2 malt extracts for kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GayleHomebrew

Reaction score
Thinking about doing a kolsch with 2 malts. 3lb Gold and 3lb pilsner malt extract. It sounds good in my head. Followed by 0.25ish pounds of a wheat dried malt and then hops, yadda yadda. Thoughts as far as the 2 malts for a kolsch style?

I recently did a Brewers Best Kolsch kit and really liked it. I saw your post hear and I'm wondering how yours turned out??

Check the ingredients. Gold probably has some caramel malts in it which doesn't fit the style. Maybe try a base of Pilsner plus a Munich extract or something like NB's Maris Otter extract. A blend of different base malts can add complexity. I've heard differing arguments on wheat as to whether true to style or not. It's your brew, so don't let style definitions bound you too much.

I recently did a Brewers Best Kolsch kit and really liked it. I saw your post hear and I'm wondering how yours turned out??

Havent brewed it yet. Still working on it but i'll be brewing it after christmas.

I know wheat isnt true to the style, but we'll how it turns out. I could always remove it if i think it would benefit

The Brewers best kit has 3.3 lb. Pilsen LME and 2.0 lb. Wheat DME. It's turned out to be one of my favorites.

Back