1st keg... no fridge... on ice... all foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mechedd

Reaction score
I carbonated my first keg at room temp,72, at 28 psi for 5 days. I put it in an ice bucket today and after 4 hours tried dispensing at 5 psi... it was all foam except for about 1/4 inch. I took the temp and it was still 60ish F. i put 20 psi back in the keg and I am going to wait until morning to try dispensing again. Will everything be fine? Any suggestions on what I should do? Why is it all foam? temp, over carbonation?

thanks

mechedd

Sounds like maybe overcarbed. Hoow long is the beer line? Did you bleed off the pressure from the keg when you lowered the psi? And what type of beer?

The dispensing line is 4 feet, and I did bleed the pressure off before dispensing. It is a red ale, the LHBS calls it Whack-a-mole Red Summer Ale.

I don't have a fridge either. I kegged a brew in recently and had all foam. I keggeed during the winter and put it on the deck, nice head. I am bottling until I get a fridge or until winter rolls around.

4 feet is pretty short. What is your serving pressure?

BTW, here is a handy carbonation pressure/temp chart to help. Since you did 72 degrees at just 5 days, even though the chart doesn't go that high you are likely still far undercarbonated so it's probably an issue with line length and serving pressure if you're getting a lot of foam: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

i tried 5 psi dispensing pressure. if dispensing pressure is the problem, what will stop the foam? increasing or decreasing?

Less pressure or greater line length will decrease foam. Also, what is your beer temp right now? Can you pour enough to measure it? If it's just sitting on ice it may also be too warm which can greatly enhance foaming. The colder the beer, the better it can absorb CO2, so warm beer wants to release that gas much easier.

Whats your line ID size? Are your beer lines in ice, or some way of getting cooled down as well? Warm beer lines will contribute to foam as well.

Back