1 starter 2 batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarod7736

Reaction score
So I brewed BM's Centennial Blond 6 weeks ago, and then brewed a DFH 60 minute clone the next weekend. I made a large (approx 4L) starter with Pacman. I put 1/2 in with the Centennial Blond, and decanted the rest into 2 mason jars and into the fridge for the DFH batch the next weekend. When the Centennial Blond finished & carbed up it had a funny, almost "bready" taste to it. I accounted this to something in the recipe, and that i'd never had it before. But now the DFH clone is kegged, and carbed, and it has the exact same off flavor. I've made this batch before, and it was great, this time, not so much. The first time I made the DFH, I used Pacman as well, so it's not just something the yeast imparts.

I'm thinking something screwed up along the way. I saw no signs of infection. Anyone have any ideas?

First thought is temperature of starter and then what you ferment your beer at. Most Pacman users ferment on the cool side, although Rouge ferments warmer. When you say bready do you mean yeast flavors?

The beer fermented in a swamp cooler around 64-66F. I don't remember quite what the starter fermented at. It was probably low 70's since it sat on the countertop under a towel for a night, then went into the fridge.

As for the flavor, I'm not exactly sure how to describe it. It may be yeasty, but to me it tastes like pizza crust if that makes any sense at all. ;)

I'm not sure what's up. Maybe a Pacman user can help here.

One thing I do when I make my infrequent starters is to taste the starter before using. If it does not taste good at that point I pull out a packet of dry yeast and use that instead. In fact I do that with all my ingredients, sniff and or taste prior to use, same with cooking.

Back