Malt Extract + Maltose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wellgunde

Reaction score
hello everyone! I'm a head brewer and recently, just got a client that wants a extremally cheap comercial beer, which means I have to use malt extract and maltose. I'm brewing a 20L batch first, but I need to know actually how to make it last longer. won't say I want it to taste good 'cuz it probably won't. HAHAH anyways
I never used malt extact before. so, as I'm brewing it for a large scale, I can only think that I'll need some chemical assistence to give if a long shelf life.
can anyone help me?
thank you so much! =)

cheers from Brazil!

Your english is great! But there's a Brasil-specific sub-forum you might get better assistance from (I assume you'd find more local-to-Brasil knowledge about ingredient costs).

Malt extract definitely costs MORE than the equivalent amount of malted grain, at least here in the US. But using it (the extract) relieves you of the time and effort needed to mill the grain and mash it. I don't know anything about large scale brewing, nor use of any preservative other than what is naturally provided by hops.

I never used malt extact before. so, as I'm brewing it for a large scale, I can only think that I'll need some chemical assistence to give if a long shelf life.
You want to extend the shelf life of the malt extract or of the finished beer? Dry malt extract has a longer shelf life than liquid (though generally costs a bit more).

I take it that maltose is a product you can get easily. Is that cheaper than malt extract? A search turns up a product used in Chinese cooking with one saying it is made with rice. It seems like it would work in a beer.

I have generally found that a base of 90% Malt Extract and 10% Table Sugar works well. Malt Extract tends to be a bit darker and less fermentable than the same all-grain, so the sugar helps to lighten up the color and boost the fermentability of extract. Sugar is also a lot cheaper than extract and has a long shelf life.

Latest posts

Back