2014 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398792748.440174.jpg haven't put up my poles yet but my plants are in the ground. Spacing is close I know but I'm going for a closed wall off for ambiance on my deck. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398792853.410368.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1398792869.069189.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That is close spacing but I like the wall idea. How many plants and what varieties?

21 plants. All chinook. I went for something that will have good sidearm length and stayed same variety due to how close I was keeping them. Maybe in a year or two I can transplant some out when they mature.

Cutworm! I hates you so! 1398808111658.jpg

1398808142130.jpg

1398808168274.jpg

A 4 foot bine.... Cut off about 9 inches. Just bought some neem oil this weekend too...

Cutworm! I hates you so!
A 4 foot bine.... Cut off about 9 inches. Just bought some neem oil this weekend too...

Was just going to say. I have neem and my caterpiller killer soil bacteria stuff...whatever it is called. Only 2weeks of rain so haven't gotten to protect my babies yet.

So, according to this, my 2nd year hops are very low on phosphorous, ok on potash, low to very low on nitrogen and neutral to alkaline. Hmmm.

I just put blood meal down two months ago for nitrogen, I hear that vinegar can work for lowering pH and not sure how to do phosphorous as bone meal takes months to break down.

20140429_210036[1].jpg

My centennial pot on the left and my chinook pot on the right.

Cutworm! I hates you so!

Huh. I thought that was maybe rodents in my garden. I put fence around, and I don't see any more of mine damaged like that. I only really noticed damage on the Nugget, and not the Cascade.

Huh. I thought that was maybe rodents in my garden. I put fence around, and I don't see any more of mine damaged like that. I only really noticed damage on the Nugget, and not the Cascade.

Nuggets been hit 3 times. They hit Zeus once, and cascade once. This one was the most profound though. Aggravating.

So, according to this, my 2nd year hops are very low on phosphorous, ok on potash, low to very low on nitrogen and neutral to alkaline. Hmmm.

I just put blood meal down two months ago for nitrogen, I hear that vinegar can work for lowering pH and not sure how to do phosphorous as bone meal takes months to break down.

View attachment 196497

My centennial pot on the left and my chinook pot on the right.

All I know about using vinegar in the garden is that it can be used as a herbicide (plant killer).

All I know about using vinegar in the garden is that it can be used as a herbicide (plant killer).

:off:
(This could get off topic as I have strayed from pics of garden.)

So some follow up reading shows that hops are fine in the 6-7.5 range...and in general they are still a weed so not sure if home growers really need to obsess over this anyway. <shrug>

As for the vinegar, yes at full strength it appears (according to the interwebz) to be a great dandelion and weeds in concrete killer.

Also according to the interwebz, a guy used 12oz in 1 gal water and dropped the pH in his potted blueberries by 2 points....(and I believe this was across 'some' pots of plants, not all in one.)

Not sure what I have added to the convo, but I'll come back in a couple weeks with more pics to make up for it. :p

Trench for irrigation

And finally in the ground!

I know were a little late and the rhizomes were in the fridge for almost 2 weeks but at least they are in the ground. Hopefully we won't lose too many. 5 plants each of 5 varieties. 100' hop row with room to grow!

And in the distance... Future barn nano ...

I get to contribute this year! Finally bought some rhizomes from thmye gardens.

Gotten goin in pales for now in central illinios where we still are in frost risk

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398952744.504612.jpg

My first year garden using a recycled 17' antenna pole with Nugget, Fuggle, and Centennial.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399177049.322018.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399177085.416862.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399177107.972790.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399177130.153597.jpg

Pic of the hops today. This is post first shoot trimming and then we had a cold spell. Warm weather making them happy. Chinook really didn't like the cold, see it just starting to peak above the pot lip, but it is throwing up about four shoots that appear healthy enough to train up the twine.

20140504_180813[1].jpg

(Ha, well I guess you can't see it.)

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399246632.532894.jpg planted my rhizome (only one because we are renting and don't plan on bring here more than another year) and then it snowed. No life yet.

"I will make it felony to drink small beer. "

(l-r) Willamette, Cascade & Columbus. Second year growth, although they were transplanted end of last year after harvest (see my blog for details)

Very Nice, I like seeing a post from a fellow Washingtonian for climate perspective. Although your columbus is way past any of my second year vines.:mug:

FYI - I attempted to lower my pH a bit using a very dilute vinegar/water mixture. After watching a youtube about a guy treating blueberries because my soil tested out in the high alkalynity(?) range which isn't surprising given our water in this area.

Not sure if it was the warming weather or the vinegar, but all the plants are SUPER happy in last week and my laggards are putting on over 2-4" a day right now.

(Basically I mixed 12oz vinegar with 1gal water and that was spread over nine different pots. I will retest the soil sometime this week see if it has dropped abit.)

Very Nice, I like seeing a post from a fellow Washingtonian for climate perspective. Although your columbus is way past any of my second year vines.:mug:

Yeah, the Columbus has really surprised me (in a good way). It was way ahead of the others in the first year too, especially when it came to harvest. Got about 1lb of cones (wet weight) from it, whereas I got only 2oz from the Cascade and three whole cones from the Willamette.

Hoping for great things from it this year.

Side arms and burs on the cascade and nugget 12' tall. Nice weather made for earlier results. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399336917.381951.jpg

Has anyone here experimented with AACT/Compost tea? I'm willing to bet that using it would greatly improve harvests.

2 out of 6 plants have broken ground. The rest started then we were going to get snow and frost for another week so i put 1/2 of dirt over the little bit that was showing. They still haven't broken ground and it's been weeks. Think They are done for?

2 out of 6 plants have broken ground. The rest started then we were going to get snow and frost for another week so i put 1/2 of dirt over the little bit that was showing. They still haven't broken ground and it's been weeks. Think They are done for?

When you say "1/2 of dirt", do you mean half an inch? half a foot? Also, how much was above ground before you added it? and how many years have you had them in the ground?

Hops are pretty hardy so they can put up with a lot and still come through. I managed to successfully transplant mine last year and they're stronger than ever this year. See my blog if you're interested.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399533181.461847.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1399533223.659831.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1399533255.628562.jpg
Columbia Gorge outside Portland, Oregon

1st pic is Columbus (Zeus)
2nd pic is Cascade
3rd pic is Centennial

All first year locally purchased rhizomes planted early April.

Mixed local soil in cement mixer with steer manure, mushroom compost, and garden soil.

One three day hot spell so far.

Setup auto watering today with 3 hour drip in the mornings every other day.

Crossing fingers for a great first season!

I have 2nd-year Cascade, Centennial, and Columbus reaching the 10 foot mark on the trellis now. At this rate they'll be to the top (20 feet) by the end of June. :rocking:

Freakin new puppy chewed 5 bines at the base of my 15' tall nugget that had burs. SOB. I kicked that bstrd. 6 weeks of growth down the drain.

Freakin new puppy chewed 5 bines at the base of my 15' tall nugget that had burs. SOB. I kicked that bstrd. 6 weeks of growth down the drain.

Frist of all, don't kick the dog! second hops are poisonous to dog so they should not be planted where the dog can get too it, especially a puppy.

Back