77 degrees F seems high.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrystallineEntity

Reaction score
My first RIS is fermenting. OG started @ 1.103. Pitched 2 packs re-hydrated S-05. Oxygenated with stone for one min.

Chris W and Jamil Z's yeast book says for high gravity beers, 12- 18 hrs after start of fermentation, add 2nd dose of oxygen.

I've done that.

It also says, "In 48 hours, after yeast growth is complete, raise temp to 77 degrees for ales. The rise in temp will keep yeast working at their maximum."

I've got the temp set at 68. I'm weary of raising it that high. I'm 48 hours in. Anybody think raising it that high is a good idea???

Thanks, Aaron

I raise the temperature when the krausen begins to drop. For ales this is usually from 68 to 72 over two days. For lagers from 48 to 60 over 6 days. I then hold for a couple of days or until I can keg.

Lots of ways to skin this cat though.

With 2 packs of rehydrated s05, 1.103 should be too tough. Don't overthink it.

It probably is good advice, from my understanding, most off flavours are created early in the fermentation, raising the temps later should only help clean it up.

Back