Homebrew Con 2024 location?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The question is: does AHA need BA? Apparently, the reverse isn't so true. Maybe AHA can do better without being joined at the hip with BA.

If AHA is such an albatross around BA's neck, perhaps they should just spin it off, let someone else run with it. Start a new 501(c) org, build it up new, keep it lean for now, re-focus on home brewing and retaining their members. While I sympathize with their criticism of BA's leadership (and there's lots of room for criticism there), AHA needs to get back to what it did best several years ago, albeit with a smaller membership. Maybe they can do better going it alone.

Pro brewers aren't exactly in love with the BA. Both sides are facing existential threats. What does the BA do for breweries? State guilds are far more important to breweries than the BA. Breweries don't need the BA. Breweries have been abandoning GABF for years now. Focusing solely on the BA isn't going to solve any issues for them. They are going to fail regardless.

Pro brewers aren't exactly in love with the BA. Both sides are facing existential threats. What does the BA do for breweries? State guilds are far more important to breweries than the BA. Breweries don't need the BA. Breweries have been abandoning GABF for years now. Focusing solely on the BA isn't going to solve any issues for them. They are going to fail regardless.
Theses are interesting points, which I haven't heard before. Certainly, the Georgia state guild is driving the initiative to free up distribution here. In the past, was the BA the main body, and now has been supplanted by the guilds?

For me, home brewing is a (mostly) personal / neighborhood hobby. Locally (30 min from my house), clubs and competitions are back, so there are opportunities to "add back" the social aspect of the hobby.

If I were interested in the regional / national aspects of the hobby, https://appellationbeer.com/blog/?s=cbc would be one starting point for "seek[ing] first to understand ...".

Homebrewing as a thing has to adjust to the new reality and it is doing so. The AHA/BA has to as well. It may be best for them to split up and focus on their core group. I am to the point of quiting the aha with there changes from the last couple of years.

I've been an AHA member for a few years and in 2022 I re-upped for the 3 year plan, so I'm covered till 2025. Hopefully, they'll last long enough for me to see that through.

My view of them: it's a mixed bag.

I think they have done many good things for homebrewing and part of me says I'd like to keep supporting them. I understand that they need to pare things down. Consolidating HBC, getting rid of BrewGuru, which was all but useless, anyway. And so on.

This is probably due to many causes. Fewer homebrewers, the hit from the pandemic, rising costs of gear and ingredients. I think a big factor is that homebrewing is an established and mature technology. It's hard to create fresh content and buzz about things that have been well-covered over the years. Sure, there's some new gear and a few new methods to do things, but for the most part, it's been done already.

Over the years the group has been instrumental in lobbying for more homebrewer-friendly legislation. But it looks like that job is done for the most part.

I can see how the organization can easily lose focus, as they are compelled to venture a little outside the typical scope of homebrewing.

Perhaps AHA can re-focus and make its mission to serve its core membership.

Last edited:
I think a big factor is that homebrewing is an established and mature technology. It's hard to create fresh content and buzz about things that have been well-covered over the years. Sure, there's some new gear and a few new methods to do things, but for the most part, it's been done already.
In many areas, the "best" of home brewing has a solid (established and mature) foundation.

OTOH (and just one example), if the currently and repeatedly repeated "forum wisdom" on practices for bottling is
"leave no head space​
(and sorry, no delightful hiss when you open it) and​
be sure to store it in a plastic bin in case it explodes"​
what impact does that have on someone who wants to get started in the hobby?

There's also the idea that experts want to get paid for their work. For internet based content, LLMs may have put the final nails in the coffin. Why pay (or search) for anything when there is ChatGPT?

Hertz is not a good representative for the organization if this is an organization about the membership. She's towing the line and evading giving any kind of clear message, which leaves the conclusions that there is no clear vision for the AHA or there is a clear vision and it's not one members will appreciate.

The more comes out and specifically the more I hear from her, the harder it is to not conclude that this is simply the future of the event and the organization. NHC is a profit center for the BA but the rest of the AHA isn't, so the future will reflect that.

Reading the thread on the AHA forum about the BA/AHA changes and then this, it doesn't seem like a bright future for the AHA. BA is happy to keep the competition, which is a profitable venture, and pass the rest of the convention off as a GABF booth. Wouldn't be surprised to see HBC reduced to a GABF booth or a single tack-on day to GABF. The AHA response in the thread on their forum essentially ignores feedback from everybody to talk about how great the AHA is.
Would you have a link to this thread? I tried to find it and couldn't.

Would you have a link to this thread? I tried to find it and couldn't.

Web advertising enabled free (to the user) sites. Memberships/subscriptions became paywalls.

Video streaming reduces the need to travel for training. Web advertising enabled free (to the user) training content.

LLMs appear to be reducing the need to visit free (to the user) sites.

Latest posts

Back