12 Beers of Christmas 2019 Edition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not loving that success rate, but if you've still only had those green ones break that's more encouraging. They do seem thinner. Thanks. And regardless of what I go with I'll definitely bag each bottle in case of breaks.

You will like the boxes. They are very nifty. I have the 3-bottle boxes and when I sent the 12BOC beers I just taped two of them together. Yea, don't use SNPA bottles for shipping (I think that is what I used). Dogfish bottles are pretty stout, I think I remember.

You will like the boxes. They are very nifty. I have the 3-bottle boxes and when I sent the 12BOC beers I just taped two of them together. Yea, don't use SNPA bottles for shipping (I think that is what I used). Dogfish bottles are pretty stout, I think I remember.

Yeah, Dogfish bottles are good. Labels even come off easy.

I'm ready to ship whenever...I wasn't sure if we were shipping bulk beer down to someone in SoCal and they were going to set up a meet and swap or what? I forget...anyways, ready whenever :)

I'm ready to ship whenever...I wasn't sure if we were shipping bulk beer down to someone in SoCal and they were going to set up a meet and swap or what? I forget...anyways, ready whenever :)

Unless there is someone in the group that is close enough to meet up with, you'd be shipping to everyone individually. Last year, there were 3 of us that were meeting up on a certain date, so we gave the group the option of sending all of ours in 1 package as long as it got here before our meetup so that we could distribute to each other. In turn we split up our shipments so that we could send fewer, larger packages out.

Someone probably needs to step up and handle the communication for the West Group. Last year @jerbrew did a great job of stepping in. I suppose it could be me this year...

I can handle the West group. Send me your email address and the name and address you want your bottles shipped too, include your phone number and I will put together a list and send it out to everyone via email.

Cheers!

Last edited:
The west coast group is taken care of so I’m going to commandeer the East Coast group for now until @MapleGroveAleworks arrives.

Right now the following members responded they are ready to go:
@TBC @fourfarthing @satph @HopHeavy and his nephew, @Hoppy2bmerry

Still waiting on: @MapleGroveAleworks @wstbrewing @dryboroughbrewing @Stupidsexyflanders @BradleyBrew @Jtk78

Whenever you want you can pm me your address and I’ll compile all of them and send it out the week of Thanksgiving.

I’ll wait another week to see if we hear from the rest. If not I’ll pm all of them.

Last edited:
The west coast group is taken care of so I’m going to commandeer the East Coast group for now until @MapleGroveAleworks arrives.

Still waiting on: @MapleGroveAleworks @wstbrewing @dryboroughbrewing @Stupidsexyflanders @BradleyBrew @Jtk78

Whenever you want you can pm me your address and I’ll compile all of them and send it out the week of Thanksgiving.

I’ll wait another week to see if we here from the rest. If not I’ll pm all of them.

Mine is the same. Let me know if you need a refresh.

Unless there is someone in the group that is close enough to meet up with, you'd be shipping to everyone individually. Last year, there were 3 of us that were meeting up on a certain date, so we gave the group the option of sending all of ours in 1 package as long as it got here before our meetup so that we could distribute to each other. In turn we split up our shipments so that we could send fewer, larger packages

Not sure if we can make it work, but I’m in Costa Mesa (looks like you are somewhere in Orange County. I am out of town for Thanksgiving, but am home for almost all of December if we want to try to make something work.

Not sure if we can make it work, but I’m in Costa Mesa (looks like you are somewhere in Orange County. I am out of town for Thanksgiving, but am home for almost all of December if we want to try to make something work.

Last year we met up at pizza port in San Clemente. I would be in for doing that again. I think we met up the on the weekend after the Thanksgiving weekend (would be 12/7 or 12/8 this year). If that works for you, @jerbrew and any others that can make it, that would work for me.

If anyone in the SoCal area would also like to meet up, let me know.

Also, I live in Orange. But make my way to Costa Mesa 2/3 nights a week... So if no meetup is in order, you and I can definitely combine ours for shipping.

I need to stop drinking my own supply, lol.

Screenshot_20191102-210755.png

I’ll wait another week to see if we hear from the rest. If not I’ll pm all of them.

The Gingerbread Brown for the East is in the fermentation chamber and smells outstanding. I am going to bottle the batch and it should be ready to ship late November/ early December. i will pm you my address.

Fruitcake Old Ale is bottled for the West!

Brewed in January, this one's been aging for a while. Very low carbonation, best enjoyed at a warmer temp just like the old ales of the past. Lots of dried, aged fruit on the nose along with some cinnamon and spice. Taste is a deep mix of fruit and spice. Mouthfeel is thick and rich, very smooth, almost velvety, with a spicy kick at the end. Some esters present, from the second fermentation with the fruit. My recommendation is to pour it cold for yourself, and let it sit 10-20min to warm to nearly room temperature while sitting by a fire. Then enjoy. Overall it a pretty unique beer. Not something I would want year round, but for those cold winter nights by the fire this may just hit the spot.

8rTqg5D.jpg

EuSpRSN.jpg

Last edited:
Fruitcake Old Ale is bottled for the West!

I just want to make sure - we had a total of 9 participants in the West group?? Going by the 1st page? Can anybody confirm this please?

Apparently they could not update the first page because it was too old. All the spots were filled in the West group.
I am collecting the shipping information to send out to everyone. Please check your messages and send me your information.

Can't wait to try your beer!

Apparently they could not update the first page because it was too old. All the spots were filled in the West group.
I am collecting the shipping information to send out to everyone. Please check your messages and send me your information.

Can't wait to try your beer!
Ok - excellent, thanks for the info. Just want to make sure I keep enough to send out

I just bottled this week, now working on labels. Sure not planning on winning any awards in that area. Will be ready to ship after thanksgiving.

And the address you have for me is still good!

Racked the Honey Ginger IPA onto the honey (and ginger) 27 days ago and it's still fermenting that damn honey. Seems like it will never end. SG was 1.015 after primary then ostensibly went up with the addition of the honey. It's back down to 1.016 now, so I hope that means the honey is almost 'gone'.

I thought I was being quite conservative by brewing on 10/7, but looks like I'll be pushing the time. I can't be sending you-all bottle bombs!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I’m not ready to ship, but I am on schedule to get this shipped out to everyone before Xmas.

I have almost completed the shipping information list for the West group. I still need name, address, phone number and email address from @jerbrew and @stansoid. I have sent each a message too with no response so if you happen to have contact info for them please let them know.

Cheers!

I have almost completed the shipping information list for the West group. I still need name, address, phone number and email address from @jerbrew and @stansoid. I have sent each a message too with no response so if you happen to have contact info for them please let them know.

Cheers!

Been MIA but I do still exist. DUE to a move, buying and learning a new system, and poor planning, I was not able to complete the saffron Tripel. I did however, re brew the gingerbread porter I made last year since it was such a hit with friends and family. I know, I should have brewed the Tripel but as I said, poor planning. I brewed this as a nine gallon batch so I have plenty of beer I am willing to bottle up and send as a Christmas beer in this trade instead. Ya'll would just have to be open to getting two gingerbread beers. I'll reach out over the private messages too.

1) Caramel Quadrupel @gromitdj
2) Spiced Cherry Dubbel @Yeroc
3) Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock @bradccook (pending trade completion with @TwistedGray )
4) Juniper Rye Bock @Jmarsh544
5) Fruitcake Old Ale @anotherbeerplease
6) Saffron Tripel @jerbrew
7) Christmas Gruit @stansoid
8) Honey Ginger IPA @jack13
9) Crabapple Lambicky Ale @tochsner
10) Gingerbread Ale @chrisgood1
11) Spiced Bourbon Stout @TwistedGray
12) Abbey Weizen @grampamark

Been MIA but I do still exist. DUE to a move, buying and learning a new system, and poor planning, I was not able to complete the saffron Tripel. I did however, re brew the gingerbread porter I made last year since it was such a hit with friends and family. I know, I should have brewed the Tripel but as I said, poor planning. I brewed this as a nine gallon batch so I have plenty of beer I am willing to bottle up and send as a Christmas beer in this trade instead. Ya'll would just have to be open to getting two gingerbread beers. I'll reach out over the private messages too.

3) Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock @bradccook (pending trade completion with @TwistedGray )

Works for me!

Last year we met up at pizza port in San Clemente. I would be in for doing that again. I think we met up the on the weekend after the Thanksgiving weekend (would be 12/7 or 12/8 this year). If that works for you, @jerbrew and any others that can make it, that would work for me.

If anyone in the SoCal area would also like to meet up, let me know.

Also, I live in Orange. But make my way to Costa Mesa 2/3 nights a week... So if no meetup is in order, you and I can definitely combine ours for shipping.

I am down for this again.

If anyone from the east is in the Chicago land area, southern Wisconsin, northwest Indiana, or southwest Michigan I'd be willing to meet up and exchange as well.

Yep, that's cool.

I am fine with this too. That makes 4 of us. @jerbrew send me your mailing info, phone number and email address. I will add you to the list. Unless others decide differently I will include you in the mailing.

That just leaves @stansold. When I get his info, I will send out the mailing list to your emails.

Cheers!

If so, what say you:
@Jmarsh544
@anotherbeerplease
@Yeroc

Are you guys down to meet in San Clemente for an exchange?

Also, I'd like to invite @Scturo to join us again.

Nice, thanks @gromitdj for the invite. I will definitely try to make it. Unfortunately, I don’t have any home brews right now, but I think I can get some retail that you guys will enjoy, [emoji6] Plus I still owe you some stuff.

So I bought the book. I've been semi-following the thread. I'd like to be involved in the 2020 version but living in Texas, where would I belong?

If so, what say you:
@Jmarsh544
@anotherbeerplease
@Yeroc

Are you guys down to meet in San Clemente for an exchange?

Also, I'd like to invite @Scturo to join us again.

I'm not sure if I can make it to San Clemente on 12/7 or 12/8. I'll see what's possible and let you know as soon as I can. Otherwise I'll mail my beers. Sorry, lots of family stuff on the weekends between Thanksgiving and Christmas, as well as some work.

Back