15cf Keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gr33n

Reaction score
I bought a 15cf Frigidaire freezer off craigslist a few months ago and have been waiting to get the funds to make it into a keezer. Can't wait any longer so I'm going to do it in stages. Eventually it will be a 6 tap (one stout) cabinet with bottle cap top and built in drip tray but that's a few months down the road. For the time being I'm just going to draft 2 kegs. I don't want to drill into the freezer so I'm making a collar and following Quaffer's and Coastarine's builds:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/converting-frigidaire-7-2-cu-ft-chest-freezer-162225/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-collar-coastarine-way-99753/

although mine won't look as nice. This is just temporary until I can afford to make a nicer setup.

Does anyone have an opinion on this kit from Kegco?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036V8QY2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I also want to be able to connect to corny kegs so I'm getting these couplers as well:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SLT0G6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Since I will be drafting different style beers, will I need to set different pressures for them? Or does the standard 10-12psi on 5' of 3/16 hose work for most styles? It looks like the double regulator in the kit can only set one pressure for both lines. How necessary is it to be able to adjust pressures for various styles?

I'm still undecided on temperature control unit. Anyone have good experience with particular ones?

Since I don't want to drill into the freezer at all, what would be a good way to attach the collar to the freezer? Liquid nails may work but is there any other way or would the weight of the lid/collar be enough to keep it in place?

Hello all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just quickly replying, I'd go with longer beer line. Mine is 9ft and it pours a little too much foam. There is a beer line calculator out there somewhere. Also, if I had to do it over again I'd really like a dual hinge collar. That way for opening up the lid I could quickly adjust pressure for burst carbed kegs. Personally, I don't serve at different pressures although that is technically the best way. I just wasn't ready to drop that kind of coin and will deal with my wheats having too much head.

I think this area of discussion is a personal choice based on funds (IMO). However the beer line is a different issue. It is cheap, I'd go long and cut as needed.

For what it is worth, keep an eye on Craigslist. I set up an alert on my phone for random stuff, and by it I snagged a 20# tank (filled) for 10 bucks.

Yeah, good idea to go ahead and go longer on the lines. I'll just buy in bulk since there will be more taps in the future. Thanks for the input. Dual hinge collar? Haven't seen one of those yet. I'll look into that.

Mounting the regulator to the back of the freezer is another option. IMO it's easier to adjust that way. I would check CL and the for sale forum for cheaper components instead of buying any kit.

I will take your advice and mount the reg/tank on the back.

Found a 20lb tank on CL for $90, certification up to date. Not sure if aluminum or steel but don't care. Is that a good price?

Definitely go with a 20 pounder and keep checking CL and e-bay for better deals than that.

Pretty good price. Check with your co2 place to see if they fill or only exchange tanks. May help in figuring out what you need (aka pick up cheap). For example in my area they only exchange and 7 lb tanks are off the table for me, which stinks because for whatever reason they abound on CL.

I like that deal from Amazon, everybody needs a 5lb tank. I have three 20's and love the light portable 5 pounder. Buy the kit, all those little pieces cost a lot of money. And I love sanke taps, they are built like tanks. I will only be using sanke kegs soon.

Update on the build: Just ordered 2 Kegco beer faucets and an STC-1000 temp controller from Amazon. Got a manifold, regulator, gas lines, and air-in ball locks from enderdsus7 here on HBT :mug:. Beer line and beer-out ball locks are on the way. Now I just need the co2 tank and I'm ready to tap (when all the parts get here of course)! :rockin: This weekend I'm going to follow the Coastarine thread below and will hopefully have the freezer (soon to be keezer) ready for the GSP - Hendricks fight next Saturday. Pretty stoked, hope everything gets here by next Friday. Will post pictures this weekend.

Thanks for the nice collar thread Coastarine!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-collar-coastarine-way-99753/

Got some work done this weekend. Got the materials to add a collar and knocked that out. Before I get into, I'm not trying to make this look amazing. I just want the collar because I didn't want to drill into the freezer at all. I'm going to be making a coffin in the near future so this will all be hidden. Just want to get it ready for the GSP/Hendricks fight this weekend.

Took the lid off and held the latches up with allen wrenches through the pin holes. Got 16' of 2" X 6" treated wood and cut two 1" holes for my faucets and a hole in the back for the air lines. Thinking of a way to block the air line hole so no cold air gets lost. For now I'm thinking a rubber grommet, any ideas?

Cut them to length and then used liquid nails and three 2" screws to fasten them together.

Put door seal strip around the top of the freezer to get a nice seal.

20131109_164248.jpg

20131109_135438.jpg

20131109_151324.jpg

20131109_163717.jpg

20131109_153106.jpg

Next I put the collar on the freezer and added a nice line of silicone underneath for even more insulation. Got some styrofoam and used liquid nails to adhere it to the inside of the collar.

I was keeping this on a budget and used a jigsaw that I got for $5 from a pawn shop (not the best way but it worked) to cut the wood.

20131109_152040.jpg

20131109_183236.jpg

20131109_193311.jpg

20131109_194828.jpg

I attached the lid to the collar with some simple hinges from Lowe's. It works pretty well, I just need to make something to hold the lid up when putting in kegs instead of using a wall.

There is one cord attached to the lid that is pretty taut that's kind of bothering me. I'm not sure what this cord is but I believe it's the light on the front of the lid?? When the thermostat comes in I'm going to see if I can't disconnect it.

That was my Saturday!

20131109_200713.jpg

20131109_200719.jpg

20131109_195330.jpg

Ordered parts this weekend and they came in today! Got my 20 # co2 tank (Thanks Scott!!!), faucets, sanke D couplers, and beer line connectors. :rockin: Tomorrow I'm going to exchange the tank and grab a keg or two. STC-1000 thermostat should be here by Thursday. Until then, I'm going to get everything else ready.

I have read a few different posts and looked up the "beer line equation" and ended up needing a 5' beer line. This seems short for me but I'm new at this. The keg to faucet height is 10". Will run ~12 psi for the kegs, does 5' still sound correct? I will probably cut 7' first and see how that works.

20131112_172825.jpg

20131112_172638.jpg

20131112_174759.jpg

Just taped the first two kegs! I'm using a used kegconnection regulator with manifold and everything else is new. Unfortunately I have to use 3/16" ID gas line and beer line (temporarily, I didn't want to wait until next week to drink these kegs). I have about 7' of beer line and 2-3' of gas line. The gas lines are really hard and obviously are filled with gas.

Now for the issue, my regulator is reading 0 psi. I just exchanged my 20# tank today so I know it has gas in it. When I screw in/out the screw on the regulator the needle doesn't change at all. Could this be due to my beer line being too long?

20131115_235106.jpg

20131115_233916.jpg

Don't forget the washer that goes inbetween the tank and gauge. Make sure to check for leaks. It looks great. I want one that fits a 1/2 BBL sanke.

Back