60L Speidel Ferementer Trub Level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djonesax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife bought me a 60L Speidel fermenter in December. I have brewed two 10 gallon batches with it and love the convenience and the "concept" of being able to rack using the spigot. My issue is that the trub from primary fermentation ends up being right at the spigot level and sucks in a bunch of sediment when racking after cold crashing. I brewed this friday and wanted to pitch on top of the previous cake but was afraid the rub would end up over the spigot. So instead, I just transferred some trub and yeast into a sterilized jar and repitched it. Those of you using your speidels for primary, are you just using a racking cane?

Thanks,

David

I have my first batch in my Speidel right now, and was wondering about getting trub through the spigot as I've gotten some when taking sample readings.

Looks like the racking crane isn't getting put out to pasture quite yet...

You can insert wedges under the spigot at the beginning of fermentation and most of the trub will settle towards the back of the vessel.

You can insert wedges under the spigot at the beginning of fermentation and most of the trub will settle towards the back of the vessel.

I thought about trying that actually. I also thought about modifying the inside of the spigot with elbow or something.

Back