1st batch, fermented too cold? ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrychris109

Reaction score
1st time brewer here, could use any help i can get. i brewed my first batch, ponderosa porter 36 hours ago. beer was left in basement to ferment, didn't realize until i just checked it that basement is only 53 degrees right now. ingredient packet instructions suggested fermentation temp of 60-70 degrees. very few to no bubbles in airlock. i have since moved the ferment bucket to a warmer location. is the beer ruined? is there anything else i should do? my equipment includes everything from the brewers best starter kit. thanks and once again any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

The type of yeast you used would be helpful to know. Also I'll let you know before 50 other people do. Airlock activity is not a good indicator of fermentation. My second batch I saw no airlock activity. I thought I killed my yeast somehow, but when I went to add more yeast I realized I had not put the lid on well enough. This is just one of many reasons why you might not see airlock activity.

I'd give the wort a day or so at the warmer temps and check your gravity.

i really can't say for certain, i have since thrown the yeast packet out, but it was the dry yeast packet that was included with the other ingredients. there were also specific instructions not hydrate this yeast, just to add it dry and stir in. One other concern i have is that i may have possibly cooled the wort too much before adding the yeast? instructions said cool with ice bath until pot is warm to touch but not hot. may have gotten a little carried away and let pot get too cold. prob wasn't real warm, maybe closer to room temp? never thought to check temp :drunk: should this be something i should be worried about too?

Where did you get the kit? Was it a specific brand?

Chances are your yeast is fine, it's just a little dormant and slow working currently.

Cold temps can inhibit the yeast from becoming active. It won't ruin the beer or cause any problems other than you may need to re-pitch if you warm it up and it doesn't kick off.

Warm it up to 65-68 and give it a day. Take a hydro reading if you still don't see any activity. If the SG is still at OG then get a tube of yeast from a homebrew supply store and pitch it in. Everything will be fine if you can keep the temp up in the proper range.

If you think about it, when you buy yeast in bulk, you leave it in the fridge (~45 degrees) for as long as you want. You didn't ruin the beer, you probably just slowed the process. You already moved the beer to a warmer temp, so you will be fine

As Lakewood said, cold temps make the yeast go dormant, not die. High temps (90+) can kill the yeast, but moving your fermenter to a warmer place will be just fine.

thanks to all for the help. it is now nearly 72 hours into fermentation and things seem to be moving along just fine. was just a little worried because once again this is my first batch but thanks again. cheers!:mug:

Back