1.5" TC Elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyeggoxj

Reaction score
You could make yours own. Their are plenty of guys on the HBT forums that have made their own. However, I didn't build my own I bought one from BrewHardware.com with the solderable TC flange and it is great.

Stout tanks sells a adapter but you'd have to make your own element enclosure. Shouldn't be too hard.

Sent from my C6522 using Home Brew mobile app

Here's a cheaper option:

http://www.stilldragon.com/element-guard-kit-and-adapters.html

I have the brewhardware adapters, and I like them for the most part. The only issue I have is that with the adapter on, and a 10/3 wire sticking out the back, it takes up A LOT of space behind the kettle. An enclosure that let the cord go out the side instead of straight out would work better for me.

I have 2 of stout's adapters that came with my kettles, so I might make my own junction box style enclosure when I run out of other unnecessary projects

edit: Guess that is a 2" TC, nevermind probably

I have a set of 30 gallon stout kettles on the way. So they came with element adapters? What other hardware did they come with? AFAIK I have one element in the boil kettle and one in the hlt. I wish I would have gone with 2 in each. Oh well. I'll have to add some at a later date.

Each electric port comes with an adapter

My kettles came with ball valves (1x on HLT and MLT, 2x on boiler), hose barbs for every port, and clamps and gaskets to hold it all together.

When you clean the valves out, per the instructions, I'd leave the thin teflon ring in place. Take out the main teflon chunks where the ball actually rotates, but leave the super thin ring in place where the two halves of the valve body screw together. Crazy hard to get back into place, and I broke one of the rings. The valve still works (I had to add teflon tape), but I think removing that ring wasn't necessary.

You can find 6 kW elements, but I think that's the largest I've seen with the 1" NPS thread. That might be enough, what is your planned batch size?

I have 5.5 kW, but I'm only on 208 volts (stupid condo 3 phase power), so I get 75% of that in terms of actual power. So.. check your outlet

The only place I have seen the 6kw element is brewmation and those are spendy. Planned batch is 15-gallon with sessions in the 20-25 gallon range. I did the math at one point and with a 5.5kw element it will take FOREVER with 20 gallons. I have 240vac single phase here at the house according to the multimeter.

If it doesn't work fast enough for me I can unplug the brew rig and plug in the tig welder and fix the whole problem.

I know the stout kettles are expensive, but with all the doodads that they come with it turns out to be a decent value. Just wish it didn't take so damn long to get them. And thanks for the info on the ball valves. I'll try not to make the same mistake!

Hey, don't need to justify the cost to me, I'm staring at mine right now :)

The waiting was rough, but worth it. I wrote a thread about how to clean and passivate them I'd you are interested...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Hey, don't need to justify the cost to me, I'm staring at mine right now :)

The waiting was rough, but worth it. I wrote a thread about how to clean and passivate them I'd you are interested...

Could you send the link to that thread? I would be interested for sure!

Brewmation.com has some nice looking TC elements with enclosure. You've already spent the money on Stout Kettles what's a few more on a really nice element.

I just ordered mine from there I will do a full write up with pics when it comes in.

Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewha sells them I think, but like most of their stuff cost is a bit prohibitive

I'm gOing to try and figure out a 90* cord relief for my brewharware enclosure. I have the room for straight out but I just feel like a 90 would look cleaner and take up less space.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Home Brew mobile app

I've never seen a 90° cord conn. You could use a 1/2" jake ell with a sttaight conn.

Brewmation.com has some nice looking TC elements with enclosure. You've already spent the money on Stout Kettles what's a few more on a really nice element.

I just ordered mine from there I will do a full write up with pics when it comes in.

Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I looked in to them briefly but everything was really expensive. The logic you pose is a dangerous game. I have about a $4000 budget that I think I'm going to break as is.

How are they? I like them. We had one questionable batch that had inadequate welds on the housing to adapter connection but as far as I know, they've all been replaced.

Maybe not all... Just popped one apart last night when putting my elements together. Not a big deal at all Bobby, still got some welding to do and was just going to ask my guy to tack them back together. He's supposed to be a star TIG welder so I can't imagine it's not something he couldn't do (Hmmm, triple negative?). Not sure if I got one out of the bad batch or if I'm just a clumsy oaf. I just assumed before I read this that I was a clumsy oaf!

Sweet. I will be ordering some in the near future. Anything else that you recommend I bundle in at the same time?

Look closely at his website and then look 2 and three more times. I think I ended up at around 6 orders by the time I was "done"! He's got the good stuff. Even with my small issue I would still recommend his enclosures.

So I got my kettles in yesterday and they came with 1"nps to 1.5"tc adapters. This is what they look like. I was going to buy adapters from Bobby, but now I am thinking about using these. I was thinking about doing a jbox like Kal does with his weldless elements. Instead of a jam nut it would thread into that adapter and I could easily take the element in and out of the kettle to clean.

I'm thinking about doing the same. I have bobbys connectors, but having a side outlet for the cord would make it easier to store my kettles with the heating element attached.

Take photos, I'm curious to see how it works out

Interesting. That seems like a big plus! I think I will go ahead with it. It should be cheaper and it uses parts that are just sitting here... I will post up pictures if I do go that route.

Hmm, I think I can do that a 'bit' cheaper... but that's always the case.

I may stop by HD tonight on the way home from work. Looks like I just need the cord grip, junction box, and some covers. I guess JB weld just in case too. I wish a big enough watertight cord grip was a little cheaper and easier to find.

Fwiw, the completed version from brewha is very expensive! I would rather go with Bobby's deal for wayyyy less. Even the enclosures from brewmation are a better deal....

I'd walk away from that phone down a few grand... I'm an easy sell.

Get those adapters done? I'm stuck at a local brewery, there's an open house at my condo I'm trying to sell. Half of the listing photos include my brewery :)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Nice place. I agree about the fun building it. I'm building a rig right now and already have decided once I have a pipeline I'll throw it up on Craigslist for around twice what I spent and just hope. I'm a dirty addicted whore when it comes to project planning.

I'd walk away from that phone down a few grand... I'm an easy sell.

Get those adapters done? I'm stuck at a local brewery, there's an open house at my condo I'm trying to sell. Half of the listing photos include my brewery :)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

If you are an easy sell then I will pm you my address and I can beta test some of those products...

Still need to go to Lowes and get those jboxes to drill them out tonight.

Yeah,I get excited when there is a new project. Swmbo says no new projects until we sell the place, so I'm living vicariously through the hbt community.

I don't think she'll notice a few new heating element adapters though...

Yeah,I get excited when there is a new project. Swmbo says no new projects until we sell the place, so I'm living vicariously through the hbt community.

I don't think she'll notice a few new heating element adapters though...

So I made a little progress. I don't have a drill press so I went to a friends house and used his. We drilled 4 holes and then all of a sudden were drinking beer and... Well, I didn't get as far as I would have liked. Kal says to use the little punch tool to put the 1.25" hole is the thin cover plate. I just used a hole saw. It worked great. I would recommend that method. Definitely use a drill press and be smart. If you are a ******* then you will f@#$ it up for sure.

I wasn't paying attention and had to put a ton of jbweld in to fill the gap. It is good and watertight, but there is a bow in the backing plate that I don't like. I might have a set of junction boxes for heating elements up for sale in the market soon... :drunk:

Tomorrow morning they go to paint and then I am gone for the weekend. So I will have to resume on Monday after the paint has time to cure. Monday will be busy though. I am supposed to be welding in some couplers for a keggle.

I don't have a drill press yet (yet, hence the move to a larger home), but have had good luck with a high powered hand drill. I'll probably just clamp the plate to a board, use cutting fluid, and go slow.

Might have some punches at work though, so I'll try that first. There's a draconian 'no personal projects in the shop' policy, but I think that is more of a suggestion.

I did the whole 'kal' panel with a hand drill, that came out nice except for the square holes which I dremmelled.

Back