2014 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hop shoots at about 2inches and we are back into some freezing evenings. Hoping their leaf cover insulation gets em through. Will see by Wed/Thurs. Fingers crossed.

Hops?
Shoots?
Can not see the ground yet?
There is at least 24 inches of snow on my hop bed. We got 4 more inches over the weekend.
Was 5F at 5:15AM when I left for work....
It is still winter here!!!!

Growing Cascades in Miami - 3 rhizomes now going

Hops Day 7.jpg

You guys are making me jealous. Really want to venture into growing some this year. Way to inspire!

Get on it! Now is a great time to start.

I need to do a little research first and build a little raised bed. Might be a good weekend project though. Other than this forum and google, do you have any suggestions for reference materials? I'm assuming full sun is good for hops, and I do live (somewhat) near the hop capital of the world. I'm in western WA, but have a southern facing back yard that's full sun I'm thinking would be a great spot for planting. Will probably start with cascade, simcoe, centennial. Any other suggestions? Heavy west coast IPA drinker and fairly new to this

Thanks, and cheers!

I need to do a little research first and build a little raised bed. Might be a good weekend project though. Other than this forum and google, do you have any suggestions for reference materials? I'm assuming full sun is good for hops, and I do live (somewhat) near the hop capital of the world. I'm in western WA, but have a southern facing back yard that's full sun I'm thinking would be a great spot for planting. Will probably start with cascade, simcoe, centennial. Any other suggestions? Heavy west coast IPA drinker and fairly new to this

Thanks, and cheers!

I started last year. I was able to get a good yield out of potted plants I received as gifts. I am only keeping one kind as the other two don't fit the styles I want to brew. I would definitely choose hops based on the beer you enjoy and grow those. It may be wise to pick up a bittering variety. This year, I made room for Zeus, cascade, Chinook, and Nugget.

I'm not sure if Simcoe is available. I read that it is proprietary (there are many wiser than I, and I cite them from this site). I can back it up in that I haven't been able to see that variety sold to homebrewers. If you get your hands on some, share with the rest of us where you found it.

Be careful with growing hops, it drives you that much deeper into the obsession. Good luck and have fun!

IMG_20140324_135245_zpsnye9vvyy.jpg

was brewing a saison and fixing my lines between steps.
L > R
EKG - Zeus - Chinook - Cascade

My wife and I close on our house on May 1st. I won't be able to plant until then, but I'm hoping they'll still do good. I'm going to plant Centennial and Columbus.

i'd at least try to container plant for now.... or at least some homer buckets with some potting mix inside to get them going maybe?

i'd at least try to container plant for now.... or at least some homer buckets with some potting mix inside to get them going maybe?

We're in a small apartment at the moment, so I don't really have the room to do that.

My wife and I close on our house on May 1st. I won't be able to plant until then, but I'm hoping they'll still do good. I'm going to plant Centennial and Columbus.

If you order hop starts, I do't think they will even ship until May'ish. That is how I got my six plants last year.

We're in a small apartment at the moment, so I don't really have the room to do that.

We live in a small apartment, too, but we get it done :rockin:

We use rubbermaid tubs, actually. Very large volume and about 1/10th the cost of a garden pot or barrel of the same size.

But obviously, YMMV :)

We live in a small apartment, too, but we get it done :rockin:

We use rubbermaid tubs, actually. Very large volume and about 1/10th the cost of a garden pot or barrel of the same size.

But obviously, YMMV :)

One downside of rubbermaid tubs is they don't weather very well. This is my 4th season with mine and they are very discoloured and brittle from the sun. I've been considering using a large plastic garbage bin as they are huge, even cheaper than a rubbermaid tub and probably better suited for outdoor life.

I used a Rubbermaid bin to store charcoal in, and left it outside most of one spring through fall. No. They do not handle outdoors very well. It got brittle.

Those black plastic nursery pots will last outdoors for quite a while.

We moved into our house in late April of last year and I planted 2 Cascade rhizomes that day. They yielded close to a pound total with vigorous growth all season. Already showing good shoots this year, I just built a new trellis as they overcame my little 5' one by early June last year. The new one is pushing 9' and quite a bit bigger.

Unrelated, you should PM me that ten fidy clone recipe :D.

The frost was 5feet plus here in ND with not much snow cover in areas. When the under ground water pipes are freezing it has been cold. I am hopping (get it) that last years rhizomes will survive. Started 5 varieties 9 grew well last year, 1 was done in by the dog. Maybe my area will get more rain this year so I don't need to tote the hose around the yard to trickle for 40 minutes at each plant.

Here's to a good harvest.

I used a Rubbermaid bin to store charcoal in, and left it outside most of one spring through fall. No. They do not handle outdoors very well. It got brittle.

Those black plastic nursery pots will last outdoors for quite a while.

I'm on three years with mine now. Through 115F to -15F weather with everything in between short of tornado and hurricane.

My bins must be made of magic. =)

I'm on three years with mine now. Through 115F to -15F weather with everything in between short of tornado and hurricane.

My bins must be made of magic. =)

That reminds me. We do have Rubbermaid garbage cans we turned into compost bins. Those have lasted several years. They're also shaded by a crepe myrtle and a shed. Different material? Shade? I dunno.

Zeus1396075560426.jpg
Chinook 1396075594381.jpg
Cascade (trust me, they're in there... 1396075631031.jpg
Willamette 1396075688376.jpg
Nugget 1396075718449.jpg

Can't wait to put them all in the ground this year.

I've got 15-20 plants 8 different varieties all popping up here in Tn. Threw 4 or so inches of compost on top of them and told them "not yet". Some are 4th yr so should be fun to tame. Plenty of rhizomes ready for pickin as well as some 2nd yr clones if anyone in north tn south ky is interested. Pm me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Was able to get out this past weekend and put up the Hop Line for the 1st year of growing. We've got plans to pick up 5-6 crowns to plant them in here. It's 2 pieces of 10' 1.25" conduit put 2.5' into the ground with a cable strung very tight across the length. Plan is to grow them up and then back down in a reverse V style. I know it's going to take more work, but we wanted to be able to reach everything without going 15 feet in the air. The picture is boring as hell, but it's a starting point.

20140330_143140.jpg

Updates, got leaves and don't even have to go searching for little nubins anymore.

Chinook seems to be the winner for what will grow in midwest.
20140331_174725-picsay.jpg

Willamette was the first to start sprouting, seems prolific, but not getting taller.
20140331_174744-picsay.jpg

My magnum appears to be the laggard with its baby purple colors still, tall though.
20140331_174710-picsay.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396368330.985236.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1396368556.344901.jpg

Getting some growth going on my cascades in miami.

These leaves look a little different, can anyone confirm that I did receive cascade here?
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396368689.934016.jpg

View attachment 190081View attachment 190082

Getting some growth going on my cascades in miami.

These leaves look a little different, can anyone confirm that I did receive cascade here?
View attachment 190083

I'm supposedly growing Cascade, and that third picture with the three lobed leaves is what mine looks like.

A few minutes on Bing images shows plants labled Cascade with one lobe, three lobes and some with both. So, yeah... :cross:

I suppose the earliest leaves could have a different look than the later, but mine have been three from the first leaf on.

HMM.. I have green! I have seen several buds and found this little green under a pile of leaves. I think that it had just the right combo of warmth and a hint of sunlight to show me that my crop should be doing well this year. I have about 60-plants in the ground right now and hope for 40lbs of harvest in fall.

hops.jpg

I haven't checked since last night, but there was nothing yet here in Central MN. The snow is fairly well-depleted from my yard, but the ground probably not warm enough yet to promote decent growth.

DANG! I am hoping to say I put 'some' fresh hops in A beer. LOL.

Open question, how many bines do you experienced guys train? Can I do two bines per string? Two strings per pot gives me four bines per hop type.

That's the generally accepted model of training. Though if you wanted to get "funky" you could to the upside-down teepee with 4+ bines trained individually in different directions.

Just a thought...

DANG! I am hoping to say I put 'some' fresh hops in A beer. LOL.

Open question, how many bines do you experienced guys train? Can I do two bines per string? Two strings per pot gives me four bines per hop type.

I train as many as I can (usually 3-4). I have a theory in that the more bines, the more light exposure- the more the rhizomes/root system grows. I imagine that my hop harvest is limited as a result. I am growing these for a future farm and hope to provide my own rhizome stock. The hops now are a perk! Only one problem, I have a few plants that I did not label well, and struggling to figure out what they are.. therefore, I will not use those as stock

Two of my 3 plants are already climbing their string towards the sky..

My Columbus which was a slower one on the first year(3oz dried) is picking it up this year...one of its bines is probably 2+ feet already.

My 2nd year centennial are coming up here in Fort Collins. I doubt we are done with our last frost so we will see what happens!

1396556503323.jpg

This is my second year Amalia. A New Mexico variety. And we had a cold winter by Texas standards. I'm just North of Dallas. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396652664.895474.jpg

Bine one is 6.5 feet tall. Bine two is 4 feet tall. Guess I have to string my line from the gutter this weekend.

I didn't take any pics yet, but I have 3 coming out of the ground right now (that are 1 year old now) ...cascade, centennial,and columbus. The funny thing is this:

The Columbus is 16 inches tall right now with multiple shoots (this was the smallest last year but produced the most hops).
The Centennial is 1 foot tall with 4 shoots , (this was the medium bine last year, with 6 cones).
The Cascade is just now emerging from the ground, but it was by far the largest of the 3 species last summer, and produced no hops at all.

things the make you go Hmmm. :confused:

Back