5 gaalon boil pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not done all grain yet but I am pretty positive you need atleast a 7.5 gallon kettle because you have to boil all 5 gallons when you brew all grain

you can do a partial boil and top off, you just have to use more hops and grain to compensate due to low utilization. a 28-30 quart pot is better, though, to get a full boil

Get yourself a ten gallon pot. You`re going to want to end up with 6 gallons post boil. You will transfer 5.5 gallons to the fermenter, and end up with five gallons of finished product in bottles or kegs. Depending on your boil off rate you will probably need to start with at least 7 gallons maybe more.

I use a 7.5 gallon (30 qt.) stainless pot for my AG boils, same pot as I used for extract. It works just fine- I can do a full 6.5 gallon boil in it with no problems. The secret is to use 5 or 6 drops of Fermcap-S, a product available at fine homebrew suppliers everywhere. I got mine from Midwest, and it kills the foam dead.

I have never done an extract brew, I started with all-grain. I just do 2.5-3 gallon batches in a 4 gallon enamel coated pot from wally world. It just seemed like using extract was getting closer and closer to just going down to the grocery store and picking up a sixer. Little batches do me just fine, and it allows a lot more experimentation for less cost than doing 5 gallons at a time.

I picked up 2 five gallon pots at Gordmans for $10 each, and split my boil on the stove. Now that I have the routine down, it works very well.

I frequently make 3 gallon batches which allows me to use a 5 gallon pot. I have an 8 gallon pot that I use for 3 gallon batches with a very lengthy boil or for anything larger. If you plan on making 5 gallon batches you should look into buying a larger pot.

thanks everybody I asked because i have two five gallon pots. two 2.5 gallon batches is interesting.

It is actually. You can experimnet with different yeasts, and slight changes to grain bills for more experimentation. same amount of work for less beer though.

Back