to get 1500 total. I'm fairly certain step mashing will be a reasonable option at that point

I have a 1000w shipping anytime now, probably going to mount one element at each end of the tube to get 1500 total. I'm fairly certain step mashing will be a reasonable option at that point
where will you put your temp sensor? Ideally you want it located at the exit port of the rims...

It will be at the exit port, wort out and the element at 90 degrees to each other, temp probe between heater and exit

Latest posts

Back