2 week old barleywine flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asheler

Reaction score
I am new to home brewing and I picked a barleywine for my first project, which I realize probably wasn't the best choice. But, I did have some help from my fairly experienced home brewing in-laws. However, they live some distance away so they can't taste the beer right now to let me know if it's normal.

With a few substitutions, we are following this recipe: http://byo.com/stories/recipeindex/...nd-imperial-stout/1881-gold-finger-barleywine

We brewed 2 weeks ago and after pitching the yeast, primary fermentation kicked in by the following morning. It continued bubbling away and I checked the gravity a week later. It was down from 1.094 to 1.028. I tasted the sample and it was good, a little sweet still but good. I let it go for another week in the primary and it continued to bubble but gradually slowed. I checked the gravity today and it's at 1.020. The sample smelled good and tasted good up front, but then I was hit with an extremely bitter finish that left a strong residual bitterness in my mouth that was hard to shake. It should not be an overly hoppy beer and the bitterness was very subtle a week ago. Also, the beer has darkened some over the last week. My question is if this bitter finish will likely mellow over time? I plan to rack it to secondary tomorrow and let it age for another month, at least, before bottling. I'm hoping this is normal for a young barley-wine?

Thanks

So, I racked this beer to secondary and tasted it again. The bitterness was still there, but it had mellowed considerably already. There was still an alcohol warmness and bite to it though, but I'm hoping it's going to turn out nicely with aging. I'll leave it alone for a couple more weeks and then start tasting it periodically to see if it's ready to bottle.

Yeah, you probably picked the worst style for a newbie, this one is going to require lots of patience.

You need to start thinking of this barleywine's flavor in terms of 6-8 months, not 2 weeks. Pretty much all of the characteristics you are sensing now will change, for the better, with proper aging.

Thanks for the feedback!

I was a bit panicked that I had an infection when that overwhelming bitterness kicked in, but I couldn't believe what a difference even a day made when I racked it and pulled a new sample that was better. We're going to start a different batch this weekend... Something a little less complicated and faster I'm thinking. We got a list of recipes from the local brewing supply for first timers so I think we might go with one of those. I love a good barley wine though! :)

Yeah, you probably picked the worst style for a newbie, this one is going to require lots of patience.

You need to start thinking of this barleywine's flavor in terms of 6-8 months, not 2 weeks. Pretty much all of the characteristics you are sensing now will change, for the better, with proper aging.

+1
Forget about that sucker for at least 6 months.

I wouldn't even bother tasting that beer for months. The more of it you stick in a dark closet and forget about, the better off you are.

Back