A couple of questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Massell7

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and to home brewing. I have brewed an IPA batch that turned out somewhat successful (told it was a little too bitter and over carbonated) and have just brewed my second batch of the same stuff to compare. I had a few questions pertaining to my second batch.

1. Gravity of the beer? What is this all a about? What's a good range for it to be in?
2. Can I open my primary fermenter to take a reading for the gravity and hydrometer while the batch is fermenting?
3. Aerating my beer from brew pot to fermenter... Was siphoning fine enough to aerate it?
4. When can I move from primary to secondary? (just brewed yesterday)

All help is greatly appreciated!

-Chris

There is no one,ideal range for OG/FG. That depends on the particular recipe involved.
You can take a hydrometer sample whil it's fermenting. But there's no point in doing do during initial,vigorous fermentation. I usually wait til the 2 week point to take a 1st FG reading. It's usually pretty close by then.
Theres no need for secondary unless you're racking onto fruit or something,or bulk aging. Just leave it in primary till it settles out clear or slightly misty.

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and to home brewing. I have brewed an IPA batch that turned out somewhat successful (told it was a little too bitter and over carbonated) and have just brewed my second batch of the same stuff to compare. I had a few questions pertaining to my second batch.

1. Gravity of the beer? What is this all a about? What's a good range for it to be in? Depends on the style, most IPA's should have an Original Gravity between 1.050 and 1.060. Your hydrometer is your friend.
2. Can I open my primary fermenter to take a reading for the gravity and hydrometer while the batch is fermenting? Yes, but no sense in taking a readying before 14 days in the primary. Most brewers give it 3 weeks, then take 2 readings 2 days apart and if they are the same, bottle.
3. Aerating my beer from brew pot to fermenter... Was siphoning fine enough to aerate it? Siphoning will not aerate, in fact that is why you siphon from fermenter to bottling bucket so you do not aerate before bottling. To aerate before yeast pitching you can pour the cooled wort from brew pot to bucket, through a strainer which will adequately aerate and is very easy to do.
4. When can I move from primary to secondary? (just brewed yesterday). Unless you are dry hopping a secondary is not necessary. I would not move to secondary until it's been in primary 2 weeks.

All help is greatly appreciated!

-Chris

See above in RED.

1. It varies based on the style. Your original gravity reading measures the amount of potential alcohol of your beer based on the density difference between water (gravity of 1.000) and the wort. Since alcohol is less dense than water, your gravity will drop as the beer continues to ferment, and after it's done, you can use the gravity readings to get an idea of the alcoholic strength of your beer.

2. Yes. Just make sure your sanitation is all good.

3. Probably not. Next time, shake the hell out of the fermenter after it's siphoned or take a sanitized stainless steel spoon and stir vigorously.

4. Theoretically, you would move to a secondary after you get a stable hydrometer reading for 3 days in a row. However, many people don't bother with the secondary completely for normal batches. If you were adding extra things like fruit, vanilla, hops, wood, etc., you would put them in the secondary. I typically leave my beer in my primary fermenter for at least 3 weeks (and up to 3 months for a big beer) depending on the gravity and what I'm wanting to do with it.

It's not a good idea to use a stainless steal spoon in a plastic fermenter that many are using. Scratching them on the inside can be a bad thing. I use plastic spoons/paddles in my equipment.
And a few batches ago I learned that a fine mesh strainer will aerate the chilled wort well,besides straining out hops & grainy bits. I get 3-5 inches of foam that way,then stir 5 minutes straight to mix well & aerate more.

Back