120 ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattvig

Reaction score
I want to make a stronger beer with great flavor, the 120 ipa is hopped every 30 minutes correct? How much hops do you add each time and you have to add aromatic, flavor, and another kind as well? How to decide which to pick and when to add I have no idea. Also, is the fermentation different with higher alcohol beers? And do you have to add different kinds of malts or priming sugars and if you do, more or less of each than normal? Hopefully this isn't too confusing for anyone, let me know. Thanks in advance!

120 minute clone is not an easy beer to make. try a 60 or 90 minute clone...

If you are talking about Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA, it is hopped continuously for 120 minutes. There are some recipes around here and they explain the continuous hopping pretty well. Basically, you will have to throw in hop additions every few minutes for the continuous hopping. It's a very time consuming recipe,so not sure how much brewing experience you have, but may want to try something not so labor intensive.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dogfish-head-60-minute-clone-ag-extract-25709/ here is a link to a recipe for the 60 minute IPA. Much easier imo.

Really? A year to drink? Damn, yea I'm looking for a 2 month beginning to end brew at the most. Thanks for all the tips and links!

I am also wondering if there is a way to do a 60 or 90 minute ipa but allowing the IBU to stay around 25-35? I'm assuming this is virtually impossible with constant hopping?

I am also wondering if there is a way to do a 60 or 90 minute ipa but allowing the IBU to stay around 25-35? I'm assuming this is virtually impossible with constant hopping?

Sounds like you want a beer with lots of hop aroma/flavor but not a ton of hop-derived bitterness. The key to this is to add a lot of late hop additions (under 20 minutes). This is sometimes called "hopbursting".

If this is what you want, don't try to make a DFH 60 or 90 minute clone, because it won't give you want you want. Instead make a beer with a small bittering addition at 60 minutes and then a crap ton of hops late.

mattvig said:
Really? A year to drink? Damn, yea I'm looking for a 2 month beginning to end brew at the most. Thanks for all the tips and links!

Try the 60 min clone yooper has on the site. Can't go wrong with that one. Brewed some in January turned out awesome.

My Pale Ale is real light on the bittering charge, and deliciously refreshing and delightfully aromatic. PM me and I'll shoot you my recipe.

Back