2013 Cider Yeast Olympics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LandoAllen

Reaction score
The 2013 Cider Yeast Olympics have come at last! The competition is stiff this year with 8 yeast competing to brew up the winning cider. Last Saturday I pressed 42 gallons of cider. I hit them with 1/2 the recommended dosages of campden. 16 hours later I added recommended amounts of yeast nutrient and pectin enzyme. Let the games begin:

5 gallons with US-05
5 gallons with S-04
5 gallons with Notthingham
5 gallons with Belgian Whit Ale Yeast WLP400
5 gallons with Belgian Ale Yeast WLP550
5 gallons with Bavarian Weizen Yeast WLP351
7 gallons with Red Star Pasteur Champagne
5 gallons with S-23 Lager Yeast

The OG of the cider was 1.058. I plan on trying to stop fermentation at 1.015-1.020. I put the large carboys in water baths to help regulate the temp better and right now they are bubbling away at 64-65 degrees. The lager cider is in the refrigerator brewing at a constant 45 degrees thanks to my temperature controller.

Let the competition begin!

image-1397387744.jpg

image-1475398264.jpg

I did something similar. I took 11 gallons of fresh pressed cider from our orchard and added a combo of brown and white sugar to get the OG to around 1.070. Broke them into 2.5 G batches and let one ferment wild.

Yeasts:

-WLP 775 English Cider yeast
-Danstar Belle Saison yeast
-Lalvin 71B-1122
-Lalvin Bourgovin RC 212
-Wild/spontaneous ferment. 1 gallon

They are currently still in the primary however I plan to rack 1G of each onto cinnamon for around a week or so. I have no plans to carbonate unless I take the extra .5G and carb with raisins.

Back