210,000 btu banjo burner too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a pretty common burner for home brew I think. I've been using one for years for my 5.5 gal batches. In fact I just added another one to my new brew stand to heat my water in a 15 gal keg. It took me about an hour to get from ground temp to 164, but I wasn't pushing it as it was my first time being the keg and stand.

All that to say, no, it's not overkill in my opinion. Plus, it takes a lot of heat to boil that much wort. Better to have too much than too little.

That burner is only 210,000 btu if you run it wide open on a 30 psi regulator and a fresh, non-iced-up tank of propane.
If you run it at 10psi it's closer to 70Kbtu (eg: the Blichmann rating for their BG-14 style burners)...

Cheers!

I bought 2 of the raw burners for my brew stand, drilled out the orifice for NG & couldn't be happier. While I haven't actually timed my strike or boil, I know for sure that it takes way less than an hour; this is heating 3-4 gal for dough in & 6 gal sparge separately.

You don't have to crank it at full blast unless you're trying to bring up temps. I think this style of burner is much more efficient.

Back