5 to 6 days before shipping from AHS?!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the thing that I have noticed, being that this is the first time I placed an order with AHS. It may have taken 4 or 5 days for them to ship out my order, but it will still gets to my house in the same amount of total time (from order placement to delivery) that it takes to get an order from MW. And the prices are almost always better at AHS. IMHO.

I have seen the light.

Like storm1477, there's a lot to think about here.

I have ordered from many online retailers, as my local shop does not carry all I need. After many orders from all retailers, the average order-to-my-door is similar. However, Austin Homebrew Supply is almost always the fastest by a day.

In my experience the slowest, by far, is Morebeer. I have had orders take 8 days to ship. Does that mean I will not order from them anymore? No, I most certainly will. However, if I need the supplies to ship ASAP, I will pay more for shipping.

I am happy to hear Brewmaster's Warehouse is currently shipping the next day of the order. For now! If they get busy and get slammed with orders, that could change. So what? They can't hire and train shipping staff for emergencies and then lay them off.

As was said before: Plan ahead. I have grain for 3 batches at all times. When I brew one, I order more supplies. If you don't like AHB, don't order... that means my orders will ship faster! JK...

I love AHS and customer service is great, but I have to disagree with those folks saying that we should just go somewhere else if we dont like the delay in order handling, since it hasnt really shipped yet. Yes I know I could pay for expedited shipping. I guess what bugs me is that I had 3 fast orders that shipped the same day... there I'm hooked. Now every order after that took at least 3 days to ship. I just want it all and there ain't anything wrong with that. I want consistent good customer service. Everytime someone types Austin Homebrew Supply, users and owner try to hush the thread down. I've only been here a few months and have already heard about increasing Store head count 3 times. I have deep respect for Forrest always being here when we have questions, but I still believe he's on here cuz he wants to know what the customer wants. So here it is we want cheap prices, fast and cheap shipping, good customer service, quality selection and ingredients. Nothing wrong in that.

I am not trying to hush the thread down. Just telling my side of the story. If you pay regular shipping (virtually the same price for a regular order going to San Antonio) we will ship it out the same day. If you pick $6.99 (on average that is only 40% of the actual shipping charge) we ship them in the order we receive them. Usually 2-3 days depending on volume.

I realize that people want the expedited shipping for $6.99 but it is clearly stated how it works. If I hired enough people so that every order went out the same day, I couldn't afford the $6.99 shipping. So, if I drop the $6.99 and just charge regular shipping, then you will go elsewhere even though it all goes out the same day.

Where else can you get 200 pounds of 2-row malt shipped for $6.99? The flat rate shipping is a great deal but it can take a little longer once in awhile.

Forrest

I would just like to chime in here, and say that ANY brwing supply place that has such a huge following...well they must be doing something right. Forrest is always on here giving deals, discounts, and he is always ready to field a question or complaint, no matter what.

You just GOTTA love a group that will do a backflip, double half gainer straight into a deepthroat, to back up thier supplier, just doesnt happen that often. Proving once again, great service to his customers.

I've ordered several times from AHS. I even pay state taxes to do so (as I live in Texas as well) and I will continue to buy from AHS. If I want something quick I'll pay a little extra and get the order in before noon.

Recently I placed an order (much to my SWMBO's dismay) and had a bottling wand missing from the order. Obviously if I was counting on this it would have been disappointing but I have 2 wands already (albeit they are gravity vs. spring-loaded) and I guarentee you that shipping mistakes CAN happen no matter who you buy from.
I was SO convinced I was just missing the wand in the box full of pelspan that I spent 30 minutes searching and re-searching for it. Anyway, my point isn't so much about the snafu as it is about the fact that I was well-taken care of (each and every time I have ordered) and that is the ONLY discrepancy I've experienced. Frankly, I told them (via email) to just credit it back to me and I would include it with my next order, to save them additional shipping costs.

After all, I read somewhere about the symbiotic relationship between a HBS and HB and I feel it is so very true. Certainly there will ALWAYS be places to buy HB stuff from but with what variety, prices, etc.?

OUR hobby often involves making orders that weigh a LOT or is considerably LARGE. Having a flat-rate shipping option is SO VERY "customer service" for large orders! In this time of internet ordering I am very happy to see it. :) YMMV?

You just GOTTA love a group that will do a backflip, double half gainer straight into a deepthroat, to back up thier supplier, just doesnt happen that often. Proving once again, great service to his customers.

Well, I was right there with you until I got to the deepthroat part.....
I will still be there to back up Forrest and Ed though. They do a great service for this group.

Forrest , no disrespect. I would have done the same thing if I were you , I wouldn't want any negative publicity and you do right by trying to take care of each person. I'm just saying that you are doing everything right, but no one person or business is perfect. Some business' hire focus groups to tell them where they can do better and they get it all wrong, here in 5 pages you've got all these compliments and only 1 single complaint that I have heard of, however some of these folks sound like they wouldnt care for the long delay in getting it out, and will go elsewhere. I think we all agree that we want to keep the flat rate shipping, we're just telling you that order handling needs some work. You will always get my business , because you have a variety of product at the right price, good customer service , an your in Texas. We love Texas. Long delays in shipment will just turn some people away, even if they do have options.

I am not trying to hush the thread down. Just telling my side of the story. If you pay regular shipping (virtually the same price for a regular order going to San Antonio) we will ship it out the same day. If you pick $6.99 (on average that is only 40% of the actual shipping charge) we ship them in the order we receive them. Usually 2-3 days depending on volume.

I realize that people want the expedited shipping for $6.99 but it is clearly stated how it works. If I hired enough people so that every order went out the same day, I couldn't afford the $6.99 shipping. So, if I drop the $6.99 and just charge regular shipping, then you will go elsewhere even though it all goes out the same day.

Where else can you get 200 pounds of 2-row malt shipped for $6.99? The flat rate shipping is a great deal but it can take a little longer once in awhile.

Forrest

Forrest, as a member of both the brewing industry and also manning the front line in my company's Boston retail operations I can side with you 150%. I posted on a thread yesterday that I was waiting for my shipment to come but it was more teasing than anything else. I have been on this site long enough to know that your personal customer service has shown again and again and far outshines any little burp in the expedition of orders. I paid 6.99 since it was a ridiculous deal and couldn't pass it up even if I am BEYOND antsy to brew

To summarize: I chose AHS because of this site. Forrest, you rock. I paid the flat rate because it was a great deal but I also was not surprised when it took longer to process...:tank:

This thread grows more interesting.

I would have to say that if you are in the service industry, and someone express some concern or complaint, then at that point you would go outside of whatever your policy is in an effort to keep that customer happy. There were two possible outcomes:

1. The customer contacts the business expressing concern, and the business in turn apologizes and expedites that order to satisfy the customer and try and retain future business, as well as avoid any negative publicity.
2. The customer contacts the business expressing concern, and the business in turn lets the customer know if they are not happy with the speed of service, to pay more money.

Which experience would you prefer?

In the time it took the owner to read this thread and then respond to it multiple times justifying the delays, which are apparently echoed by others here, I imagine several orders could have been packed and shipped.

I guess its all a mater of perception and what you are willing to do service your patrons. As a business owner myself, at the first sign of concern or complaint, I do anything within my power to solve that issue, right then and there, even if it costs me additional money or heartache.

Poor customer service can ruin the overall experience of your customers, decrease satisfaction and ultimately tarnish your companies brand image. On average dissatisfied customers relate their experience to twelve other people. It costs an average of 5 to 6 times more to attract a new customer, than to retain an existing customer and only one out of 25 dissatisfied customers will express their dissatisfaction to you. The other 24 will simply not come back.

Conversely, A happy customer will on average relate their experience to only 4 other people. A two percent increase in customer retention has the same effect on profits as a 10% cut in costs. The customer profitability rate tends to increase over the life of a retained customer.

The real point of all of this is the dissatisfied customer is an opportunity, not a problem. They are the only one of the 25 people who were unhappy, who is giving the business a chance to make it right.

When a business goes that extra mile to satisfy the unhappy customer, that unhappy customer is much more likely to appreciate the business more in the long run, then if their experience had been "good" to begin with.

With all of that said, how many people do you think have read this thread and drawn the same conclusions I have? I think that really drives home how important it is to not let any customer, regardless of how unreasonable, go unsatisfied.

elm, at this point, you're just trolling. Don't shop at Austin Homebrew if you are dissatisfied. Bitching about getting THE EXACT SERVICE FOR WHICH YOU PAID does not equate to special treatment or attention.

Thanks to the people that understand. No one has ever said that the $6.99 flat rate shipping means that your order will always ship in 5-6 days. This is not the normal turn around.

We are currently a victim of our own success. This years orders so far are more than double the number and it doesn't look like it will slow down.

Expedite orders, meaning you pay for your shipping charges (like most stores) means we will ship your order out the same day. If you select the flat rate shipping it usually goes out in 2-3 days. The exception is when we have one of our sales or we have a large increase in orders. Our last sale bought in 636 orders in one day (that is 3 weeks worth of orders).

Those of you that know me and my company know that I am working hard to resolve this problem. The department manager has been working 70 hours a week since October when all of this additional growth started. This week, I have been rearranging the store to accomodate for the growth. I just hired a new person today fresh out of the Air Force for 6 years that is eager and ready to work hard. I am still taking applications as well.

We have certainly outgrown our 6,000 square feet and I have already begun to look for a new store that is a least 12,000 square feet so we can accomodate the success we are having.

I am truly sorry if this is your first experience with the company and you are experiencing this delay. This truly is not a lack of costomer service. We are not moving in slow motion on our tippy toes. I am working on doubling our shipping department.

I hope this helps to explain the delay and we will be back to our normal schedule by Monday (in 3 days).

We will be having a 50 day sale starting in February. Lots of great deals, give aways, and other surprises. The sale will be One State per Day for 50 days. One of the give aways will be a $50 gift certificate each day, given randomly to one of the people from the state featured, who placed an order.

I will keep you posted.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply
(AHS, AHB, AHBS, etc)

It means alot that you come here and let us know the story. This is completely understandable under the circumstances. I would be willing to help you in anyway if I can, I am in the Dallas area.

I guess getting lots of orders is better than not getting enough huh? haha Victim of your own success sir. haha

elm, at this point, you're just trolling. Don't shop at Austin Homebrew if you are dissatisfied. Bitching about getting THE EXACT SERVICE FOR WHICH YOU PAID does not equate to special treatment or attention.

The information quoted on the site states "orders placed with us will be shipped out within 2-3 business days." I waited 4 days prior to contacting the business.

I think its fair to say I am not getting the service for which I paid.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back