1 Year in the carboy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncoutroulis

Reaction score
Yeah, I know, bad idea, but anyway...

My brown ale has been in the carboy (primary) since last March. Doesn't look infected from what i can see. Is it worth the time/effort of bottling it? or is there a way to find out if its decent? (taste it, i know, right?)

thanks

Yeah, I know, bad idea, but anyway...

My brown ale has been in the carboy (primary) since last March. Doesn't look infected from what i can see. Is it worth the time/effort of bottling it? or is there a way to find out if its decent? (taste it, i know, right?)

thanks

LOL, sounds like that one got away from you .
Ya, taste it!...I'm curious tho, has it been in a fermentation chamber?, or did it get lost in a closet.
C'mon, spill the details

It will be fine. As long as you haven’t messed with it.

Read some stories from the big guys in home brew.
I remember hearing one of there stories when a guy had left a car boy for a few years. Like 5. Dry airlock.
He said it turned out great.

I my self have left a beer in primary for over a year cause I just kept procrastinating.

So like I said. If you haven’t messed with it, it will be fine.

It could be better then fine, it could be great! I would recommend adding some Safale-33 prior to bottling though, just to make sure there are some active yeast in the beer. Also, English breweries use to keep bitters and ESB for a year so they would have some old stock or stale beer to blend with fresh beer. It added character the beer and u could try doing the same

I vote to dry hop it for at least 3 days before you bottle it, but I'm a hop head. Even though it's a brown ale, I'd still put in 1/4 to a 1/2 ounce. Taste it to see how much (if any) it needs. Any hop aroma you used to have is most likely gone at this point, so the flavor of any late additions you might have done needs to be "freshened up." You should have about 50-75% of the original bitterness left, but there's no easy way to put that back without the use of extracts.

Although I already said it, and so did several others... taste it.

Don't bottle it on blind luck. It'll most likely be good, but if you can affect the outcome in a positive way, don't waste the opportunity.

Back