A beginner...again.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezknight

Reaction score
My last batch of homebrew was bottled right after my son was born. He is now 6 and all of my equipment has sat idle for far too long. I'm putting together an order so I can brew up one of my old standbys, but I paused for a moment.

6 years is a long time for all sorts of new techniques, equipment, etc. So, where do I start? Has anything drastically changed I need to be aware of? Or can I get out my banjo burner, start my mash and brew as I have been for years prior to the kids?

You can just go at it, probably.

Some optional things to look into that may or may not have been on your radar screen 6 years ago:

• Usually no need for secondary (unless adding fruit, extended aging, etc)
  • BIAB
  • no-chill
  • Shorter Mash times can be OK
  • trub in the fermenter isn't a problem
  • harvesting yeast
  • vitality starters
  • better and more variety of PET fermenters vs glass carboys
  • Homemade PBW recipes

Were you using Star San as your sanitizer?

Have you seem the Brulosopher's site with his Xbeeriments? http://brulosophy.com

Have you seem the Brulosopher's site with his Xbeeriments?

I was using Star San, and I have half a bottle which is probably no good anymore.

I will have to check out the site recommendation.

TBH, I didn't think much would have changed (mankind has been making beer essentially the same way for centuries), but there was that moment when I realized, "Holy crap! It has been a long time!"

There are about 1000 varieties of hops, so IPAs are now about creating complicated hop schedules. You probably know that from drinking beer. There are pressurized fermenters now. Place a pressure relief valve on a gutted sanke keg. It helps to mimic the static pressure of commercial conicals, and you can ferment at warm temps. Other than that it is still just grain, hops and yeast.

I was using Star San, and I have half a bottle which is probably no good anymore.

I don't think it goes bad... As long as it was kept closed and not subjected to extreme heat or cold, I'd imagine that it lasts for years... I'm still using the 32oz bottle that I got years and years ago, anyway.

Have at it mate - Just like riding a bike.....

If you have the cash SSbrewtech Stainless fermenters are the bomb.

We all just use an app from the iTunes store now. Just install it on your phone and tell it what you want. It will arrive in your drive way 2 days later via a big brown truck...cheers

You can just go at it, probably.

Some optional things to look into that may or may not have been on your radar screen 6 years ago:

• Usually no need for secondary (unless adding fruit, extended aging, etc)
  • BIAB
  • no-chill
  • Shorter Mash times can be OK
  • trub in the fermenter isn't a problem
  • harvesting yeast
  • vitality starters
  • better and more variety of PET fermenters vs glass carboys
  • Homemade PBW recipes

Have you seem the Brulosopher's site with his Xbeeriments? http://brulosophy.com

I am new to the forum and have been searching for the topic of secondary fermentation. I notice you mentioned it here. Can you point me in the direction of a thread or discuss pros and cons? My fifth batch overall (a hoppy wheat) is currently in the primary (brewed yesterday). I have transferred the previous batches (that survived) to a glass carboy for secondary. I'm not sure if it made a difference or not. Also, thoughts on plastic bucket vs glass carboy as a primary fermenter? I appreciate any direction, advice, discussion, etc.

I am new to the forum and have been searching for the topic of secondary fermentation. I notice you mentioned it here. Can you point me in the direction of a thread or discuss pros and cons? My fifth batch overall (a hoppy wheat) is currently in the primary (brewed yesterday). I have transferred the previous batches (that survived) to a glass carboy for secondary. I'm not sure if it made a difference or not. Also, thoughts on plastic bucket vs glass carboy as a primary fermenter? I appreciate any direction, advice, discussion, etc.

I don't ever secondary unless I have fruit or other fermentables going in after primary fermentation is complete. No need for it.

That's one of those wide mouth plastics? What are the advantages?

It's easier to clean. You can fit your hand down in it. Plus wide mouth for adding fruit and such. With a 7 gallon capacity you can ferment 5 gallon batches without a blowout tube.

It's easier to clean. You can fit your hand down in it. Plus wide mouth for adding fruit and such. With a 7 gallon capacity you can ferment 5 gallon batches without a blowout tube.

I use a 6.5 gallon bucket with an airlock. Do I need to consider the fermonster? Is there anything wrong with the regular glass carboy (6.5 gal) for primary?

I use a 6.5 gallon bucket with an airlock. Do I need to consider the fermonster? Is there anything wrong with the regular glass carboy (6.5 gal) for primary?

If you have it use it, but use it with caution. I brew a lot which means I clean a lot and plastic just works better for me. If you search the forums you see lots and lots of horror stories of glass carboys breaking. I think the fermonster is definitely worth a look for only $29. Especially if you use it for primary.

If you have it use it, but use it with caution. I brew a lot which means I clean a lot and plastic just works better for me. If you search the forums you see lots and lots of horror stories of glass carboys breaking. I think the fermonster is definitely worth a look for only $29. Especially if you use it for primary.

Last question of the night...I promise. Is it better to see the fermentation process? i.e. clear fermonster vs white opaque bucket? My biggest struggle to date has been gravity readings so I'm not exactly figuring when it is steady.

Last question of the night...I promise. Is it better to see the fermentation process? i.e. clear fermonster vs white opaque bucket? My biggest struggle to date has been gravity readings so I'm not exactly figuring when it is steady.

I prefer to be able to see it. If I cant, I am so tempted to open the bucket. I used to use a bucket and i hated it for that reason. With the fermonster I don't have to open a thing. I just keep a blanket wrapped around it and look when I want to. I own two fermonsters by the way.

I don't think it goes bad... As long as it was kept closed and not subjected to extreme heat or cold, I'd imagine that it lasts for years... I'm still using the 32oz bottle that I got years and years ago, anyway.

It does have a shelf life, what that is? I couldnt tell you. But there is a reason I dont use expired chemicals in my lab... they change.

I've got a Fermonster also, not bad for the price. I prefer my Spiedel because it has handles and has a spigot. With the Fermonster I have to get out the autosiphon, and that is my least favorite piece of equipment to clean. I prefer both over buckets or glass.

I can't point to a single thread, but if you look around, you'll see that there's a general consensus that 2ndary for homebrew isn't necessary unless you're adding fruit, oak, etc, or doing extended aging. It doesn't hurt per se but it does expose you to unnecessary paths for oxidation and chances of infection. Getting off the yeast cake to avoid autolysis just isn't applicable at homebrew scale... I don't even 2ndary for dry hop anymore. You can go ahead and do it, it's just not necessary unless you have a specific reason for it. No need to do it as a matter of course.

As for for fermenter type, I have 1 glass carboy, 2 PET better bottles, and 4 or 5 HDPE buckets. I tend to use the buckets most often and the glass carboy least. Buckets for ease of cleaning, and opaqueness to protect hops, good for short term storage. I mostly use my better bottles for Apfelwein (no hops), short aging (> 6 months or so). PET has lower oxygen permeability than HDPE but not as good as glass. I Only use the glass for really long aging for its low oxygen permeability (meads, barleywines, etc).

There's a picture thread of all the wounds from broken carboys, so I'm very paranoid about the glass. Plastic is good enough for most cases.... Right tool for right job and all that.

As long as the MIXED Ph is below 3 its still good.

Yup, that too. :D

I was talking about the unmixed concentrate. I know my 32 oz. container is only about 1/2 empty and I got it several years ago for Xmas after I 1st started homebrewing.... As mentioned by @skraeling, I'm sure there's a shelf life for the unmixed stuff of some sort, but I imagine it's pretty long if stored reasonably.

Someone could probably e-mail 5-Star for their recommendation.

Back