Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2015 is here and things couldn't look any brighter for the craft beer industry this year.
hbt-raymond-1-1553.jpg

The big names in beer continue to lose ground to craft beer as craft beer sales increased again going into 2015. Craft beer sales, showed an increase of 17.2% or 15 million barrels over the past year due to the continuing increase or shift of beer drinkers drinking craft beer. It's slowly becoming better known that craft brewers use better ingredients, which in turn results in a tastier beer. The craft beer community is also growing by word of mouth and with help from sites such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram just to name a few.
hbt-raymond-2-1554.jpg

A photo from the Great American Beer Festival
Craft beer drinkers are also becoming better educated and are realizing craft beer provides a better drinking experience due to the exciting and flavorful options that are offered. Craft beer production has grown almost 11% (compounded annually) for a decade, according to the National Beer Association. Though make no mistake craft beer sales overall are only a small percentage compared to the big names in beer, but small breweries are gaining ground slowly but surely. In November, the United States passed the mark of 3,200 brewers in the country, and the number of brewery licenses reached its highest mark ever, coming in at 4,500 in the first sixth months of 2013. Thirteen states (CA, CO, WA, OR, MI, NY, PA, TX, FL, WI, IL, NC and OH way to go Ohio sorry have to rep my state here for a second ) now have more than 100 breweries each.
Breweries are opening at a rate of 1.5 per day. In addition, there are more than 2,000 breweries in the works. Through June 2014, craft brewers enjoyed an 18% growth by volume and others are reporting double digit growth numbers as well. Of course it isn't just us craft beer drinkers taking notice of all this growth as AB InBev did as well and acquired 10 Barrel Brewing Co. This spawned some pretty ugly comments from loyal craft beer drinkers but shows that the big names in beer are taking notice of craft beer's popularity. Even celebrities are getting in on the craft beer movement such as craft beer drinker and brewer Will Wheaton and his pretty hilarious Newcastle Commercial and work with Stone Brewing and Northern Brewer.
hbt-raymond-3-1555.jpg

A pretty interesting piece of data actually comes from AB InBev that around 45% of 21 to 27-year-olds say they have never tried Budweiser which says a lot about the growth of craft beer and its reach. Another big tool that start up craft breweries are using is Kickstarter a site some use to crowd fund their business when a traditional loan isn't enough. This has really shown the strength of the craft beer community and how passionate they are about craft beer.
hbt-craft-beer-1556.jpg

Image courtesy of BeerForum.com
The year 2015 could be the biggest year for craft beer to date and who knows what new beer will be created and what new brewery will open its doors and bless us with great craft beer. It's up to each and every one of us to keep supporting craft beer and spread the word as much as possible. The craft beer community overall is a loyal community that speak loudly with the beer they drink so raise up a craft beer glass to the hope of continued growth and success of craft beer in 2015! As always you can catch me on Beer Advocate and Ratebeer under name Ohiobeer29 or on twitter at @ohiobeer29, or here on HomebrewTalk as Ohiobeer29, to trade beer stories, reviews and thoughts on the next great beer to look out for.
hbt-craft-beer-1556.jpg

I absolutely love the explosion of craft/micro breweries. It's amazing how a few years ago in Dayton, OH, there wasn't anything, now we have 11 and growing.
I'm only afraid that the growth might be too fast and the market will get saturated and cause a downward spiral.
Also LOVE the Yellow Springs love!

Good to hear. Who is Will Wheaton? That's the first time that I've ever heard his name.
I'm from OH too and glad to say that GLBC is what got me into drinking craft beer.

@brewprint Will Wheaton is a child star (Stand By Me, Star Trek Next Generation) who saw some popularity again recently with Big Bang Theory and YouTube. Each year he brews WootStout with Stone Brewing.

I'm all for variety but just like any rapid growth industry/sector - it gets saturated fast. The numbers are there that show it's difficult for new breweries now. Equipment makers know they can charge more with all these startups and competition is more fierce now. This is ironic considering the whole craft beer industry has been more of a buddy-buddy business against the big beer companies but now its becoming craft brewer against craft brewer. The final thing is that Americans are not drinking any more per capita....its just more are switching from Miller, Coors, and Bud. There is an irony there as well...craft beer drinkers do not slam 3-5 craft brews....like a person drinking Bud can. They tend to me more alcoholic, more robust in flavor and "heaviness"...hence the price difference too.
Personally, I would like to see a shift to more sessional beers this year and the upcoming years. The IPA scene is starting to get tired....it's gotten to the point where there is no malt flavor that you can notice in a 100 IBU IPA. Plus the fact that with the "limited editions", breweries have to watch that they don't price themselves out of business by trying to sell a bomber for $20...it better be the best damn beer I've ever had for that price!

I'll hop on the Dayton area brewery love. It's amazing that in a few short years we now have Warped Wing, Eudora, Toxic, Yellow Springs, Star City, Lock 27, and more whose names are escaping me. And that's in a city of ~150,000 in freaking Ohio. AND we get to enjoy the Cincinnati brews.

I'll very respectfully disagree with the comments about the growth rate causing some sort of downward spiral or there being an over-saturation problem. I think the massive growth will only help the overall market. The main reason I say that is that it is, eventually, going to create an incredibly competitive landscape with craft brewers being pitted against craft brewers. We are starting to see that now but that massive gap between the BBL volumes produced by BMC vs craft breweries is still allowing craft brewers to, in a lot of ways, just be better than BMC in the eyes of thier customers.
As the growth rate continues, it'll be harder and harder for mediocre breweries to stay afloat. They are going to have to either make really REALLY solid beer or the consumer will simply travel four more miles down the road to a brewery that does. There is a ton of AMAZING beer out there that is the result of the recent boom... but there is also a ton of really crappy beer out there... and, like I was saying, the continued growth rate will, sooner rather than later, snuff out the breweries who aren't putting out top-notch beers.
I don't know how that's a bad thing for the average consumer.

it has a worldwide flow on effect..few years ago all you could consume was the swill the BIG breweries wanted you to drink.now you can choose what beer you want when you want,even select food pairing's

I think it's a good thing, remembering how many breweries we used to have in Ohio when I was a little kid versus now. It's slowly coming full circle again. So that's a good thing. So far as growth rate is concerned, I do believe it'll be pitting smaller brewers against each other that used to be one big happy family. But that's the nature of any business type when it gains in popularity. Everyone jumps on the band wagon for the "next big thing". But rather than a downward spiral, it'll weed out the bad beers or force them to improve their product to stay competitive. Thus improving overall quality. So I see it as a return to the way things were, but with better quality. After all, it was the smaller mom & pop breweries that didn't survive Prohibition that were basically the "craft" brewers of their day. So in a way, we're getting back more of what used to be. How many brands of better made beers have closed their doors due to ill thought out laws & such? How many jobs & taxes lost? These things are being reversed as well, so that can't be a bad thing!
Not to mention,the USA becoming the craft beer mecca of the world. Rising above other countries that were traditional hot spots for great beer. Now folks are taking beer vacations here instead of the European union. Another bonus of the craft beer revolution...

Back