10 gallon batch, making two beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerdanger

Reaction score
My kegerator is set up for two cornys, but I have yet to have one corny make it to the point where I can have a second in there, keep drinking them too fast! So I had a thought, could I do a simple base recipe, use two different yeasts and possibly dry hop to achieve two beers in a 10gallon batch? Or should I just schedule brew days closer together?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

split batch? sure, why not? people do it all the time

if you search enough, you could probably find write-ups by people who've split a 10-gallon batch into 10 FVs to try 10 different things in each one

because SCIENCE!

My kegerator is set up for two cornys, but I have yet to have one corny make it to the point where I can have a second in there, keep drinking them too fast! So I had a thought, could I do a simple base recipe, use two different yeasts and possibly dry hop to achieve two beers in a 10gallon batch? Or should I just schedule brew days closer together?

This is pretty much my SOP now. 10 gallon batches are 100% beer, but maybe 25% more work. 5 Gallon batches are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Instead of creating a simple base recipe, I tend to focus on one beer and get creative with the second. You can vary yeasts, drop hops, and even fermentation temps and schedules.

I recently been brewing once every two weeks and kegging. My fermenters were full or I would have brewed more often. Now my fermenter are opening up, so I'am going to start brewing every week. My goal is to get most of my twenty corny kegs filled and have a good pipeline to get me through the smoldering summer months were I don't care to be hovering around a hot brew kettle. However, it won't be that long till I will start to think about some fall October fest style beers. But I will have a good pipe line stacked up and can throw in some specialty seasonal beers.

But to answer your other question, you can brew a ten gallon batch and split it and play with different yeasts, and dry hopping etc, that what makes it so much fun and interesting. Who knows you may stumble onto your new favorite brew!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

My procedure is now to brew 15 gallons and split 3 ways.

My last brew was an IPA that I intended to dry hop with 3 different hops (that I have never used before) to see what I prefer.

The batch before had 3 different yeasts and 2 had different dry hops.

This does give some variety but since I have three taps on the keezer I pretty much wind up having version of the same beer on all 3 taps. I'd prefer to have three different beers but I like my beers fresh and I don't want to brew that often.

I've done double brew days and can knock out a second beer in half the time... but it's still a longer day.

I've started doing a 10 gallon mash, then splitting into two boil kettles and hopping differently. The same mash can produce vastly different beers that way.

One batch Pilsner
One batch Saison

Add sugar to the saison if you want.

Ferm chamber for the pilsner. Ferment the Saison warm with 3711

I'm thinking 2 row and saaz?

PartiGyle 1st runnings go to one kettle to make a pale beer maybe American or Belgian style.

Then cap the grain bed with dark grain (chocolate or carafa 2) and run off into a second kettle for and English or Irish stout.

This would require two kettles and burners but would give the maximum diversity.

One other option, that I've done before, is to brew 10 gallons and split with another brewer who does 10 gallon batches.

Last year I did a Vienna Rye Lager while a friend did an Imperial Milk Stout, and we each got 5 gallons of each beer. This year we'll do the same, with me brewing a DIPA and him brewing a Session IPA, both based on similar proportion grain bills and hop profiles, but differing in scale.

One batch Pilsner
One batch Saison

Add sugar to the saison if you want.

Ferm chamber for the pilsner. Ferment the Saison warm with 3711

I'm planning that exact split sometime in the next few weeks. BoPils and Saison from the same wort. I'll probably add a pound of table sugar to the Saison.

I split batch most of the time. I only brew 6 gallons at a time but split between 2 3 gallon fermenters. Most of the time I just use different yeasts.

I split my batches in two 6.5 gallon carboys. And yes I think you will find the yeasts offer differences worth exploring. The differences can be radical or subtle depending on your selection.

Here's a thread on split batches: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/increasing-pipeline-divesrity-445579/

You don't have to limit it to dry hops and yeast. You can add different whirlpool hops, steeped specialty grains, sugars, spices, woods, fruits... There a lot of possibilities. If you think of each beer as having a "skeleton" consisting of a grain bill and IBUs, you can flesh out that skeleton almost any way you want.

Back