2017 Homebrew Con - Who's going?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious who is heading to Homebrew Con next month? I am looking forward to attending for the first time.:mug:

It'll be so nice to finally meet you! I'll be there Wednesday afternoon through Saturday noon (I think). I'm coming with a friend, and she wants to by home by Saturday evening, but we haven't made the final decision.

When are you arriving into Minneapolis? Some of us have a little fun event on Wednesday evening, apart from the official conference activities. If you'll be around, I'll PM you about it.

Tuesday - Sunday. I'll be at the KCBM booth on Club Night. As we're in the land of 10,000 Mead Makers Of The Year, I'm making it mostly about mead this year, but I'll have beer, cider, and wine to share too. A few have requested I bring some Mead-hattan or Mead-jito; we'll see what I've got time for.

see ya soon

cheers--
--Michael

If anybody wants to meet up, PM me for my phone number. Some of the people who are going should already have my number (it hasn't changed), but if not I'll be glad to give it again. I love meeting up with people from HBT!

I drove up to the one in Baltimore last year and it was a blast. Came home with 2 shopping bags full of stuff including an extract kit. If you stay til close to the end, the vendors will give away almost all the stuff they brought. A friend came away with a full sack of 2 row. Have fun. Hope to make the one next year. Speaking of next year, any idea where it will be?

It should be on the west coast next year, but it hasn't been announced yet.

I believe it's in Portland next year. I've heard a few people (Denny Conn and some other podcasts) mention it already. There's no Pacific Northwest homebrew conference next year for that reason.
I wanted to go this year but my son's birthday is that weekend. My wife didn't like the idea of me missing his 9th birthday. Blah :smack:
I already told her next year we are celebrating it in Portland. Family vacation, I just won't be around for 3 days.

Yes, I had heard Portland as well. I'm not sure, as it's not be officially announced but since that's the rumor it's probably true.

Can't wait! I've never been to Portland. When it was in San Diego, I left early to stay for a while, and stayed longer, and spend about 2 full weeks exploring San Diego. I hope I can do the same in Portland.

Portland would be awesome. I think it's too far for me unless I win the lotto, but I'm already studied up on the area by watching the documentary film series, "Portlandia".

Curious who is heading to Homebrew Con next month? I am looking forward to attending for the first time.:mug:

I'll be there as always. On Thur. afternoon, I'm doing a seminar with Drew, Marshall Schott and Malcolm Frazer. On Fri. afternoon we're recording a live podcast from the Brewcraft booth on the trade show floor. C'mon by and say hi!

If anybody wants to meet up, PM me for my phone number. Some of the people who are going should already have my number (it hasn't changed), but if not I'll be glad to give it again. I love meeting up with people from HBT!

Check the schedule for an all forum meetup time. I know it's scheduled.

I'll be there as always. On Thur. afternoon, I'm doing a seminar with Drew, Marshall Schott and Malcolm Frazer. On Fri. afternoon we're recording a live podcast from the Brewcraft booth on the trade show floor. C'mon by and say hi!

As one of the IGORs, it will be great to have a chance to come by and say hi!

You're going to be out Sopering with me, Homer, and Braufessor on Wednesday, from what I understand. :ban:

I am anticipating the Sopertour with an equal amount of excitement and dread. It's entirely possible to have too good a time.

Eh, I'll have all of Thursday to recover! :tank:

Getting some "supplies" packaged up for next week.

IMG_0927.jpg

As a virgin Con-goer, I have a dumb question.
How does one generally go about sharing beers at such a convention? Do you tote a rolley cooler around until you successfully corral someone into helping critique your recipe on the convention floor, or do I have to pull the "Follow me to my hotel room if you want to experience a REAL beer" line?
Or does one simply imbibe on the already available beverages and leave my beer at home?

How does one generally go about sharing beers at such a convention? Do you tote a rolley cooler around until you successfully corral someone into helping critique your recipe on the convention floor, or do I have to pull the "Follow me to my hotel room if you want to experience a REAL beer" line?
Or does one simply imbibe on the already available beverages and leave my beer at home?

Yes.

I'm no expert as this is my first one as well. I have a backpack cooler I will probably bring along so that I can put a few bottles of beer in for consumption and sharing, along with some ice packs as well as notebook, iPad, etc for going to sessions.

There's more than enough beer from clubs and exhibitors. They'll probably put out the NHC leftovers too.

Hang out at the hotel lobby with your beers out and others will join in. We did it at HBC and GABF last year and it was amazing meeting folks from around the country, both brewers and homebrewers.

It really depends on where you are. State laws apply.

In PA (we were in Philadelphia), it is illegal to drink or have open containers outside of the venue. So they wouldn't let you cross out of the area with an open container. You could carry it with you, but not open it or share it outside of the area.

In Cincinnati, the elevator was labeled "the vertical tasting suite", and were were pouring samples constantly, everywhere, even in the elevator.

There are still PLENTY of places to pour/share beer, and make sure you always have your glass with you. You can definitely bring a rolling cooler with a picnic tap around with you, or just drink other people's beer. There is plenty of beer, but if you want critique on yours, you will always have a willing judge within a foot of you.

I like to bring a few special beers, and make trades with people from other places for my bring home beers.

I should have a Homebrewtalk t-shirt on (at least the first day), and some HBT decals stickers, and I have a few little gifts for HBT members who approach me. So come say hi, and you might score a t-shirt or something!

Back