20.00 Palmer Kits !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drinking the snatch the pebble now and its really good. Still really young tasting....fair amount of bitterness and hop flavor, but I like it.

To the guy making his first sasion, I made 3 this summer, all different yeast. Not Palmer kits, I really didn't like any of them, could just be my preference. My Belle sasion one seems like it had too much yeast in the packet vs. an normal packet. Its high krawsen dropped in 18hrs. Had a strong "nail polish remover" smell to the alcohol. I let is set for a month in primary. This did not go away and eventually was a dumper. I started it cold, low 60s. I planned on ramping it up, but never got the chance.

Drinking the snatch the pebble now and its really good. Still really young tasting....fair amount of bitterness and hop flavor, but I like it.

To the guy making his first sasion, I made 3 this summer, all different yeast. Not Palmer kits, I really didn't like any of them, could just be my preference. My Belle sasion one seems like it had too much yeast in the packet vs. an normal packet. Its high krawsen dropped in 18hrs. Had a strong "nail polish remover" smell to the alcohol. I let is set for a month in primary. This did not go away and eventually was a dumper. I started it cold, low 60s. I planned on ramping it up, but never got the chance.

I hated my first saison sample and considered dumping it. Instead I bottled it and ignored it for 6 months. Mmmmm. Had to make a second batch.

Keep watching for sales. As annoying as the constant emails are, I subscribe to the major online brewing suppliers. When there is a kit sale, I stock up and use the ingredients for other recipes. I think I just bought some $20 kits last week.

Midwest Brewing has 6 different style kits for $19.99 every day of the year. I'll just wait til they FREE shipping and buy 6-8 kits. Love their Stout and Brown Ale. Hell, each kit comes with hops, yeast, specialty grains AND 6 lbs of LME. The LME costs $18 by itself.

Not quite a sale when you have to buy everything separate. Then it comes out to be a not a sale. Mine as well buy a better brand.

Well, I brewed the Cream Ale and today kegged after 20 days in primary. I must say I was disappointed in the flavor and am hopeful it will improve over the next few weeks in the keg. I followed the instructions - exactly. I am an all-grain brewer and once in awhile will do an extract. Purchased the kit at a very low price and thought it was a deal. Now I'm having second thoughts. I have the amber kit as well and will brew tomorrow. However with this second kit, I think I will do a full boil instead of following the instructions.

I have the Raison D'Saison which just completed two weeks in primary. OG (with 1lb sugar "alcohol booster) my OG was 1.071. I fermented with second generation Yeast Bay Voss Kviek at 94° ramped to 100°. Best I could get was FG of 1.013 which puts me at 81-82% attenuation and 7.6% ABV. The gravity test sample tasted pretty decent. I was thinking about a finishing yeast to drive the gravity down a few more points, but I want to harvest that batch of yeast so probably will just keg. Will report back in a few weeks.

I have the amber kit as well and will brew tomorrow. However with this second kit, I think I will do a full boil instead of following the instructions.

I just kegged the amber and it turned out well. I dry hopped the crap out of it though, so my opinion on the kit by itself may be worthless. :)

I just kegged the amber and it turned out well. I dry hopped the crap out of it though, so my opinion on the kit by itself may be worthless. :)

Not worthless but maybe not the beer you want. You invested $20 and got the basic beer, then added to it to get the beer you want, the same as I might do with a recipe. Your total cost was still lower than if you had bought the ingredients separately.

I've been drinking the oatmeal stout for a couple of weeks now and its hands down the best beer I've made yet . Now I realize that ain't saying a lot but its damn good !

I have the Raison D'Saison which just completed two weeks in primary. OG (with 1lb sugar "alcohol booster) my OG was 1.071. I fermented with second generation Yeast Bay Voss Kviek at 94° ramped to 100°. Best I could get was FG of 1.013 which puts me at 81-82% attenuation and 7.6% ABV. The gravity test sample tasted pretty decent. I was thinking about a finishing yeast to drive the gravity down a few more points, but I want to harvest that batch of yeast so probably will just keg. Will report back in a few weeks.

Ok so this beer has been done for nearly one month, but due to my keezer currently on double duty as a fermentation chamber I haven't been able to taste this beer. As mentioned above it was a full boil, fermented up to 100°, and kegged after two weeks. Since I couldn't chill the beer, it sat at room temperature for 25 days under 12PSI of pressure...essentially a month long secondary. I got it into the keezer 24 hours ago and poured a sample goblet.

Surprisingly it was carbed better than expected, but now that is at 36° will likely pick up more carbonation. It was very hazy. It could be due to being the first pour, I expect it to clear up as I go. ***see attached picture***. I almost wanted to say the nose had a slightly unexpected, but pleasant floral note, some reminiscence of a cream ale. It was incredibly clean tasting, with only the slightest hint of spice hop bitterness noted immediately after swallowed (makes sense since bitterness is back of tongue). My wife liked it. Her friend liked it. I'd say this will not last very long! I did a sample pour from a picnic tap, but will not formally tap for a little longer (until a few other beers are ready to tap as well).

On another noted I also brewed the Palmer Black IPA...with a twist. I pitched the same Voss Kviek yeast. It is cold crashing now. Hopefully tastes better than the hydrometer sample did haha.

This is the Saison... I really enjoy this beer.

Saison.jpg

Fermented at 100 degrees F? On purpose, or because that was ambient? I've heard of fermenting warmer for certain styles of beers, but never that high. Not saying it's wrong, just that I haven't heard of it before.

FWIW, I made the same Saison this summer, and loved it. Used a couple of dry yeast packets (forget which type right now, but one of the ones recommended in the kit) and let it ferment at ambient in my basement which was around 68 F, so it probably got somewhat warmer with the fermentation. Also thought it was cloudy , but didn't mind at all. That keg went really fast!

Fermented at 100 degrees F? On purpose, or because that was ambient? I've heard of fermenting warmer for certain styles of beers, but never that high. Not saying it's wrong, just that I haven't heard of it before.

FWIW, I made the same Saison this summer, and loved it. Used a couple of dry yeast packets (forget which type right now, but one of the ones recommended in the kit) and let it ferment at ambient in my basement which was around 68 F, so it probably got somewhat warmer with the fermentation. Also thought it was cloudy , but didn't mind at all. That keg went really fast!

Yep! Finished at 100°. I have done this 3x with this yeast and it's excellent! The yeast bay recommends 90-100° so I pitch at 60° so I can get my hydrometer reading, then set the ferm wrap to mid 80's for 24 hours, then bump up every 12 hours until at 100 degrees.

https://www.theyeastbay.com/brewers-yeast-products/sigmunds-voss-kveik

I just kicked the keg last night, but the beer was crystal clear towards the end.

It wasn’t a $20 kit, I think I paid $32, but opened my first Hop Hammer last night. I haven’t had Pliny the Elder so no comparison, but it turned out great. Hopefully the other Palmer kits I have turn out that well.

It wasn’t a $20 kit, I think I paid $32, but opened my first Hop Hammer last night. I haven’t had Pliny the Elder so no comparison, but it turned out great. Hopefully the other Palmer kits I have turn out that well.

I've got my hop hammer on tap right now. It's decent but there's an after taste on the back end that I can't place. Does yours have that too?

Back