240 wiring question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longrange2

Reaction score
My garage has a 50 amp three prong outlet installed by the previous owner for a welder. Looking at the cable it is marked 4-3 NM. It has red, black and white insulated conductors that appear to be 4 gauge plus a bare ground of smaller size, maybe 8 gauge. Can I wire a 4 prong outlet with that setup or should my ground be an insulated conductor as well? I plan on getting a 50a brewery controller although I only plan to run one element at a time.

Attachments

• IMG_5745.JPG
    IMG_5745.JPG
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 117
Should be able to. Get out the multimeter and check which of the two lines are your hot lines, guessing black and red. White should be your neutral. Are you able to trace this back to the fuse/distribution box?

Depending on the element you get, which most likely a 5500W; 5500W/240V = 22.91Amps when running one element at a time. Again, this should be sufficient enough.

I believe the last couple revisions of the NEC specify that grounding conductors need to be the same size of the live conductors. I don't know if you have to respect that in regards to existing wiring, but you probably would if you are changing receptacles.

I know which sub panel this comes from so I can open it up and verify which conductors are hot and which is neutral. I may pop a GFCI breaker in there while I am at it. I’ve got a 240v Blichmann boil coil. I picked up the G2 15 gallon pot with installed boil coil and an electric tower of power controller from someone getting out of brewing for $600 total. I’ll probably sell the Blichmann controller and get a Brew Buddy controller from Auber.

I opted to not use a SPA-panel, and put a GFCI in my breaker box. Well worth it. As shoengine stated, the NEC specs will probably have all 4 wires be the same gauge. Should be good!

there is not a blanket requirement in the nec for the ground conductor to be the same size as ungrounded (hot) conductors. for many applications, particularily higher amperage applications, the ground is often much smaller than the pther conductors. for this application, the ground conductor size is a function of the upstream overcurrent protective device (breaker) size. assuming a 50 amp upstream breaker, a #10 awg ground conductor is the minimum size required so a #8 awg ground is just fine. in fact, a #8 ground is standard size in #4 nm (romex) cables.

all that being said, a #4 is overkill for a 50 amp circuit, #6 would suffice. oversizing hot conductors for reasons other than those required by the nec requires a corresponding increase in size of the ground conductor. an example would be 'hey, i only need #6 for this 50 amp circuit but i have some #4 on the truck, i'll just use that. bigger is better, right?' in this example, the nec is not dictating a larger conductor size, the user made that decision on their own. there are instances where the nec dictates larger conductors than would 'normally' be required, such as high ambient temperatures or more than three current-carrying conductors in a conduit. no need to fool with ground size in those instances. but using our example above, the #4 has 59% more cross-sectional area than a #6 so the ground has to increase a corresponding 59%. a #10 has a cross-section area of 10380 circular mils and a 59% increase in size represents 16511 circulr mils or ground conductor area required. in the ultimate lol moment, a #8 has a cross-sectional area of 16510 circulr mils and would thus be undersized for this application by 1 circular mil or, like, a human hair. :p so why is this existing circuit oversized?;)

practically, there is no danger with using the #8 ground but this exercise demonstrates an instance where 'going above code' can cause problems. i personally would have no fears using the circuit.

Thanks for the reply, it sounds like I should be good to go. I didn't choose to install the 4-3, it's what was already installed in the house by a prior owner. At least I don't have to worry about re-running the wire. I plan on a GFCI breaker in the panel.

In your situation, with the #4AWG cable installed, I would install a 60A breaker (w/ GFCI). In addition to being able to run two batches through the system efficiently, you have the added benefit of having plenty of auxiliary power for pumps, fans, lights, etc.

I am no electrician, far from it, but here is my 2 cents, I have always heard that you can go bigger on your wires versus breaker, but you can not go the other way. I put my faith into the manufacturer that they know what they are doing when they pair the wires together that they are the correct size. If the wire that you have for your ground wire is not in the same sheeth as the rest of the wires, I would be concern and you may want to run new wire, (for the little bit of electric work that I have done I have seen some shatty work). With it being for your brewery, don’t forget about putting in a GFCI.

Back