5 gallon sanke??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dusty1025

Reaction score
I'm getting into kegging and i have access to some of the tall 5 gallon (corny size) sanke kegs. I'm not sure if i want to go this route simply because i never see anyone using them.

Why is this?
Are they difficult to use?
How do you clean or sanitize them?
I like the idea of being able to take a keg anywhere that has a tap system.

Thanks,
Dusty

Are you sure its a 5 gallon?? Or is it a 1/6 bbl??

1/6 bbls are the commercial standard of what we consider a corny, and yes they are used quite often with smaller commercialized craft breweries, yet not quite as often......and they can be cleaned and sanitized without the stem coming out, however you need equipment to do so. The brewery I worked at for a while had a homemade rig to clean them.

or you can dismantle it to clean it......SEE HERE, however that becomes a daunting task. And HERE is a link to make your own. Its tough though b/c you need a pump and use lots of pressurized air to keep it all moving. Your best bet is to not use them.

Hope this helps!

I'm getting into kegging and i have access to some of the tall 5 gallon (corny size) sanke kegs. I'm not sure if i want to go this route simply because i never see anyone using them.

Why is this?
Are they difficult to use?
How do you clean or sanitize them?
I like the idea of being able to take a keg anywhere that has a tap system.

Thanks,
Dusty

1) More people use corny kegs because in most areas they're much cheaper and easier to find.

2) No, once you get the hang of getting the spear in and out they are very easy to use. You might consider replacing the spiral retaining rings with 2" snap rings to make it easier.

3) Clean and sanitize them just like you would a carboy. Soak in hot oxyclean solution for a while, rinse thoroughly multiple times with clean water, and then use your favorite sanitizer.

I use 1/4 bbl and 1/2 bbl sankeys for fermenting, but also like the fact that I can use a sanke coupler and use them to serve as well. The 1/6 bbl holds 5.16 gal which is perfect for serving a 5 gal batch, while the 1/4 bbl (7.75 gal) is perfect for fermenting a 5 gal batch, and the 1/2 bbl (15.5 gal) is a great size for fermenting 10-12 gal batches.

If I had access to sankeys for cheaper than cornies, I'd definately use them.

I use both the 1/6 and 1/4 sanke kegs. IMO they work great for homebrew. Removing and reinstalling the spear takes a little practice but after a while it is a very simple job. All that is required is a small sharp screwdriver to remove, and a small pair of pliers to reinstall. The link below describes reinstalling the spiral ring.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/installing-retaining-ring-sanke-keg-64128/

Thanks for all the info and the links. I'm rounding up my tap system and kegerator this weekend. I think I'll end up going with the 5 gal sankes or sanke converted cornys.
Thanks again
Dusty

Why is this? My personal opinion is that people are afraid of removing the spear, I use sanke kegs exclusively, takes me 2 minutes to remove/reinstall the spear.
Are they difficult to use? Nope, just a small screwdriver and a pair of pliers. Once you get the hang of it it's second nature.
How do you clean or sanitize them? Same as anything else, I use an oxiclean soak and starsan.
I like the idea of being able to take a keg anywhere that has a tap system. I've never brought one of my kegs anywhere, just growlers and the Miller/Coors Mini Draft deals. But I suppose that this is an upside.

How do you clean or sanitize them? Same as anything else, I use an oxiclean soak and starsan.

Do you completely disassemble the spear for cleaning, or do you use a sanke coupler or something to flush it through?

I pull the spear and clean it separately, I don't disassemble the spear, just a nice flush or soak in oxiclean is all it usually needs. Once the keg is depressurized you can depress the ball with your thumb.

I pull the spear and clean it separately, I don't disassemble the spear, just a nice flush or soak in oxiclean is all it usually needs. Once the keg is depressurized you can depress the ball with your thumb.

Thank you. I've got all the info i was looking for. I'm thoroughly sold on the 5 gallon sanke. A trip to Fastenal for some stainless snap rings is in my near future.

Cheers,
Dusty

You're welcome! FWIW, I've never had to replace the spiral retaining rings on mine. They really are easy to put on and take off once you do it a few times.

I have 2 sanke kegs. One i was able to remove the spear, as per the guides on this site. The other one is different. It has the retaining ring that I've removed. But, it doesn't have any notches in the top band to lift the spear through. It also doesn't appear to screw out.

2011-07-04_11-29-29_872.jpg

Any assistance would be appreciated. thank you and have a wonderful 4th.

Looks like a standard sanke to me, they get a lot of buildup on the spear/collar and can be stubborn sometimes. Put a screwdriver against one of the tabs on the inside of the collar and give it a few solid whacks with a hammer. That should free it up for you.

Back