Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschoeffler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve just tapped my take on this style for the first time and am thinking about version #2. This was 100% chevalier malt OG 1.097, FG 1.023. Lots of malt and marmalade with this BUT I want more. Mostly color with some additional alcohol without becoming too sweet. Coming from a belgian background, my thought is to add some sugar, but I want to stick with traditional English ingredients.
Lyle’s
Treacle
What say you?

Many English breweries used invert sugar. Invert #1 when they wanted to keep the color pale such as Tennent's Gold Label No. 1 Sparkling Barley Wine or invert #3 for more color such as in Truman's Stock No. 1 Burton Barley Wine.

Invert is quite easy to make yet time consuming. However you can buy it now in the US by looking for Bekcer's Inverted Sugars. I've used both, homemade and Becker's. I prefer homemade however because it is cheaper to make.

If you make your own I recommend using Ron Pattinson's recipe which is similar to the one that used to be published on the defunct unholymess.com website... and if I remember correctly they credited Ron for their recipe. It is taken from his book The Homebrewers Guide to Vintage Beer.

You will need:

- raw cane Sugar (not table sugar)
- citric Acid
- water
- a candy thermometer
- a saucepan

The colors you are aiming for are:

- No. 1, 12-16 SRM
- No. 2, 30 - 35 SRM
- No. 3, 60 - 70 SRM
- No. 4, 275 - 325 SRM

This is what you do:

- For each pound (455g) of sugar you use, bring 1 pint (473ml) of water to a boil.
- Turn on the heat and add the sugar slowly, dissolving it.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon (1g) of citric acid per pound of sugar.
- Turn on the heat and set the alarm on the candy thermometer to 230°F (110°C).
- Stir frequently while it starts to simmer.
- When the temperature hits 230°F (110°C) reset the alarm for 240°F (115.6°C).
- Heat slowly until the temperature gets to 240°F (115.6°C).
- Lower the heat to keep at 240°F - 250°F (115.6° - 121.1°C).
- For No. 1 maintain the heat for 20 - 30 minutes.
- For No. 2 maintain the heat for 90 - 120 minutes.
- For No. 3 maintain the heat for 150-210 minutes.
- For No. 4 maintain the heat for 240 - 300 minutes.
I have made it with a simple candy thermometer but it requires constant attention and adjustment of the heat to keep the syrup between the required temperatures. An easier way that I have found is to use a dutch oven cook pot and use the oven set to 240°F - 250°F (115.6°C - 121.1°C).

For more insight on Barley Wine, it's history and recipes converted from historic brewers logs, like the two I mentioned above, dive into Shut up about Barclay Perkins There is a site search at the top left of the site as well as an extensive keyword listing near the bottom.

In an old post I make reference to a barleywine made by a brewer at Goose Island at the time (Jim Cibak, for some years now the head brewer at Revolution in Chicago), and found it magnificent. He used Munich to lend maltiness, without the cloying sweetness. It's not traditional, but the result was fantastic.

Version #2 will have 10% invert…#2 or #3?
I want just a little darker color.

Attachments

• IMG_1320.jpeg
    IMG_1320.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back