Homebrew Con 2024 location?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many people showed up to San Diego this year? The homebrewcon website mentioned they expected 1200+ attendees? Considering how many people homebrew that's a sad expectation and it doesn't surprise me they are shifting gears to keep it going.

Edit: GABF attendence was 40k in 2022. This is down it was 60k in 2019. They also have a separate session for AHA and BA members.

Edit: This could give homebrewcon a lot of exposure they didn't have which would help to build it back up.
GABF allows you to buy tickets to just 1 session which helps, unlike HBC. HBC should let you buy each night separate if you want. I know they have "all access" and then the "social" only ticket. I also think GABF numbers could be overinflated as last time I went in 2017, we had tickets for Friday and Saturday nights...so how many of that 40K is double counting people who attended more than one session?

While a lot of people do homebrew, how many are actually AHA members? Plus you're talking flights to San Diego, hotel, $600+ for all access for 3 days and spending money. It's a big nut, especially if going from the East Coast.

1 - Pittsburgh was a flop. I heard multiple accounts about the vendor area being tiny and not much energy at the event.
Not really a shock about Pittsburgh, I mean if you are thinking "craft beer" travel destinations, Pittsburgh does not make the top 10. I am sure there are some good breweries there, but if you look at prior locations, for the most part they were in known craft beer meccas. I'm counting Oakland as San Francisco. Providence in 2019 has good breweries in area, AHA really wanted to have that year in Boston, but hotel prices would have been through the roof, but it was close enough for people to make side trips to Trillium, Tree House and other Mass breweries.

I agree with @Bobby_M's comment about moving the conference around. I would be much more likely to attend a conference that was driving distance. It reduces the cost significantly, but also makes it much easier to bring along beers to share (for club night or other times). If it was always in Denver, it would likely shift to more of just a Colorado Homebrew Con...though smaller regional conferences don't sound like a terrible idea.
I think moving it around is great but you have to have more than 1200-1300 people show up.

Maybe they should focus on smaller city centers outside of major metro areas for their venues with cheaper accommodations.

Rent out a cheap warehouse with air conditioning for the conference it doesn't need to be the bees knees.

They have to figure out how to tap into the homebrewer population. It seems a negligible amount of homebrewers attend.

I'm guessing (and it is a guess) that there is a lot more expense to the logistics and even the "volunteers" than most people would think. Are there meals for the NHC judges? (I'm not saying there should not be.... there should.... but that means the 'volunteers' are not 'free.' Same with speakers?? Rooms/accomodations/meals? I'm also guessing there are plenty of people who speak/present/show up at HBC who are not 'free' as they are paid/compensated to draw in attendees. Setting up the con across the country in a new space every year has to require a lot of travel and recon by staff - rooms, meals, travel, etc. Having it in Denver, in the same spot at the same time every year would definitely greatly reduce a lot of the annual recon and preparation, as well as travel associated expense of putting it on.

GABF allows you to buy tickets to just 1 session which helps, unlike HBC. HBC should let you buy each night separate if you want. I know they have "all access" and then the "social" only ticket. I also think GABF numbers could be overinflated as last time I went in 2017, we had tickets for Friday and Saturday nights...so how many of that 40K is double counting people who attended more than one session?
If homebrewcon could even get 10-15% of the GABF attendance, even if numbers are off it would still be a huge shot in the arm.

I would've never considered San Diego considering all the costs and I have been wanting to attend one.

If homebrewcon could even get 10-15% of the GABF attendance, even if numbers are off it would still be a huge shot in the arm.

I would've never considered San Diego considering all the costs. I have been wanting to attend it.
I hear you! Providence in 2019 was my first, as it was only 45 minutes away. Guys in my club did Baltimore and Grand Rapids ones before that and had fun. It was a blast and I walked about of there with suitcase full of swag, Was first one in New England in 28 years. Guys in my club were all pumped to make the trip to Nashville the following year, but well you know. Would have gone next year if it was in Midwest, but Denver, going to have to check out the cost and how it's going to work with it combine with GABF.

I hear you! Providence in 2019 was my first, as it was only 45 minutes away. Guys in my club did Baltimore and Grand Rapids ones before that and had fun. It was a blast and I walked about of there with suitcase full of swag, Was first one in New England in 28 years. Guys in my club were all pumped to make the trip to Nashville the following year, but well you know. Would have gone next year if it was in Midwest, but Denver, going to have to check out the cost and how it's going to work with it combine with GABF.
Yeah, unfortunately Denver has gotten pretty expensive.

Not really a shock about Pittsburgh, I mean if you are thinking "craft beer" travel destinations, Pittsburgh does not make the top 10. I am sure there are some good breweries there, but if you look at prior locations, for the most part they were in known craft beer meccas. I'm counting Oakland as San Francisco. Providence in 2019 has good breweries in area, AHA really wanted to have that year in Boston, but hotel prices would have been through the roof, but it was close enough for people to make side trips to Trillium, Tree House and other Mass breweries.

I was at the Pittsburgh Con last year and San Diego this year and I can tell you that the vendor portion was way better in Pittsburgh. There were more vendors and they gave away more/better stuff last year, compared to this year.

Yakima was giving away 8oz cans of hops all 3 days to whomever wanted them, this year you had to practically beg them for a couple ounces of CTZ or Cashmere hops.

Smaller regional conferences sound like a good idea...keep the costs down and make it easy to attend.

The travel expense has always been the limfac for me; so smaller, cheaper, regional conferences sounds appealing to me. Sync them with the regional rounds of the NHC.

But I support the AHA moving to a more federalized system (HB clubs as AHA chapters or locals grouped into regions, etc.) in general to allow more legislative advocacy at the state level.

I was at the Pittsburgh Con last year and San Diego this year and I can tell you that the vendor portion was way better in Pittsburgh. There were more vendors and they gave away more/better stuff last year, compared to this year.

Yakima was giving away 8oz cans of hops all 3 days to whomever wanted them, this year you had to practically beg them for a couple ounces of CTZ or Cashmere hops.

YVH was selling their Fall and Winter hop boxes for $10. Mine totaled 88 ounces, 32 of which are Lupomax and BSG was giving away free hops all weekend like they were going out of style. Yakima Chief gave away quite a bit too, at least on Friday/Saturday.

Speaking to a couple of other comments. I believe that security is a MAJOR cost of the event on top of the venue. I was really surprised how many security personnel were posted and how diligent they were in checking for passes. Or at least, I got multiple asks and sideways glances…was borderline annoying.

Denver has been expensive for awhile now. I anticipate travel, hotel, etc., wouldn’t be any cheaper there than it was in San Diego. I spoke to one guy from a Aurora CO club (there were 2 pouring on club night) and he said they would be relieved to not have to haul all their equipment around for 1 year.

Last edited:
The travel expense has always been the limfac for me; so smaller, cheaper, regional conferences sounds appealing to me. Sync them with the regional rounds of the NHC.

But I support the AHA moving to a more federalized system (HB clubs as AHA chapters or locals grouped into regions, etc.) in general to allow more legislative advocacy at the state level.
Can't wait to use "limfac" in a meeting!

YVH was selling their Fall and Winter hop boxes for $10. Mine totaled 88 ounces, 32 of which are Lupomax and BSG was giving away free hops all weekend like they were going out of style. Yakima Chief gave away quite a bit too, at least on Friday/Saturday.

Speaking to a couple of other comments. I believe that security is a MAJOR cost of the event on top of the venue. I was really surprised how many security personnel were posted and how diligent they were in checking for passes. Or at least, I got multiple asks and sideways glances…was borderline annoying.

Denver has been expensive for awhile now. I anticipate travel, hotel, etc., wouldn’t be any cheaper there than it was in San Diego. I spoke to one guy from a Aurora CO club (there were 2 pouring on club night) and he said they would be relieved to not have to haul all their equipment around for 1 year.
I'm fine with what I got this year because I didn't want to have to lug a bunch of stuff back across the country.

That said, the vendor area was a significant downgrade from Pittsburgh (which apparently was a significant downgrade from pre-covid cons) and that part is a big draw for a lot of people.

Last year I ended up with over 100 ounces of free hops, 20+ packs of dry yeast, a 55lb sack of grain, a Cider kit, 5 pound cans of LME etc.

All this is not to say I didn't have a great time, it's just that receiving diminishing returns for higher cost isn't going to make me want to continue attending. To each their own though.

I'm fine with what I got this year because I didn't want to have to lug a bunch of stuff back across the country.

That said, the vendor area was a significant downgrade from Pittsburgh (which apparently was a significant downgrade from pre-covid cons) and that part is a big draw for a lot of people.

Last year I ended up with over 100 ounces of free hops, 20+ packs of dry yeast, a 55lb sack of grain, a Cider kit, 5 pound cans of LME etc.

All this is not to say I didn't have a great time, it's just that receiving diminishing returns for higher cost isn't going to make me want to continue attending. To each their own though.

Wow..that is quite the haul. This was my first time attending so I was still pretty happy going away with what I got.

Learned a lot, had a good time, met some cool people, drank a f* ton of commercial beer and homebrew. Planning on going next year. The biggest death of events is people not going, then everyone is left saying “I wish they still did <insert X> event, I miss going.”

I'm guessing (and it is a guess) that there is a lot more expense to the logistics and even the "volunteers" than most people would think. Are there meals for the NHC judges? (I'm not saying there should not be.... there should.... but that means the 'volunteers' are not 'free.' Same with speakers?? Rooms/accomodations/meals? I'm also guessing there are plenty of people who speak/present/show up at HBC who are not 'free' as they are paid/compensated to draw in attendees. Setting up the con across the country in a new space every year has to require a lot of travel and recon by staff - rooms, meals, travel, etc. Having it in Denver, in the same spot at the same time every year would definitely greatly reduce a lot of the annual recon and preparation, as well as travel associated expense of putting it on.
There isn't a BJCP competition in the entire country that doesn't feed their judges breakfast and lunch. For $29 an entry, and the fact that the judges are spending a couple grand to attend, yes they are being fed but the competition entry fees are absolutely covering that. People that speak at the conference get a pass to the conference, a ~$300 value. The only caveat to your last few points is that it bakes in a continuous annual burden on people in the northeast to attend. I'll attend every conference when I have to spend $1000 in airfare for HALF of them and drive to the others. I'm not spending $2k a year to go to Denver.

Regarding the idea of lowering overhead, etc.. I think this is really the long term solution. Look here at the conference over the years. Past Conferences - Homebrew Con

You can bet they had a security team of none at these, with probably 40 attendees.
1687989090003.png

Look at these big numbers... 200+ !!!
1687989136125.png

When homebrewing exploded and AHA was forced to upscale to serious venues, all the costs and administrative overhead became overwhelming. I don't know if they can even fathom how to back out of that mode of thinking right now. There was a time in the not so distant past that these conventions were bid on via local homebrewing communities. Basically regions of clubs would get together and audition/interview for having the conference in their towns. Here's a facility that can handle the crowd, here's two hotels that agreed to bulk rates of XX. Here's the beer culture that will bring the crowds. Those same club members vowed to break their backs running the thing, volunteering for everything including cellaring to pouring beers at the seminars.

I'm just saying, if the current state of the hobby supports 500 die hards travelling to wherever, that should be what it is.
We're probably settling in to crowds more similar to these:
1687989675014.png

Those hotels have a few things in common. They are JUST big enough to handle these numbers. Their grand ballrooms were PACKED with the club night, and other big events but they fit. No need for a full expo center. They are also all 45 minutes from the international airport and quite a ways outside the metro centers. Those costs were manageable for AHA and the attendees at the sacrifice of being just a little more inconvenient to get to the hot spots.

Just MAYBE, AHA is concerned about the optics of downsizing in a major way and combining it with GABF is a way to obscure what is a sad state of the hobby and make it looks like a big upgrade.

Last edited:
What is there roughly 36k members? That means roughly they had 3.5-3.6% of those members at homebrewcon. The optics have been bad for a while.

I think moving it around is great but you have to have more than 1200-1300 people show up.

Maybe they should focus on smaller city centers outside of major metro areas for their venues with cheaper accommodations.

Rent out a cheap warehouse with air conditioning for the conference it doesn't need to be the bees knees.

They have to figure out how to tap into the homebrewer population. It seems a negligible amount of homebrewers attend.
This. I said earlier, there are fairground locations that have multiple buildings to do conferences and all that. If you do it in the nicer months, the vendors can be outside and you can even rent spaces to the commercial or club brewers too. Hotels are usually pretty close and are a bit more reasonable. I would have loved to go to San Diego, but by the time I figure cost of gas, two days tickets, my wife having to join AHA even though she has no interest in beer other than that I drink it, and then the cost of a hotel, it was over 1k. Way too much for a hobby in my opinion. I will again say, The Good Guys, the classic car organization, puts on two to three events here at the Alameda County Fairgrounds. the cost of the entrance is only about 25 to 30 bucks. Now, I understand that they do not do the classes and the speakers like this does, but if you scale down the venue, you might see an increase in the attendance. Like I said, I would have made the trek to San Diego, but the ticket prices and all the add ons just put it way out of my price range for a hobby. I would think about Denver as I have always wanted to visit there. I have to check out prices and hotels. My wife does not fly, so it is a two day drive each way. But, with that said, I think the organization is trying to be Oracle or Tesla, when they don't have to be. Scale it down in venue and city choices and I think you might see a bit of an increase in attendance. Just one man's opinion, take it for what it is worth. Rock On!!!!!!

Looking over the numbers when you posted them the first time Bobby I had the same thought as your last post. These numbers aren't that far off from a decade ago. Hopefully the next 16 months gives the AHA time to reevaluate the current model and find a way to make this work again.

I'm looking for a way to connect with people about my love for homebrewing and the NHC is the best way to do that at any scale above a few local club meetings and competitions. But even most competitions aren't really focused on the social connection aspect. I think building those social connections is one of the best ways this hobby grows and expands and reaches new people.

They spent the first decade having them in the Denver area. Most of the attendance numbers are missing, but I'm going to assume it was under a couple hundred each time in those early years. Maybe this thing's going full circle and AHA is simplifying by returning it to their back yard. Hopefully, the attendance won't drop to those 1980s numbers again, but as @Bobby_M suggested, it will probably settle in to something like it was 15-ish years ago. It'll become the domain of 500-1000 diehards each year.

There is another recent thread about overall homebrewing numbers, and it was noted there that the number of people homebrewing peaked a good 10 years ago. HBC had its biggest attendance in 2013, so that tracks. The head count of homebrewers nationwide is down now, the attendance at HBC has dropped as well. All the boats going up and down with the tide.

There would be some economy of scale by hosting both events in tandem, in the same place. That was probably a big factor in the decision. Denver is a major hub for several airlines, so lots of flight choices.

HBC.jpg

They spent the first decade having them in the Denver area. Most of the attendance numbers are missing, but I'm going to assume it was under a couple hundred each time in those early years.
If the homebrewing numbers get anywhere near what they were 1980-90 then I better start polishing my resume.

Yeah Providence in 2019 you could get a ton of swag, a lot of vendors were no shows this year I heard, Blichmann, SsBrewTech etc.

With the amount of inflation craft beer has been seeing, it is surprising that homebrewing is experiencing a downturn.

Many are probably just drinking less. With inflation, it's the luxuries that tend to go first. I'm hearing the same story from area restaurateurs--people are eating out less. When the pandemic wound down, people were busting down the doors to go out to bars and restaurants. I think a lot of folks are now dialing things back again.

And homebrewing supplies have really shot up in price, too. With LHBS prices of grain running ~$3/lb, hops at $3/oz., and dry yeast hitting $5 or more, the average casual homebrewer might find that a bit much. Sure, you can save by getting grain by the sack, hops by the pound, and reuse yeast, but the typical weekend warrior isn't into it that deep.

Many are probably just drinking less. With inflation, it's the luxuries that tend to go first. I'm hearing the same story from area restaurateurs--people are eating out less. When the pandemic wound down, people were busting down the doors to go out to bars and restaurants. I think a lot of folks are now dialing things back again.

And homebrewing supplies have really shot up in price, too. With LHBS prices of grain running ~$3/lb, hops at $3/oz., and dry yeast hitting $5 or more, the average casual homebrewer might find that a bit much. Sure, you can save by getting grain by the sack, hops by the pound, and reuse yeast, but the typical weekend warrior isn't into it that deep.
I agree with this. I am what most would call a weekend warrior. I brew maybe twice a month or so and buy only what I need due to storage restraints. I have thought about reusing yeast and buying in bulk, but for me, it is just too much of a hassle to store 50 pound sacks for the small amount of savings. I look at it this way. A typical 12 pack of my go to beer is about 10 to 12 bucks a pack. With taxes and all I am spending somewhere in the area of 2 dollars a beer. To make something I enjoy cost me roughly 50 bucks for a 5 gallon batch, which works into about 45 bottles. A tad bit over 1 dollar a bottle. Plus, it kills a day and I get to enjoy the fruits of my labor. I just got into this so I cannot comment on costs and how it has increased. What I can say though, in my case, it is just a fun way to kill a day or two and get to actually enjoy what I make. I do agree though, that trying to bring cost down by buying in bulk and reusing yeast is something that most "casual" brewers are probably not into. Rock On!!!!!!!

Wow, expected more. Going off what AHA used to say, that there are around a million homebrewers in the country (which I am sure is lower these days) only getting 3.6% of that million to join the AHA, definitely does not help with their revenue models.

As a homebrew shop proprietor, I see a very wide sample size of who makes up the homebrewing community and it tracks completely for me. The vast majority of homebrewers are not even in a local homebrew club, have never participated in an online forum, etc. Joining and paying dues to a nationwide association is very fringe.

With the amount of inflation craft beer has been seeing, it is surprising that homebrewing is experiencing a downturn.
Beer and especially craft beer sales are down overall. High end and craft spirits are dominating the market, which reflects an overall diminishing interest in craft beer.

Homebrewing follows the craft beer market. Homebrewing was at its peak in the middle of the last decade right along with craft beer. As craft beer has cooled, so too has the hobby. Homebrewing was even cooling a little beforehand because the more good beer is readily available the less motivation many have to spend a day making beer and cleaning up after it. When there are fewer people who care about drinking IPAs, there are naturally going to be fewer people who care about making them at home.

Beer and especially craft beer sales are down overall. High end and craft spirits are dominating the market, which reflects an overall diminishing interest in craft beer.

Homebrewing follows the craft beer market. Homebrewing was at its peak in the middle of the last decade right along with craft beer. As craft beer has cooled, so too has the hobby. Homebrewing was even cooling a little beforehand because the more good beer is readily available the less motivation many have to spend a day making beer and cleaning up after it. When there are fewer people who care about drinking IPAs, there are naturally going to be fewer people who care about making them at home.

I agree with this sentiment for the most part. I got into homebrewing in 2010 when the IBU race was heating up because I love IPAs and the thought of being able to create one at home was mind blowing to me.

My first dozen plus homebrews were disappointing to me, but I stuck with it because I knew I could and wanted to make good beer. Most people, especially today, want instant gratification and aren't willing to put the work in to get things right.

I think the NEIPA craze (and their prices) got people interested in brewing their own but once people figured out how hard it is, even for experienced homebrewers, to make a good NEIPA and the amount of work it takes to make even a bad beer, they said no thanks.

I just got into this so I cannot comment on costs and how it has increased. What I can say though, in my case, it is just a fun way to kill a day or two and get to actually enjoy what I make.

Same. Brewing is a hobby, a creative outlet. I can get quality local craft beer for around $2 a bottle here; I have literally no idea what my per-bottle cost is to try to compare (Do I have to amortize the cost of all the brewing doodads I've bought over the years or just the ones I actually use? How much electricity do I use on each batch? Do I have to pay myself for my time?) .... But I don't calculate the ROI on a tomato from my garden either.

Ok, I assumed finished beer.
I strive to fit a full 10 gallons in a pair of 5 gallon cornies on every batch and I rarely miss...

Cheers!

Typo? 5 gallons should get you closer to 54 bottles...

Cheers!
Nope. I will say that 5 gallons in my fermenter bucket yields me about 45 or so bottles. I am trying to get a bit more in my fermenter, but for now that is what I am seeing. But, my yield was not the point. If the governing body, whomever it might be, decides to bring it to a scale where the average joe can afford it, will I go? You damn right I will. Do they care about my opinion? Hell no they don't. There are plenty in this hobby with plenty of disposable cash to warrant spending over 1K for a weekend of what I will call excess. Me? Nope. I don't have that kinda cash. My Civil Servant salary goes towards keeping my home life afloat. Good for yall that can afford this, but for me, I am just going to reach out to those in the San Francisco area and see if we can get a local meet and greet going. Not trying to start an issue, just saying what my situation is. For now, Rock On!!!!!!!

I agree with this. I am what most would call a weekend warrior. I brew maybe twice a month or so and buy only what I need due to storage restraints. I have thought about reusing yeast and buying in bulk, but for me, it is just too much of a hassle to store 50 pound sacks for the small amount of savings. I look at it this way. A typical 12 pack of my go to beer is about 10 to 12 bucks a pack. With taxes and all I am spending somewhere in the area of 2 dollars a beer. To make something I enjoy cost me roughly 50 bucks for a 5 gallon batch, which works into about 45 bottles. A tad bit over 1 dollar a bottle. Plus, it kills a day and I get to enjoy the fruits of my labor. I just got into this so I cannot comment on costs and how it has increased. What I can say though, in my case, it is just a fun way to kill a day or two and get to actually enjoy what I make. I do agree though, that trying to bring cost down by buying in bulk and reusing yeast is something that most "casual" brewers are probably not into. Rock On!!!!!!!
Huh. 6 packs are at the $12 price point where I am at. I got a deal on a Deschutes IPA 12 pack for $20.

Huh. 6 packs are at the $12 price point where I am at. I got a deal on a Deschutes IPA 12 pack for $20.
My bad. I think I mistyped. I just bought 2 six packs of Bear Republic Racer 7 for 10 bucks a six pack. So, with that being said, 20 bucks for 12. Ouch. LOL. My 5 gallon keg, that to me is just as good, was 45 bucks I think all in. Rock On!!!!!!

I accidentally got into making beer. The first time I brewed, I was hooked. At that time, I really didn't know much about commercial craft beer. Turns out I just really enjoy the process and the results. And I like hanging out with like minded individuals. If that means Denver (nae bad place to hang oot) so be it. 🍻

I don't buy much packaged beer at the store, but I go to area breweries for a few pints. Pre-pandemic the price was typically $5-6 a pint for the average brew. Now I'm seeing more like $7-8, and a few $9 pints. At one place, they held to $7, but replaced their true pint nonics with the 13 or so oz. shakers.

One brewery I've been to a few times has a nice, barrel-aged imperial stout. It's $12 for a 10 oz. pour. They sell 750ml bottles of it for $34, which, ounce for ounce, is what would get me a decent 12 yr single malt in the liquor store.

If the governing body, whomever it might be, decides to bring it to a scale where the average joe can afford it, will I go? You damn right I will. Do they care about my opinion? Hell no they don't. There are plenty in this hobby with plenty of disposable cash to warrant spending over 1K for a weekend of what I will call excess.
On a thread talking about the cost of an entry to the NHC, it was pointed out that the AHA's focus on being inclusive and encouraging diversity was a bit at odds with a competition that costs $50 to $200 for somebody to enter a handful of beers (including just the entry, packaging and shipping costs, not the cost of brewing the entries and the $50 annual cost to be a member). The same seems to apply here. Without a plane flight, conference attendance and half the cost of a room in Pittsburgh was about $1K for me. I am sure SD would have been $1.5K or more. At those prices, it is going to be hard to attract the "average joe" that only dreams of having an extra $1K to put towards savings.

On a thread talking about the cost of an entry to the NHC, it was pointed out that the AHA's focus on being inclusive and encouraging diversity was a bit at odds with a competition that costs $50 to $200 for somebody to enter a handful of beers (including just the entry, packaging and shipping costs, not the cost of brewing the entries and the $50 annual cost to be a member).
Donations? See slides 38 & 39 of the presentation mentioned here. To be clear, I see nothing wrong with the approach as it is voluntary. Also note that the organization(s) asking for the donated resources is(are) not AHA./ISPOILER]

Last edited:
Back