1st batch done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BronxFireGuy

Reaction score
So today I brewed my first beer from the ingredient kit that came with my starter setup. I enjoyed it immensely and can't wait to try it and to try another batch.

A couple of things I read, and then had to relearn because I usually have to learn the hard way. One of which is making sure you have a tub big enough to fit your kettle. If you think it will fit, check BEFORE the wort is boiling.

Also keep everything you are going to use in some sort of order. It didn't cause me any problems, but it would have made life easier.

Now having actually been hands on I have a bit easier of a time understanding some of the stuff I read on here, so maybe for those other first timers take that into consideration.

And now my questions.

In my haste, I brewed my batch not realizing I won't be in town in 7 days to transfer to my secondary. Will leaving the beer in the primary for an extra day or two have a major effect on it?

I also did not have a thermometer, so I followed the instructions and hope that between the ice bath and the cold water used to top off brought it down enough. My OG was 1.048, according to the website it should have been 1.051. Could this have been from the temperature not being cool enough?

I'm open to all suggestions and comments, even the ones like "are you crazy not using a thermometer??!?! You could die!!" it's the only way I learn.

Thanks all. Can't wait for the next batch. (which will have a thermometer)

"In my haste, I brewed my batch not realizing I won't be in town in 7 days to transfer to my secondary. Will leaving the beer in the primary for an extra day or two have a major effect on it?"

I always leave mine in primary for a month, and don't use a secondary. You'll probably hear that a lot in this thread.

"Could this have been from the temperature not being cool enough?"

temperature effects gravity readings, yeah.

My first batch I massively (accidentally) overprimed with sugar as I bottled, and even now a few months later it pours as foam -- but, (but) if I shake out a lot of the carbonation its a damn good stout. Time fixes a lot of things in homebrew. Get the basics down (which is pretty much sterilization and temperature control) and it's amazingly fun.

Yea, I'd let it sit for 3-4 weeks or so in primary and skip secondary. Off all the stuff I've learned, or bought in the hopes of making good beer, that's probably the best.

+1 for don't move it unless you are doing so for a specific reason (ie harvesting/washing yeast for the next brew), even then let it go AT LEAST two weeks (3-4 is better).

Yes temp affects gravity readings. Also, if you used topoff water it is pretty hard to mix and that might do it as well. Personally, I wouldn't stress over it. It is a relatively small difference that could be attributed to a number of small factors, not the least of which is that those damn things are hard to read (for me at least)! What I'd be more concerned with is...

Get that thermometer! :) To me, it is just as important as a heat source or brew kettle (not specific kind of kettle, just that you have one) to making beer. You can shortcut a bunch of stuff if you don't want to buy an a$$load of equipment, but a thermometer shouldn't be one of them.

Latest posts

Back