1 sour beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david83

Reaction score
this is my first batch of beer its been bottled for 8 days(i know its not that long) and my friend wanted to taste so i brought a 6 pack over his house.the first 2 we had we both agreed was not carbonated enough but tasted good.the next one i opened tasted 10times better and much more carbonation,his beer not has carbonated has mine.so then i get the last one and SOUR,smelled very bad and sour.for what its worth this beer was among the last i bottled.my question is why would one beer be great and another so sour its undrinkable?the one that tasted good was bottled mid way through the bottling process fwiw.

It could have been a freak gonzo yeast. One of the bottles maybe was not cleaned enough. What where you using to sanitize? By sour do you mean still tastes like beer just sour, or completely undrinkable garbage?

that was my next question is could it have been a bottle i didnt clean well enough.i use easy clean "no rinse"to clean everything.and it smelled rancid and tasted the same.it was undrinkable.

I would say it was just a bad bottle. Those nasty leftover residues breed all sorts of crap. Chock it up to bad sanitizing/cleaning, and move on. I usually soak my bottles for a few hours in Starsan before i rack.

At least your other bottles seem fine, so it's not the whole batch.

well sounds like the answer ill pay more attention at sanitizing time and keep an eye on the rest of the batch.ill also soak the bottles has you mentioned.thanks for the info

Back