10 gallon Ebiab possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicahB

Reaction score
So I've been mulling over wether I want to stick with my original 5 gallon ebiab keggle setup plan or move to a traditional three vessel electric setup. I most often brew 5 gallon batches, but there are a few recipes that I wish I had more of in the pipeline to last longer, which is where 10 gallons would be nice. If the right size kettle were selected is it possible to do 5 and 10 gallon ebiab batches? I have a shop with 240v already ran and plenty of ceiling trusses for my pulley hoist...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

And you don't have any issues recirculating or heating that much volume? My main concern was needing a large enough pot to accommodate the grain bill and water for 10 gallon batches and not have it be ridiculously oversized for 5 gallon batches...

I can do 5 and 10 gallon batches in my 15 gallon pot.

My keggle is 15.5 and I have a hard time seeing how I can fit the 10+ gallon preboil volume and the grain bill in there, unless you're sparging to top up to your preboil volume?

You can do a full volume mash on the 10G batches depending on how big a beer it is. I think like 1.060 or lower I can do, anything higher than that I will have to top up after the mash with a sparge of sorts. I normally do 5G batches but have done 10G successfully as well. My 240v 5500w element has no problems bringing 12+ gallons to a boil.

You can do a full volume mash on the 10G batches depending on how big a beer it is. I think like 1.060 or lower I can do, anything higher than that I will have to top up after the mash with a sparge of sorts. I normally do 5G batches but have done 10G successfully as well. My 240v 5500w element has no problems bringing 12+ gallons to a boil.

That's just what I wanted to know. I tried searching and couldn't find anything on a 10 gal ebiab setup and wanted to make sure my keggle conversion would work, thanks mate!

I BIAB in a 15 gallon pot, and cannot truly brew a no-sparge, ten gallon batch unless it is fairly low gravity.

I use my 25 gallon kettle for 10 gallon batches. That way no worries on gravity. I don't like brewing low ABV beers however.

25 gallon kettle is the way to go for the greatest flexibility. I do mostly moderate Og 10 gallon batches but also smaller 5 gallon batches, both work fine, a 10 gallon imperial stout pushes the volume to the top.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yup, if you want to do true BIAB (no sparge), which is the whole point for me, then a larger OG 10 gallon batch will fill even a 25 gallon kettle to the brim. At that point, you have to have some kind of mechanical assistance to lift the bag however. I did 15 gallons of 1.125 in my 25 gallon, but had to supplement 5 gallons with LME.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back