16 hours and no krausen on starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtybasementbrew

Reaction score
Denny's favorite 1450 and no sign of fermentation. Do I just keep it on and wait or did I miss it. There is no sediment on sides of flask either ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396109719.424480.jpg

Dirty B.

You could have missed, wait and see if it flocs in the next 8 hours or so.

You could have missed, wait and see if it flocs in the next 8 hours or so.

Thanks Queequeg, I always used WL yeasts and this is my first smack pack. I didn't let the package swell. I pitched it about an hours after I broke the nutrient package. Will this make a diff?

Dirty B.

Thanks Queequeg, I always used WL yeasts and this is my first smack pack. I didn't let the package swell. I pitched it about an hours after I broke the nutrient package. Will this make a diff?

Dirty B.

Give it time it will come around....You actually dont need a starter with the slap packs these days but you should be OK

It looks perfectly normal to me. I often get no krausen when using my stirplate. Not letting the Smackpack swell is fine. I usually often open the pack pour the yeast in and n the nutrient without "smacking" at all. 18-24 hours later I either pitch the whole thing or chill to decant the liquid, depending on the size of the starter.

I find each yeast is a little different in the way they ferment, but there should not be much difference between WL and WY.

I don't always get krausen with my starters. From the pic it actually looks like it is working (the colour and what appears to be co2 bubbles around the edge). Did the colour change? If you shake it does it foam a little?

It looks perfectly normal to me. I often get no krausen when using my stirplate. Not letting the Smackpack swell is fine. I usually often open the pack pour the yeast in and n the nutrient without "smacking" at all. 18-24 hours later I either pitch the whole thing or chill to decant the liquid, depending on the size of the starter.

I find each yeast is a little different in the way they ferment, but there should not be much difference between WL and WY.

Thanks, I'm gonna decant and step it to make three starters. Keep one and pitch the other two. Not a big fan of cleaning used yeast off of batches. As long as this looks ok I appreciate the fed back.

Dirty B.

I don't always get krausen with my starters. From the pic it actually looks like it is working (the colour and what appears to be co2 bubbles around the edge). Did the colour change? If you shake it does it foam a little?
I'm going to shake it now. All my WL starters formed some krausen so I was just a bit worried. Thanks

Dirty B.

Just shook it around and nothing, just a thick milky colored wort. Hope time takes care of it

Dirty B.

Just shook it around and nothing, just a thick milky colored wort. Hope time takes care of it

Dirty B.

I just did a smack pack of the wyeast Belgian Ardennes and was in a similar situation. I gave it 48 hours then said screw it and threw it in the fridge. Had a nice sediment layer 6 hrs later and then I decanted and threw in a little warm wort to wake er up when I brewed. Took off like a rocket. Some of those smack packs just take a little more time.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It looks perfectly fine to me. Especially with the colour changing like it has. It is likely just slow. I recently had WLP820 take 48 hours to even budge the OG of the starter and another 48 hours to ferment it through.

RDAHAHB!

Yeah the color change is the suspended yeast. Also the Krausen appearing is dependant on the speed of the stirplate, if it slow your get a small one around the edges, if it fast it just gets mixed in before it can gather.

Back