2 day cold crash before bottling- bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catie0501

Reaction score
Hey all! I have this empty fridge and I was thinking about cold crashing two 2.5 gallon batches (one is a dubbel, and one is a blonde) before bottling.

The batches have been in the primary for about 10 days I've had a steady hydrometer reading for 3 days at 1.010-1.009 so I think it's done fermenting.

I am not planning on pitching more yeast at bottling so is this mini crash a bad idea?

If after the crash if I rack to a bottling bucket and let it warm to room temp would this "re-activate" my yeast?

Thoughts?

Thanks for any advice or help!!!

That is exactly what I do before I bottle, cold crash for 2 days then bottle. I don't wait for it to warm up at all before I bottle though. No problems with carbonation, I just leave the bottles at room temp and they are carbed up in a few weeks. Cold crashing has really seemed to help the clarity of my beers by a fair bit.

Back