2 x 2 16 gauge - OK for 15+ gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on getting to your first firing! :mug:

If you're seeing flames inside the venturi tubes the air/fuel mix at the orifice/air shutter is way lean.
I run my bg14s with the stock propane orifice and the air shutter set at 50% open.
The flame quality is excellent - basically a huge kitchen gas range pattern, blue with tiny yellow tips and not lifting off the nozzles. Very quiet, too.
The only time there's "fire" inside a venturi is after I've turned off the gas - it goes lean inside then ignites with a "pop".

As for the flames sprouting all about, if you're seeing yellow flames licking the pots there's something amiss there, too. Maybe you could link a video of the burners in action. My burner regs top out at 10 psi but I doubt I've ever used half that - I've marked the regulator knobs for where the flames start to roll out to "we're wasting gas now" proportions and stay inside that...

[edit] Forgot about the ignition thing: consider installing one of these spark igniters. I have one mounted under the upper front rail on my single tier that sparks both BK and HLT burners simultaneously. Uses one AA battery that lasts for at least a year for me.

I mounted the electrodes by drilling and tapping one hole in the underside of each burner, with the electrode tips positioned pretty darned close to a burner flame tip. Really wasn't hard to do and I have to say I don't miss the drama and singed arm hairs :D

I should add I ran the ignitor wires through some brake tubing tacked to the frame. Probably overkill but that's kinda my thing ;)

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, thanks trippr, I'll pull the O2 back and see what happens. My regulator is 30 psi, so maybe that's the problem? I have it goosed and control only by the ball valves....already a lousy means of controlling, and that gas is coming out screaming from the tank...dial the reg down?

I love your ignitor idea (on my cart, of course!) but I once again have to admit my ineptitude mechanically....I'm having a hard envisioning how you are doing it. But then I've just seen the image on Amazon, which, I think, doesn't show the electrode. You basically have the ignitor and then run an electrode out the burners - where you'd drilled a small hole underneath, and placed the electrode ("spark") so that it's positioned right by a flame tip. You protected the wire with a brake tube. Is this right?

Thanks again buddy. Much help.

Call it whatever you like, I call it a nice rig! Thanks for showing us.

Yes, globe valves will give much better control, especially when first lighting off. Have you considered electric ignition? Before I gave up on gas, I bought a battery operated spark lighter for a gas grill, but never got around to installing it, so I can't vouch for it from experience.

I've had fires in the mixing area before as well. I covered the air inlets with a gloved hand and they went out. I don't think it is dangerous, because the gas ahead of the orifice can't burn account of no oxygen. But it ain't right, that's for sure.

Couldn't have done it without you and other compadres, ancient. Thanks so much for everything. On the ignition, hahah, yep, giving it a much closer look as I treasure what little hair I have left. Trippr's seems a cool solution.

Thanks on the info re: the tube fires. I'll try pulling the reg back and enriching the mix per trippr's suggestion, and report back.

This one is easy - I took a crapton of build pics as my stand evolved, so these come straight out of that archive.
Two of the three igniters come with a metal stand-off thingie, I drilled and tapped a mounting screw hole on the under-side of each burner.

igniter_01.jpg

This image shows how I positioned the electrode tip. It wants to be right at the top of a cast bump and near the drilled hole.
I think there's between 1/16 and 1/8" gap.

igniter_02.jpg

The Spousal Unit is calling dinner. If I find a pic of the brake line thing I'll post later...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Ok, I found a couple of pics that'll give an idea on the brake line spark wire thing.
This shot shows the tubing dropping from the top rail height to just under the windscreens near the venturi horns.
Each leg was tacked to the underside of the cross members then to the underside of the front rail to the spark generator.
I used a guitar string to fish the wires through the steel brake tubing.

P9030038.JPG

You can just make out the end of the tubing snaking under the venturi horn and the spark wire continuing to the igniter.

P9030048.JPG

Ultimately, the brake line was to secure the wire and protect it from being snagged by whatever.
It's not trying to defeat heat because there really isn't any heat below the burner level, and steel tubing would kinda suck for that purpose anyway...

Cheers!

Dang Son, Is that Betty I see? I’m in love on Valentines Day. Tripper has the BA rig. Mine leans toward Betty’s relative. I think she is a beauty.

You're too kind, buddy. The fact I took the photo from this distance and on an overcast day. Er, uh....she's got a GREAT personality.

Back