3/16 beer line to 1/4 shank... issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuckiesRevenge

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my kegging system and get some real faucets (no more picnic taps for this guy!:rockin:). Looking at all of the options has been a daunting task but I think I know what I want to do. I want to get 3/16" beer lines (7-10ft), attach them to 1/4" stainless steel tailpieces, to a 1/4" steel shank and stainless perlicks.

The question now is, if I use the 3/16" beer line, will I have any issues if I attach it to a 1/4" bore shank? I'm thinking in my head that there could be turbulent flow from going from the 3/16" to the 1/4", which in turn could potentially cause foaming... but I am not sure if this is the case or will have any major effect on the pour.

Any thoughts?

That's my standard. Heat the end of the beer line before pushing it onto the 1/4" shank and you won't even require a hose clamp in most cases. The ID of the shank is much smaller then the ID of the faucet, so you're already getting a pressure change regardless of if you use the 3/16" or 1/4" beer line, so I wouldn't stress too much on that.

Back